A little late but, how does steam work?

pookguy88

Gawd
I want to play HL2 but I'm not sure the cheapest way for me to do this. Basically I'm wondering, if I buy the cheapest version of HL2 avail. (in store or online at steam) can I d/l CS:S and DoD for free?

pookguy88 said:
I want to play HL2 but I'm not sure the cheapest way for me to do this. Basically I'm wondering, if I buy the cheapest version of HL2 avail. (in store or online at steam) can I d/l CS:S and DoD for free?

It depend on the package you take .

Click on package details : http://storefront.steampowered.com/v2/index.php?area=game&AppId=220&

I think i bought the silver package the day it was released , it came with CS:S and HL2MP . Nothing more . I don't think this package is aviable online anymore .

The Silver Package came with everything that was currently on Steam at the time, and DoD:Source and Half-Life: Source down the road. Probably the best $60 deal I've ever seen. As far as I know, CS: Source comes with any Half-Life 2 purchase, but DoD: Source is only included with the Silver and Gold packages on Steam. Otherwise, both are also sold seperately.

sharakkhal said:
The Silver Package came with everything that was currently on Steam at the time, and DoD:Source and Half-Life: Source down the road. Probably the best $60 deal I've ever seen. As far as I know, CS: Source comes with any Half-Life 2 purchase, but DoD: Source is only included with the Silver and Gold packages on Steam. Otherwise, both are also sold seperately.

So i took an other package and i don't remember .

There is a VALUE package without CS:S .

CS: S is not automatically given to you.

I boought the platinum package and only recieved HL1, OpFor, Blue Shift, CS, DoD, HL2 Demo, Team Fortress: C, Darwinia, Codename Gordon.

I then bought HL2 and I was given nothing else.

You have to buy CS: S as well as DoD: S.

If you're only interested in CS:S and DoD:S, you can now buy a box in retail stores that comes with those 2 games, and another smaller game.. like CS:Z or something.. for $29. This does not include HL2.

I'm sure you can still buy HL2 too, just don't know how much and what it comes with.

When I bought HL2 in store, it came with CS:S.

so basically its not like HL1 where if you bought the game you could just d/l CS and DoD?

Exactly, they are now seperate. You may still get CS and DoD but they aren't going to be source. They'll be the original ones.

The source games are pretty cheap now off of Steam though; I think they are $10 a game now.

AfterAnn said:
So i took an other package and i don't remember .

There is a VALUE package without CS:S .

I just checked Steam and there is HL2 without CS:S now, for $29. The original packages are gone, but what amounts to the same content as the previously $60 HL2 Silver package is now the $80 Valve Complete Pack. So much for games going down in price after they've been out for a while. :)

Anyway, back to the OP's question. CS:S and DoD:S aren't free downloads unless it's specifically included with your HL2 game. If you only buy HL2, then you'd have to buy CS:S and DoD:S seperately (they're sold as a pair in at least once instance of packaging).

I bought a hard copy of Half-Life 2 in the store and it came with CS:S free (even advertised it on the box).

Back