A mATX S775 mobo with 4x DDR3 that supports 16GB?

mpeg4v3

Gawd
Before anyone says anything: yes, I realize how ridiculous of a request this is. Trust me, I don't want to be looking for something like this either. But it's not for me, it's for a faculty member, and if any of you work in academia, you know that tenured faculty will not budge one bit when they get their mind set on something.

This particular faculty member happens to have 16GB of spare DDR3 laying around (4x 4GB), a Q6600, and an mATX case, which he wants to build a spare lab computer out of, he just needs a motherboard. Despite my heavy insistence that he just spend the extra few hundred and get a modern, LGA1155 system, he refuses to "waste even one part, especially a perfectly good quad core CPU".

So here I am. Trying to find a LGA775 microATX motherboard with 4x DDR3 slots, that can support 16GB of RAM. Suffice to say, I have not had much luck. The only motherboard I've been able to find that even has 4x DIMM is the ECS G41T-M9, which says it only supports up to 8GB of RAM. For all I know this could be a chipset limitation of all the mATX boards from that era, but I haven't been able to find any other motherboards to compare.

Does anyone else know of any other such boards that do support 16GB? Or instead, if there is a chipset limitation? I would love to have some solid proof to tell this guy "no, it's not possible, stop being cheap".

The Intel G41 chipset officially supports up to 4GB of DDR3-1066 or 8GB of DDR2.

Intel's page on the Q6600 has a listing of all the compatible Intel chipsets. I don't see any that support more than 8GB, though I only checked a few of them.

Back