a matched pair??

oymd

Weaksauce
To have 2x256MB Dual Channel DDR 400 Ram working properly, must they be "a matched pair" like those found in various kits by Kingston and others, or simply getting two separate sticks of 256MB DDR 400 by the SAME Manufacturer with the same CAS timings would do??

Same size RAM by any manufacturer would do.

You'd probably want them w/ the same latency settings, so made by the same manufacturer is recommended (same default SPD timings).

When they say "matched pair", it really just means they popped in two sticks from a pile of RAM, tested em, and they work.

Dual Channel is a feature of the motherboard, not the ram.
I have put two different sized sticks of HyperX (same speed though) in my NF7-S board...and it performed nicely in Dual Channel.

The Dual Channel Kits of ram is only ram they have tested that they will work together for sure. I'm very sure that one can set the motherboard to set timings by SPD, then put a stick of high quality Mushkin and a stick of generic industry grade mem in together...and it'll still operate in Dual Channel...though with ultra crappy timings due to the industry grade stick.

I had a corsair xms pc3200 512mb stick i bought a year ago.. recently i purchased exact same stick to pair up and use on my new system.. they wont go dual channel with my epox ep-4pca3+ mobo.. I think they have different revision numbers like 2.1 and 3.2 or something like that....

i did the same thing emrett and it worked, one is version 1.1 and one is version 1.2 and i purchased them over a year apart....... only thing is the first stick wont OC for shiznit as it was one of first sticks on planet that could do 400mhz c2 :)

prices between the matched pair and unmatched are usually the same (for corsair 3200LLRE it was for me)

Back