A GPU (or three) cooling idea

chx

Gawd
Let's say you have a desktop chassis with a front fan and a top fan (rotate it for tower). Now create a fanless GPU heatsink with bent fins so that each fan starts at the front and ends up at the top. This way the airflow is directed from front to the top. The case fans will move the air. A single pair of fans (especially something like a a pair of FHP 141) could serve three GPUs. What's wrong with this idea?

Basically requires custom fabrication and matching for each type of case, if I understand you right. Would be better if you had a picture of what you wanted to do.

Doesn't require a specific case -- just the type of case where you have two perpendicular fans around the GPU area.

VuUbbQr.png

Fans would have to be close enough to the GPUs to channel the airflow properly, or some sort of duct used. Middle GPU may not get the same amount of air due to dead spot caused by the motor of the fans. GPUs have no direct control over the fan speed. Fin surface area may be an issue. Cost of making curved fins and a heatpipe system to serve it. And then there is the people are stupid factor where they don't set things up properly and blame the manufacturer for a poor design, resulting in a very limited market.

I think this would problably at least kind of work if:

You got the fans as close as you could to end of the graphics cards
You installed a shroud between the fans and the first couple of inches of the heatsink
You had some way of manufacturing a curved heatsink.
You also had a vent above the gpus to exhaust all the hot air from the case.

As I recall, Apple did somethink like this on some of the old Mac Pro's, where they'd basically separate part of the case to have different cooling airflow from the rest.

I further suspect that it would not work as well as the typical design with several heat pipes and a series of intake and exhaust fans installed in the case. This solution is more complex, and I suspect more difficult to manufacture.

Back