a pretty nice Hp huh?

Actually, not to knock on this system, but my mother bought one as a computer she needed when I was out of town(her old one died) and I set it up for her once I got back and really wasn't impressed with the speed. I am not sure if I am so used to my rig or what. Perhaps windows home wasn't up to par for me, I did not game on the machine. Maybe for that kind of money a good member on [H] would build you a system.

Pretty nice computer. I have a HP myself. The motherboard is probably Asus, since every HP I used had a Asus mobo in it. HP's are pretty solid, and you shouldnt be dissappointed. The only thing you might run into once you put that video card in, is heat problems throughout the case. Once I put my video card in my HP it started getting hot in my case and had to rig another fan in the front I get proper air flow. It only comes with one 120mm fan and that is on the back acting as a exaust. Other than that, you should be happy with it.

Oh yeah, they cram so much junk on the hard drive, that before you even connect it to the internet, delete WILDTANGENT and all that other shit they cram on there.

not a bad system, you might want to get a new video card, and the processor is actually a sempron if you look at the specs it only has 256k of L2 cache, which makes me wonder if it is a 64 bit proc

pstang said:
not a bad system, you might want to get a new video card, and the processor is actually a sempron if you look at the specs it only has 256k of L2 cache, which makes me wonder if it is a 64 bit proc

They never made 3300+ 64s only 3200+ and 3400+

They did make 3300+ semprons though...

ray4389 said:

Wouldn't that be false advertising then? Also, I have the same system btw, the bios says Athlon 64 as well, and states the clock speed.

Hupo said:
3300 amd64 though.... u sound disapointed
Nope not at all, that is a very good computer for the price.. notice the :cool: after the "though"? I just found a 3300 64 a tad bit interesting..

ray4389 said:

Hmm... idk about that..While this is the first I have heard of a 33000 A64, AMD has had wierd processors in the past such as 2900 XP, 3100 XP, 3300 XP and even a 3400 XP (Even though it never got produced)

So they do have silent launches and give these chips to oems and stuff like that...

Well i certainly hear good things about this comp. I got a nyko net extender i use on xbox live. Hopefully i can use it on this computer. This saturday im goingon a cruise til next saturday. Ill collect my paychecks and buy it then(The store by me i dont think they have it) so i have to order. and to the guy who said u might want to get a new video card for it. I got an x800 xl..... and i got 3 case fans to put in the hp....(out of the custom case i bought) Any more thoughts? Like Im gonna play Bf2 Hl2 CSS FEAR all these new games especially WOW i love itttt

Athlon 64 3300+ = 2.4GHz, 256KB L2, S754. HP gets a lot of weird OEM only CPUs from AMD.

The motherboard is in that system is the Asus K8S-LA ("Salmon"), the same as I have in one of my SR1010Z (configure to order). There's no overclocking or tweaking options of any kind in the BIOS, and no BIOS that you can get from Asus. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00257657

You can easily add an AGP card. I ran a 6600GT in mine until last Friday when I upgraded to a x800 XT PE.

Lame manual: http://www.ctechinfo.org/manuals/salmon_manual.pdf

I suggest maybe getting a member of the forums or a friend to build you a system.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939: $222.09

MSI K8N Neo2-F Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra: $74.00

Mushkin Value 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200): $93.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA NCQ 160GB 7200 RPM: $86.50

BenQ Black IDE DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe Model: $59.99

Antec SONATA Piano Black w/ TruePower 380Watt ATX12V: $109.00

Subtotal: $645.57
Shipping: $33.01
Total: $678.58 *Newegg Prices*

and you could drop down to a 3200+ to save 80 bucks and put it back to the same price of the HP

But, the HP is still a good deal on a prebuilt system

Thats the prob i cant build a pc my parents wont approve it. That asus mobo has bo build in graphics? good thing i bought the x800 xl

It does, but you should eplace it. I would also suggest replacing the PSU at some point, as it is 250 watts from the factory. I have a 400watt psu in mine now.

Tanky said:
It does, but you should eplace it. I would also suggest replacing the PSU at some point, as it is 250 watts from the factory.
The A1000 series come with 300W PSUs. I have 2. :p

SN4p said:
I suggest maybe getting a member of the forums or a friend to build you a system.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939: $222.09

MSI K8N Neo2-F Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra: $74.00

Mushkin Value 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200): $93.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA NCQ 160GB 7200 RPM: $86.50

BenQ Black IDE DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe Model: $59.99

Antec SONATA Piano Black w/ TruePower 380Watt ATX12V: $109.00

Subtotal: $645.57
Shipping: $33.01
Total: $678.58 *Newegg Prices*

and you could drop down to a 3200+ to save 80 bucks and put it back to the same price of the HP

But, the HP is still a good deal on a prebuilt system
To save you the time in the future, please read the recent guidelines we've posted for this forum:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=943091

will do, didnt mean to break the rule...just happened to stroll in off the main page :D

wow 256kb of L2 cache, i havent seen that little cache since my thouroghbred XP.....but other than that should be a good computer. I personally dont like HP or Compaq they keep dying on me, especially the new ones, may just be me i dunno, but its seems like a good choice :D

I serviced a unit almost identical to that about a week ago (installed wireless network card) only difference was hers was a 3400+. Therre not bad OEM units and thats not too bad of a price, especially if you have a vid card worth throwing in there. Only thing you need to remember is like most OEM PC's its going to be loaded down with a bunch of crap-ware you'll probably never use or need, uninstall the added software from it if you do buy it and that will help speed things up for you.

And how do i uninstall all the stupid software HP puts on the pc?

And will a nyko net extender work on a pc?

The A1112N uses ATI Radeon Xpress 200 chipset, ASUS is the mobo, model K8S-LA, HP refers to it as Salmon-GL6E

tazzmissionx said:
The A1112N uses ATI Radeon Xpress 200 chipset, ASUS is the mobo, model K8S-LA, HP refers to it as Salmon-GL6E
No, the K8S-LA uses the SiS760 chipset (AGP). The XPRESS 200 is a PCI-E chipset, which this system isn't. :p

I already posted the links to the motherboard and manual several posts above. Plus I have 2 HP systems with that motherboard.

tazzmissionx said:
hmmm......pxc you showed your link for the motherboard, now I show you mine for the A1112N.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00431441

this doesn't make any sense, the A1112N model specs list that motherboard(K8S-LA) as having the Xpress chipset which is PCI-E, but your link to the K8S-LA mb itself is listed using SiS chipset uses AGP
It's a misprint for the chipset section. All other specs for that system on hp.com show it's an Asus K8S-LA board (SiS760 chipset) with AGP.

Either dozens of other pages are totally wrong, or two words on one page are wrong. Guess which is more likely. :p

I have the Compaq Presario SR1010z from the CompUSA July deal. The computer does come with over 6 gigs of crap. They did not include any recovery disc's in the box. I had to call them up to get them to send them out. It can very with the CSR if you will get them free or not. The thing to do if you didn't get recovery/install disc's is when you call tell them you reformatted the drive and deleted the recovery partition and the OS partition. other wise they will tell you to use the backup to CD/DVD option included in their software. They will charge you for the recovery disc unless you need them to get the computer going. The recovery disc's they send you are 7 or 8 cd's of the ghosted installed crap of their's. So you will have spend more time installing then more time uninstalling all the crap. I used a XP Home OEM SP2 disc for a clean install, It has to be SP2, SP1 disc's key are different then SP2 keys. Just used the product code on the side of the computer, activated without problem. I have a X800 XT PE in mine also.
I have no air conditioning so when it is hot here in SoCal it gets too hot in the computer so I installed a Arctic Cooling Silencer 64 Ultra TC L. The problem is the bios are set for RPM sensor on the CPU fan. The AC Silencer is Temperature controlled fan so the computer shuts down at boot because the fan is lower RPM. I looked in the Phoenix-Award Bios and could not find a setting for switching to Temperature sensor for CPU fan. Anyone know how to switch the fan sensor or is temperature sensor not supported by the 3.12 Phoenix-Award Bios. I will have to make a separate post on this problem. Thanks for the help.

Edit: The CPU in my SR1010z is a AMD 64 3400+ Clawhammer that is clocked @ 2.4MHz stock and has a 512 L2 which is another odd AMD CPU. People who got Serprom CPU's from the Comp deal had 64 supported CPU's.

swatX said:
i think its a sempron64 3300+ .

If it is, then why would they prominently plaster AMD 64 stickers on the box as well as the case?

If you look on AMD's website, there is no sempron processor that runs at 2.4 ghz

HTML:
http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/default.aspx

i would suggest you drive down to the store and open that fucker up, and look inside.. we sell HP's at my work, and i've seen $1k media centers with p4 630's with 1gb ram and the works, and that shit had NO AGP and NO PCI-E, just 3 fucking pci slots... so dont go buying it without inspecting the inside first... or you may be unpleasantly surprised.

just a tip from a fellow OEM enthusiast.. ;) (creams over dell server...)

Back