a big ... to Blizzard

Andross182

Gawd
Hey blizzard, you milk us WoW players for 14.99 apiece a month, and with over 5 million players, you make 749,500,000 a month from us. So how the hell can you not even patch a game right? This has happened with diablo 2 and starcraft in the past as well. So next time actually patch a game right for once......no more server issues. If the patch is not ready for release with out problems DO NOT RELEASE IT!

*end rant*

I never started paying... I did the 10 day free Trial and thought the game sucked and it's for people who have all the time in the world... I can't handle school, work, life in general and still have time to play that and pay for it. That's whY I play Guild Wars... cause I play it once in a blue moon and don't have to pay fees. w00t!

I do miss Final Fantasy Online though... that was great for me. :( I can't afford the fees and didn't have time to play anymore.

a big F*CK YOU to Blizzard

Per the rules, please refrain from swearing in thread titles, and that includes implied swearing. Also, SHOUTING.

I agree..

I just got wow like two weeks ago and in that time they have been down atleast 7 times. I can't see myself paying for this game.. (im on free trial). In the time I have played it my pings have been 200+ some times around 400 and I'm on a 6m/500k cable line. Liked I'm gonna pay for that crap..

Voltron said:
I agree..

I just got wow like two weeks ago and in that time they have been down atleast 7 times. I can't see myself paying for this game.. (im on free trial). In the time I have played it my pings have been 200+ some times around 400 and I'm on a 6m/500k cable line. Liked I'm gonna pay for that crap..

yeah all the servers have sucked for the past 2 weeks, i dont know whats up....but bliz is rollin in the moola and are just being retarted...

They probably are trying to fix things, and asuming thats the case it just proves that not every problem, developement or otherwise can be solved by pileing money on it.

Someone needs to recheck their math. Calc.exe is your friend.

sure, you're playing $15 bucks a month to play, so what?

servers aren't going to be perfect, reps aren't going to do everything you want, no point in complaining.

if you think WoW is bad, you should have seen how bad Everquest was back in the day. their support was horrible but you know what, the game was fun 99% of the time, so that 1% of waiting around for stupid server problems wasn't that bad.

at least you can play most of the time, that should be good enough.

Andross182 said:
Hey blizzard, you milk us WoW players for 14.99 apiece a month, and with over 5 million players, you make 749,500,000 a month from us.

*end rant*

you need to take one of those 0s off, its only 75million a month, not 750million :rolleyes:

Dapperdan said:
you need to take one of those 0s off, its only 75million a month, not 750million :rolleyes:
Still, that covers quite a bit more than the cost of renting server farms...

Also you do not know how much of that money blizzard sees, there are other companies that have a pice of the pie and my guess it is larger than blizzards. I would not be surprised if they are only getting a small %.

2 days in the last month for me there were issues with the servers and only one day i could not play. I just cant get upset over that.

I believe they have been experiencing problems recently. Not in Europe though. Yep good ol' Europe is getting no down time except for the patch being put up today.

Guys, let's think that we know all of the complications that can arise when the patch is working. Seriously, can we get a server administrator in here to explain to everyone what goes into doing something like this? To about 100+ servers?

EDIT: At once.

Andross182 said:
Hey blizzard, you milk us WoW players for 14.99 apiece a month, and with over 5 million players, you make 749,500,000 a month from us. So how the hell can you not even patch a game right? This has happened with diablo 2 and starcraft in the past as well. So next time actually patch a game right for once......no more server issues. If the patch is not ready for release with out problems DO NOT RELEASE IT!

*end rant*

Well... tell ya what. You become a game developer, start an award winning MMORPG and see how well you do.

tornadotsunamilife said:
I believe they have been experiencing problems recently. Not in Europe though. Yep good ol' Europe is getting no down time except for the patch being put up today.

It took a few hours more than usual, but they even pre-warned us so I can't complain.

Framerate said:
Guys, let's think that we know all of the complications that can arise when the patch is working. Seriously, can we get a server administrator in here to explain to everyone what goes into doing something like this? To about 100+ servers?

EDIT: At once.

complicated system

stuff works in theory

shit breaks

simple really no testing is 100%
what you are looking at is people working their arse off trying to fix the prob

wow admins are most likly 9-5 people except when it breaks then its 30/10 system the 40 hour day trying to fix it

the software guys will have to look into it and the db guys will be checking their stuff

its not just one box its probably a complicated cluster of machines several san setups per server huge system requirements and then you get everyone hammering a few servers or such

the test realm on the other hand is probably a lot simpler especially in the software side
they can hose it every other week so problems that arrise after running it for extended time periods don't show up
kinda like the win95 bug that showed up after 40 odd days of uptime

Damn drama queens. Oh noes, I can't log in to play tonight. Everyone should know by now that whenever patches are released, the servers are usually fubared that day. The same is true in about every other game as well.

Some people forget the lengths that Blizzard goes to to try and make their customers happy.

1. Upon initial release, they halted sales to ease the overburden on the current servers.
2. They are adding servers to spread out people to help alleviate the over poulation issues now.
3. They are doing realm transfers to help alleviate the overpopulation problems/
4. They add content to keep both the casual and raider players happy.

Best advice, if you think they are so bad, stop playing and stop paying. Simple enough. Don't support somone if you think they are doing a bad job.

/rant

tacticus said:
kinda like the win95 bug that showed up after 40 odd days of uptime
Win95 had a 40 day uptime? :p

i agree I hate paying the 14.99 whens its not even that. they have been chargeing me 16.51 a month humm taxes.
I just stoped payment I am done. no time to play since oblivion came out.

Tetrahedron said:
i dont know why people like blizzard in the first place.

Blizzard has been loved for YEARS. I've only seen the "hate Blizzard" crowd since WoW was released. The Warcraft and Starcraft series are simply classic.

Look the only thing that is going to help anybody, is filling out an application @ Blizzard. If you feel like whining do it on their forums with the toddlers they have posting over there. Most popular game ever. Deal with it. So what? 75+million a month won't do you a damn thing if your people are still human and your servers are prone to the same random failures and catastrophic unforseen bugs that Joe & Sally's E-Machine is. That is the nature of the beast ladies and gentlemen. They even gave affected players a free day, so.... Just strap in and wait untill the oxygen masks retract.

Waaahhh.

Any time someone starts a post with a random calculation of "Derr herr, 6 million times 14.99 a month equals X amount of dollars", I immediately know its an incredibly ignorant and uninformed rant.

A) Yay for 75 million a month going to a huge corporation that spent YEARS producing a product with 0 income. Thats right. They spent years upon years making this game, and during that time, they had no income from it. None.

B) 75 million dollars to a huge company with thousands of employees, servers, and bills is NOT THE SAME as 75 million to Joe Schmo Mr "I complain on forums with my life", who lives in his parent's basement and doesn't pay rent. Its surprisingly different.

C) I'm sure the electric bill for the servers that you play on is probably about a million on month :p. Ok, its not, but you get my point. That stuff isn't cheap, or free, to keep information on. Neither is the paychecks Blizzard doles out to its many thousands of employees. You have to stop thinking that just because 75 million is coming into the company every month, they are actually EARNING 75 million a month. Its most likely much smaller.

D) Shit happens, deal with it. Anyone who doesn't understand that has obviously never worked in the IT or computer field. Things don't always go as planned, and sometimes theres no way around it. Whining like a child about how much income a company makes doesn't help.

E) There comes a point where throwing money at an issue does not solve it. Once you get "Too many hands in the honey pot", they get stuck and production actually goes down. Everyone always assumes "More money thrown at problem, quicker resolution comes". No.

F) If you hate the game so much, make a statement by quitting the game. Stop paying for the product you are personally dissatisfied with. Ranting on the forums accomplishes nothing.

Direwolf20 said:
A) Yay for 75 million a month going to a huge corporation that spent YEARS producing a product with 0 income. Thats right. They spent years upon years making this game, and during that time, they had no income from it. None.
That is not a justification. They had income from other games as well as the sale of licensed products. Also, this is something that EVERY game developer faces so it's not like Blizzard is uniqute.

Direwolf20 said:
B) 75 million dollars to a huge company with thousands of employees, servers, and bills is NOT THE SAME as 75 million to Joe Schmo Mr "I complain on forums with my life", who lives in his parent's basement and doesn't pay rent. Its surprisingly different.
I highly doubt Blizzard has thousands of employees.

Direwolf20 said:
D) Shit happens, deal with it. Anyone who doesn't understand that has obviously never worked in the IT or computer field. Things don't always go as planned, and sometimes theres no way around it. Whining like a child about how much income a company makes doesn't help.
In the real world, if you're dealing with something that actually matters you don't "deal with it." The problem gets fixed and it gets fixed NOW. At my friend's company, this IT guy basically had the attitude that "shit happens." The next such shit that happened was him getting fired.

tacticus said:
simple really no testing is 100%
what you are looking at is people working their arse off trying to fix the prob

I can't help but picture these people in Hawaii sipping some bourbon reading this post over their wireless internet connection from their laptop, looking over the beaches, and asking their maid for a change of pants.

I'm sure their bills were payable just fine before WoW. With the income from WoW they should be doing something better. Last I heard they bought a bunch of kickass servers from HP or something.

Cant remember where it was. Anyway Blizzard is just greedy :(

I talked to a Blizzard Customer service rep last week and she said there were almost 6 million active accounts.

That is almost 90 million a month, or about 1 Billion dollars a year. Considering Retail PC game sales in the US were only 950 million last year this one game alone (worldwide) is basically outdoing the entire US PC gaming market.

WoW is right!

Too bad Blizzard hosed up so many support and reliability aspects of the game.

This is all public knowledge if you dig around a bit, but each realm consists of at least:

1 item/chat server
2 continent servers
1 battleground server
1 instance server

So each "server" is actually a cluster in itself. Most realms consist of more servers than that actually. Realms with populations that do a lot of end-game tend to have at least one seperate server for stuff like MC, BWL, AQ40. Whatever programs they run seem to be pretty complex. One night my guild was in BWL and our instance just froze. We couldn't get our characters logged out. They were perpetually stuck logged in. However, at the same time another guild was inside BWL and they were running just fine, in fact more than fine since our freezing apparently opened up some resources and they were lag free for the night.

This patch has been the worst one in terms of things breaking in quite some time. I'm sure they'll reimburse us with AWESOME rested XP at level 60 for our troubles, or maybe credit our accounts for 1/10th of the downtime if we're lucky. When you're in a high end raiding guild, it's not a matter of simply logging off and doing something else; it's hard to organize 40 people, most of whom in my guild are in college or work full time, to get online for the better part of a single night. It's not like we can casually log on at any time and decide we're suddenly going to kill Nef. While the actual run doesn't take that long, we do plan a week or two ahead and it's not like our bosses are going to suddenly going to say, "Oh, server was down? Well shit, if you didn't kill Nef yet you can have tomorrow off too!" It's much like playing in an amateur sports league. You schedule your fun around game times; you can't schedule he league around you.

noobtech said:
I never started paying... I did the 10 day free Trial and thought the game sucked and it's for people who have all the time in the world... I can't handle school, work, life in general and still have time to play that and pay for it. That's whY I play Guild Wars... cause I play it once in a blue moon and don't have to pay fees. w00t!

I do miss Final Fantasy Online though... that was great for me. :( I can't afford the fees and didn't have time to play anymore.

FF Online was about 10 times the grind for half the progress as WoW.

Direwolf20 said:
E) There comes a point where throwing money at an issue does not solve it. Once you get "Too many hands in the honey pot", they get stuck and production actually goes down. Everyone always assumes "More money thrown at problem, quicker resolution comes". No.

Which reminds me that I still haven't read a certain book.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
if you think WoW is bad, you should have seen how bad Everquest was back in the day. their support was horrible but you know what, the game was fun 99% of the time, so that 1% of waiting around for stupid server problems wasn't that bad.

that happend once every 6 months when an expantion would come out, and the only really bad one was when luclin shipped, being that the expantion was missing more then half its content (thanks for liquidating VI, SOE) pretty much nothing worked, including bards ... again

i just can't wait to see the problems blizzard would have with the expantion, maybe they'll break paladins? (please i hope they do!)

Blizzard has been loved for YEARS. I've only seen the "hate Blizzard" crowd since WoW was released. The Warcraft and Starcraft series are simply classic.

Actually I believe that the Blizzard hate started around the time that pvp was massive in Diablo 2 and honestly lacked support from it's creators. Why do I say this? Because they took out life leech and the cow level in the 1.10 patch. That basically ruined all the fun for me and about two dozen friends I had made online with the game and we all stopped playing shortly after that.

I don't believe that Blizzard understood the concept of the thrill, adventure, and awe of competeting for ultra rare items to make super pvp fighters - to spend hours of time or money and focus on them - then duel with someone that actually took time, patience, thought, and a plan. This made dueling fun and the only reason for many to continually play.

After that horrid 1.10 patch we were all left with the "one click kill" in dueling (which gets boring quickly) and took much of the fun out of the original pvp dueling...something that I'll never forget, and the reason why I refuse to play WoW.

*shakes fist at Blizzard*

/end rant

EternityZX9 said:
Actually I believe that the Blizzard hate started around the time that pvp was massive in Diablo 2 and honestly lacked support from it's creators. Why do I say this? Because they took out life leech and the cow level in the 1.10 patch. That basically ruined all the fun for me and about two dozen friends I had made online with the game and we all stopped playing shortly after that.

I don't believe that Blizzard understood the concept of the thrill, adventure, and awe of competeting for ultra rare items to make super pvp fighters - to spend hours of time or money and focus on them - then duel with someone that actually took time, patience, thought, and a plan. This made dueling fun and the only reason for many to continually play.

After that horrid 1.10 patch we were all left with the "one click kill" in dueling (which gets boring quickly) and took much of the fun out of the original pvp dueling...something that I'll never forget, and the reason why I refuse to play WoW.

*shakes fist at Blizzard*

/end rant

Can't remember if the synergy patch was 1.09(or maybe it was even 1.08, my memory sucks). But that basically reinvented the entire game. There was also those world event things in the expansion were you fought 'uber diablo'. Blizzard took diablo 2 as far as they could without making an MMORPG (somethign which i wish they did). And tbh there were only 3 real pvp classes in Diablo 2: sorceress, barbarian, hammerdin...

Back