980ti reference cooler vs. acx2.0

Slava

2[H]4U
I have EVGA 980 Ti SC with reference cooler. While I play the game, it gets up to 80-83c with the fan cranked up to 80%. I was thinking of returning it and getting ACX2.0 version. If anybody have experience with ACX2.0 version. Let me know your input.

Also my original card was supposed to be ACX2.0 but I play to do SLI. Last i've heard was that ACX card's dump heat inside the case, while reference does not.

Reference exhaust out the back, ACX exhaust out of the sides of the card.
980-backplate-installed.jpg

i just want a comparison of how loud 980 ti acx oced is to the 980 ti reference oced on load with a custom fan setting and temperatures at load. from a review it looks like only 4 db difference on load.

If you have the room, get the 980ti hybrid. It beats both stock and ACX hands down.

I never knew it went out the bottom Top having it exhaust out the back is silly cause of lack of space and metal bars for the bracket plus the ports are all in the way.

I never knew it went out the bottom Top having it exhaust out the back is silly cause of lack of space and metal bars for the bracket plus the ports are all in the way.

Depends on the case/configuration. For my setup, out the backplate is the best way.

I have mine in a HAF-XB so there is plenty of air flow in and around the case,
corsair-link-haf-xbe.jpg

ZEV1DHn.jpg

That's pretty much it right now...

CLCs are meant as intakes though as they need to run cool air through the radiator to properly evacuate heat. As an exhaust a CLC is hardly better than a stock cooler. An ACX style cooler is miles better than an exhaust CLC blowing hot air through the rad.

CLCs are meant as intakes though as they need to run cool air through the radiator to properly evacuate heat. As an exhaust a CLC is hardly better than a stock cooler. An ACX style cooler is miles better than an exhaust CLC blowing hot air through the rad.

you wouldn't have much hot air inside the case if all your major heat sources are exhausting. if your cpu and gpus are all exhausting the hot air through a radiator then the inside of the case will still be close to the room temperature which is actually more ideal than inside being hot. But yes with acx inside it will get hotter especially sli. But I don't think it will make a huge difference for CPU overclocking with just one card.

Last edited:
The air my Titan X hybrid's are pushing out of the rads is surprisingly hot, I would never put these rads as intake, regardless of what kind of airflow I had.

That being said I have a 900d with these rads installed at the bottom, being directly fed by the fans on the other side of the bottom section of the case. I imagine that is probably the optimal config for clc's like these.

Meant as intakes? Hardly better than stock when used as an exhaust? Uh, no...

The modified AIO cooler I pictured above is mounted as a rear-exhaust, and it's cooling better than the stock cooler while also being quieter than the stock cooler. My case air is nice and cool because (A) the graphics card isn't dumping all of its heat into the case, (B) my CPU doesn't really run all that hot, even with a 4.5GHz overclock. Temps are excellent for both the CPU and GPU.
dcdLWER.png

Notes:
- PSU fan is usually OFF because the system usually doesn't exceed the power-draw threshold for passive operation. Will turn on automatically during some more-intensive games.
- Rear-exhaust fan speed auto-scales based on both CPU and GPU temperature. A significant rise in the temperature of either component will increase the speed of this fan (This prevents a rise in CPU-temp from impacting GPU-temp)
- Top-exhaust is running at ~600 RPM, fixed-speed. This is enough to assist the restricted rear-exhaust fan (Without this, CPU heat WOULD build-up in the top-rear corner of the case).
- Front-intake is running at ~600 RPM, fixed-speed. This is mainly just to keep the hard disks cool.

The air my Titan X hybrid's are pushing out of the rads is surprisingly hot, I would never put these rads as intake, regardless of what kind of airflow I had.
Excellent point. I got an AIO to prevent the heat from my graphics card from entering the case in the first place (everything runs cooler as a result, and all fan speeds can be lower). Mounting it as an intake fan would defeat the purpose of going with an AIO cooler.

Last edited:
This is 2015, why can't we have better cooling than reference and still exhaust out the back :)

Get an MSI 4G Twin Frozr card which exhausts air out the front or back. Asus Strix does a similar setup, though on both the heatsink ratios between front and back are weighted toward exhausting air into the case still. Probably the best you are going to get.

Back