A64 @ 2.6GHz, worth upgrading?

Killdozer

[H]ard|Gawd
So right now I have a S939 NF4 Motherboard and I don't feel like doing an entire system rebuild at the moment but I kinda get the feeling that my CPU is getting left behind. Most of the time I will be playing TF2, UT3, and WoW. I took a quick look at Newegg and there aren't many CPU choices out there for my S939, and most of the time I'm not sure if upgrading will even get me any more performance. So what's your take on this? Basically it's between some Opterons (175,180,185) and a Manchester 4200+.

Depends what you plan on doing.

For gaming and the ones you mentioned you should be ok.

I would say if your PC is sluggish get a better vid card. The 8800gt is a steal at the moment

8800GT is already ordered through Dell but I still don't think it's enough by itself to get to where I want to be.
EDIT: It's a replacement for my broken X1900XTX 512MB, so I don't expect to be blown away by the performance gains.

from 1900xtx to 8800gt is quite a jump. I have 1900xtx to 2900pro and it was a good difference. 2.6ghz for gaming should be more than enough for now. I guess with the more intensive titles, dual core will be a benefit. Dual cores are $50 now, so yeah.

If that's a single core you're going to be in trouble no matter what video card you throw in for some games. Guitar Hero III likes to stutter on single cores, and Crysis can become nearly unplayable.

Look at the titles hes looking to play. He should be more than fine.

I have to say. My Opteron 175 is an absolute powerhouse great processor. Lasted me a good couple years. I just recently upgraded to an E6300.

So is it worth the $140 to get the Opteron 175 or should I just settle for the X2 Manchester 4200+ for $66? Either one I choose I am going to overclock it.

Honestly, if you want to buy an Opteron 175, I'll sell you mine for $130.

But seriously, I'd go with an X2. Why spend more for an older model. Sure the Opterons have a good past and cache, but I don't see it as a real value if you're buying from an etailer at $140.

I'd like to piggyback on Kill's question with one even more basic.

I have a DFI motherboard:
Board: DFI Corp,LTD LP NF4 Series 1.0
Bus Clock: 194 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 04/06/2006

and I don't understand from reading the DFI website what kind of CPU I can upgrade it to.

I have a 2.60 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 FX and a NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX card but have mostly only played Unreal Tournament 99 but would like to play some of the more modern military games and Unreal3.

I know I need a new cpu, but I didn't know if I could go with a Opteron or not. And how bad is the 7800 GTX in comparison to today's cards?

Thanks for the help!

I'd like to piggyback on Kill's question with one even more basic.

I have a DFI motherboard:
Board: DFI Corp,LTD LP NF4 Series 1.0
Bus Clock: 194 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 04/06/2006

and I don't understand from reading the DFI website what kind of CPU I can upgrade it to.

I have a 2.60 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 FX and a NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX card but QUOTE]

After reading a bit more, I think I'm realizing that my whole system is pretty much a dog and it would be hard to upgrade enough to make it worth it. How much a performance difference is there between the 2.6 dual core Opteron's (which I think is the best chip I can get for this mobo) and the newer Q6600 I was reading about. Clearly my graphics card is ebay material in comparison to what Nvidia has for $200ish.

Suggestions welcome, I just want to be able to play Unreal 3 decently.

Thanks

Well, I just upgraded from a [email protected] to an X2 running at 2.75GHz and there's a huge performance increase in UT3, quite noticeable in WoW, and I have yet to try TF2. Totally worth it...and it seems like I have more room to go up in my overclock.

Well, I just upgraded from a [email protected] to an X2 running at 2.75GHz and there's a huge performance increase in UT3, quite noticeable in WoW, and I have yet to try TF2. Totally worth it...and it seems like I have more room to go up in my overclock.

Can you tell me how UT3 is running? Are you getting constant 62 FPS capped, or do you sometimes have spikes into the high 20s/ low 30s?

Back