a64 3400 clawhammer or a64 3700

MAB

Weaksauce
which one would you choose?
best bang for your buck

a64 3400 clawhammer 2.2 1mb L2 cache

a64 3700 2.4 1mb L2 cache

I would get the 3700 right now i have the 3400 but when i build my computer the 3700 was going for like $750.

actually, the 3200+ clawhammer. jsut make sure you can get one that's a cg revision (not that co exists anymore anyhow)

i have one that i can easily get up to 2.55ghz (2.6 if i reeeaaally push it) which is almost a speed rating above the 3700+.. probably a 3900+ or 4000+ :D :D

(cf)Eclipse said:
I have one that i can easily get up to 2.55ghz (2.6 if i reeeaaally push it) which is almost a speed rating above the 3700+.. probably a 3900+ or 4000+ :D :D

No s***!? I have brought mine up too 2.4 and I stated hanging while at idle for a long period of time. Temps weren't that high either-127F. I backed it down to 2.3 and I never hung again. Did you do any other mods/adjustments to reach this?

nope, just messed with multi's and put the voltage as high as my board would allow. (however, going from 1.7 to 1.8v only yeilded 50mhz.. :rolleyes: )

edit: yeah.. does your board lock the agp/pci clock?

(cf)Eclipse said:
However, going from 1.7 to 1.8v only yeilded 50mhz.. :rolleyes: )

edit: yeah.. does your board lock the agp/pci clock?

Wow thats it? screw it MHz is MHz! :p And yes it does lock.

...not going to go into bios...wont increase voltages...ahh F*** it! I'll be back :D

well when you think you know how far you can go, put a nice explanitory post into the a64 oc thread ;)

My 3200+ ClawHammer seems happy at 2.5GHz. I can't go any higher though, because the ram won't let me; it's [email protected], and i'm afraid to push the voltage past the voltage of my IO rail (the 3.3 rail..) because people say that that will cause huge voltage fluctuations which will end up killing my chip. So, at 3.3v I stays.. maybe they will get the RAM booster to work with Neo Platinum, then I'd try for higher. And I don't want to use a divider..

why no divider? it won't have any adverse effects like the athlon xp's had... cause the memory controller is divided off the cpu speed, and is always in sync with the ram, if i understand correctly...
i personally run mine at 5/6 to keep the htt up and the ram speed at a good point

edit: oh yeah.. how much voltage does it take you to do 2.5?

My ram could do better with more voltage, but that would most certainly kill the CPU. There is a performance hit running asynchronously from your HTT; it's not quite as great as with AXP's; but it's still there. My chip does seem happy much past 2.5 anyway, and it's at 1.75 atm. Heats like a biotch. I tried raising the vcore up to 1.85, but that doesn't yeild anything higher than 2.58. It's one of the early "CG" chips; it's a desktop version, but it has the same stepping as many DTR notebook chips made that day. 3400+s as well, so I guess, I got a good chip. I imagine it could run at stock at lower than stock voltage as well. Oh, and yeah if I raise it up to 258HTT, and use a 5/6 divider i get 215DDR, which isn't as good as 250 :D. My board doesn't have any dividers smaller than 5/6; and I'm not quite sure any exist whatsoever.

Back