a question about the 980 ti and my comptuer

Omionous11

Weaksauce
Hey guy's

I'm waiting to buy the 980 TI hybrid but I had a couple questions. First off will my cpu bottleneck this card or SLI ? I have a Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ( OC too 4.4GHz ) ??

Also I know my Mobo is SLI compatible but ( http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157460 ) if I SLI and it run's at 8x/8x does that effect the performance at all compared to a MoBo that would run 16x16

Thanks in advanced !

That CPU is pretty high end, you should not expect it to bottleneck your cards, especially since you OC'ed it so high.

With regards to SLI, I have only ever heard of very few games actually being bottlenecked by the X8 lanes, all the other games have showed little to no effect even lowering the PCI bandwidth to much lower than that.

That CPU is pretty high end, you should not expect it to bottleneck your cards, especially since you OC'ed it so high.

With regards to SLI, I have only ever heard of very few games actually being bottlenecked by the X8 lanes, all the other games have showed little to no effect even lowering the PCI bandwidth to much lower than that.

Ok great to hear !

Once I get the 980's TI could I take it one step further and go down to 4x ? So I could have a dedicated PhysX card with my 770 4gb or would that be pushing it to far ?

4x would automatically disable SLI. SLI requires all GPU's involved to run on at least x8.

I have no idea whether that is a technical or artificial limitation, but if I were to guess, it's artificial. There is no technical reason why SLI can be activated on PCI-E 2.0 x8, but not PCI-E 3.0 x4, when they both have the same data bandwidth.

Also, having a dedicated PhysX usually gives limited benefit, most cards nowadays can handle PhysX fine on their own, and not many games actually use PhysX.

Thanks for the fast responses ! Now to just wait for some Hybrids to become available !

If you decide to SLI, then you'll want to OC; if you go triple, then yes, it'll be a bottleneck. 1080p might bottleneck at one, will do so at 2, and is guaranteed at 3.

Back