a question about phone lines

wayne

2[H]4U
how much power is coming out of the phone lines?

i heard that the phone company supplies electricity thru these lines thats why when theres a black out, the phones work

i just want to know the approximate voltage, current rating, etc

two reasons is that i m thinking of hooking like 6 fones to a single line and i m not sure if it will supply enough electricity to power them all, AND that i m simply curious

thanks

Your connection to the phone company consists of two copper wires. Usually they are red and green. The green wire is common, and the red wire supplies your phone with 6 to 12 volts DC at about 30 milliamps.

The "ring" signal is a 90-volt AC wave at 20 hertz (Hz).

Directly from howstuffworks.com
Hope it helps you...

I think you should just try it, and if it doesn't work, you could always get an amplifier.

Originally posted by d03boy
Your connection to the phone company consists of two copper wires. Usually they are red and green. The green wire is common, and the red wire supplies your phone with 6 to 12 volts DC at about 30 milliamps.

The "ring" signal is a 90-volt AC wave at 20 hertz (Hz).

Directly from howstuffworks.com
Hope it helps you...

I think you should just try it, and if it doesn't work, you could always get an amplifier.
So that's why I was electric-shocked when wiring the phone line and some one called simultaneously. :D

Originally posted by _Sin_
wtf, why?:confused:
one in each rooms (3), one in the kitchen, one in the living room, and one right next to my potty:D

So that's why I was electric-shocked when wiring the phone line and some one called simultaneously.
LOL

Originally posted by Electroe
So that's why I was electric-shocked when wiring the phone line and some one called simultaneously. :D
It would really piss me off if that happened to me, and it was a telemarketer.

Originally posted by wayne
one in each rooms (3), one in the kitchen, one in the living room, and one right next to my potty:D

LOL

I take it by your description and wanting to hook up 6 phones, that you only have 1 phone jack for your whole living space. My question to you is, who the hell wired/built your home???

Originally posted by Electroe

Ahahahaha :D You, sir, have been sigged

heh...just dont do anything stupid like try to run a lamp from your phone line or anything...the telcos have a way of finding out if your doing that.....and they don't like it one bit.

On the other end...yeah getting called when splicing sucks :eek:

Did you just move in or something? How many phones do you have hooked up now? The main thing to watch out for is the ringer equivalence of the phones, which is usually printed on the bottom somewhere. The lower the sum of the ringer equivalences the better. With the new phones with electronic ringers, hooking several phones to a single line usually isn't that much of a problem, but back in the day, if you hooked up too many mechanical ringers to a line, there just wasn't enough current to drive them. If you have a problem with the phones not ringing properly, start turning off ringers.

Note that the ringer equivalence is REALLY LOW for cordless phones since they're mostly self-powered. So I'd suggest throwing a couple cordless in there, and then you should be good.

http://www.affordablephones.net/theringer.htm
They guarantee to ring your phones up to 5 "Ring Equivalence Numbers", which is about 5 office phone gong ringers. Check the phones you're using, add up the RENs, if less than 5 you should be fine.

i always wondered how much power was running through a phone line.

I started wondering right after i was shocked by my 56k modem while pulling it out of the PCI slot (i was grabbing it by the phone line socket solder points).

I got a shock that numbed my thumb for about an hour, and ever since, my modems line and phone plugs have been reversed (i have to plug the phone line into the phone port, and the phone into the line port. It used to be the other way around).

Bzzzt.

Originally posted by PsychoSocket
I take it by your description and wanting to hook up 6 phones, that you only have 1 phone jack for your whole living space. My question to you is, who the hell wired/built your home???
its not set to stone yet, its just an idea that i m thinking about...to be able to have a phone conviently in every room

well, it is really one phone jack for my whole living space but split out into places in the walls with phone splitters...so technically, its only one phone jack since all the phone jacks connect back to the same place (phone box outside the house)

what really is is that i thought about that phone in every room idea, and then i started to wonder about the electricity coming out of it, so i became more curious in the electricity supplied, than the phone idea althought i may still try it

btw, if i take a multimeter to it, would it tell me a good voltage or would the voltage vary in unstability?

Back