9800xt sucks

Hello, This is my problem a little while ago i asked if a 9800pro at $300 was a better upgrade over the xt at $500 well i got good advice to get the 9800pro but instead had the extra cash and got the ati branded xt from best buy. Problem is that i upgraded from a g force 4 ti 4400 @300/610 here are the benches with that set up

Athlon 2800+ Barton then @ 2266
Abit nf7-s new drivers and all
Pny gforce 4 ti 4400 300/610
Two maxtor 80's in sata raid 0
4 partitions of 37.2
C:\windows
D:\video Games
E:\multimedia files
F:\All program files

500/550 enermax psu
1 gig of kingston 2700 @166/2/6/6 (turbo) (nonsync)

2001 se 3dmarks all perfomance 1024/768 12500
Quake 3 arena stock timedemo 1 demo 1= 240ish fps
3dmark 03 1600ish

Now here is my new setup

Athlon 2800+ oc @2338.64mhz @1.8v
same mobo
Ati Branded 9800xt 256megs with od enabled
same hard drive setup
same psu
same ram settings

2001se same settings all perfomance was 17000 ish
then it went to like a little over 16000
quake 3 same demo= 251.6fps why is this it is only about ten frames faster then my old g 4 ? wtf
3dmark 03 went up alot over 6000ish

I just would like to know what the heck is the problem here i got this card to go ahead and make it so my system would have a better card for doom 3 and such but i see that the perfomance is not all that great at quake 3 ie: everyone i see has like over 300fps and that is with alot less cpu speed then me?

The other concern is why did my 3dmarks 2001 go from like 17000 to like 16000 is this card rap or is it just because overdrives is enabled?

Can i run my mobo with that value ram in sysnc ?

I think that the single channel setup now is holding me back the most with this setup!

please any input would help!

ps: Dues ex 2 sure did get alot better with this card not choppy at all and playable at like 1280/1024 all goddies enabled :)

The problem is that you didn't mention what settings you're using with that card. The 9800xt isn't much better unless you use AA and AF, crank up the resolution, or if you get to a good taxing game (ie Deus Ex 2).

Just be patient and realize that your card will rock with new games.. they just aren't out yet.. heh.. ;)

K-Max

Yeah well at 1600/1200 on that g 4 everything maxed ie:anti/antstrophic? i would get 30 to 40 fps constant now i get 8x 16x and 99/100 fps
I dont think the card is that bad just that it should be a little stronger at low rezz then that g 4 dont you think?

you can run all ram in dual channel as long as its identical to each other

timings dont matter

well one time i did and it just would not boot and just beeped
i did however leave the ram at turbo maybe i should go ahead and set it to optimal them set the ram at sync ? and yes i think they are both the same got em in a gig pack

Tell you right now all those scores suck balls for the setup...

i was pull as much as your 9800XT with my Ti4600...

I think its because you memory is not sync..either set you CPU back to 166 and relax the memroy timings and sync you memory and CPU...

on a AMD rig runnig sync is a must, no question asked...

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Your old card was DX8.1? capable, your new card is a true DX 9 card. Also your ram is a bit slow and might be a bottleneck in your system.

Originally posted by Broken Sword
Yeah well at 1600/1200 on that g 4 everything maxed ie:anti/antstrophic? i would get 30 to 40 fps constant now i get 8x 16x and 99/100 fps
I dont think the card is that bad just that it should be a little stronger at low rezz then that g 4 dont you think?

I still just think you're asking too much, you're more than doubling your fps. Doing 100 fps at 1600x1200 and full AA/AF is really superb IMO.

It might be your setup that's holding you back a bit, but I still think that it's a good score.

K-Max

somehow i dout that..

Well im back from work and for the hell of it i set my ram to run in dual channel and also noticed that in the shader test in 2001 the fish looked real good even though i set everything to low i really was madd because i couldnt seem to get the settings right but i did and in the end game 4 alone i got 145.9 fps and a total 3dmark of 18062 kick ass!

the 9800's are not great at dx8.1 so the scores are actually acceptable but not great i pull 17k with my 9800pro so yeah might be some tweaking to do yet.

really....i would kille for ANY 9800xt....besides, i'm bustin 19.7k with my 9700 pro, gimme a 9800xt i guarantee you 22k easy....somethings wrong with his system tho...

you've got to be doing something wrong
i got 18,700 with my 9700pro on a 2500+ @ 2220mhz but my ram was runnin at 410mhz

you need to check a few things
in your bios make sure cpu interfaced is enable this gave me 350 marks in 03'
the go into your direct diag and make sure click on your first display tab and make sure your agp acceleration is enabled
if you dont know how to get there goto run then DXDIAG
2 see if you can get some new ram like 3200/3500
with that ram you arent going to get the bandwidth you need for some screaming scores my 9800xt score in 2001 was 19.5k and 6100 in 2003 before overclocks i get 2001 22.5k and 7400 in 03 with overclocks in my sig

The reason cards tend to bottom out at lower resolutions, is because at low resolutions, your bottle neck is NOT the video card, but the CPU.

The only way to stress your Video card is to run it at higher resolutions, with all the bells and whistles on (AA/AF/Etc).

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

well one time i did and it just would not boot and just beeped
i did however leave the ram at turbo maybe i should go ahead and set it to optimal them set the ram at sync ? and yes i think they are both the same got em in a gig pack

This is why we don't buy cheap ram.

Get some real RAM, and run Sync to the FSB.

how do you play with RAM settings?

also, my 9800XT sometimes gives me "voltage not constant" or a message like that...any ideas? I have a 450W power supply, a CD drive, DVD, two 74 GB raptors and the graphics card...surely there is enough power...

Originally posted by Napoleon
how do you play with RAM settings?

also, my 9800XT sometimes gives me "voltage not constant" or a message like that...any ideas? I have a 450W power supply, a CD drive, DVD, two 74 GB raptors and the graphics card...surely there is enough power...

Yeah, but is it a GOOD power supply, or a cheapo Deer (or similar)?

Might hae enough volts, but not well balanced / not stable.

are you sure you uninstalled old drivers?
howabout updating your 9800XT's drivers?
howabout tweaking the rest of your setup out (see G[H] "The Unofficial Official Tweaking Guide")?

Originally posted by lopoetve
Bios -> hardware monitor.

There often wrong, or off by a margin...

Like on my Board, I use a multimeter to check the volts and compare them to the BIOS...I found my BIOS is .24v higher on every raid compared to the multimeter...So now I know to just minus .24v form the BIOS readings...

But as always the most accurate results will come form a multimeter.

I have a 200 dollar Fluke meter, and a chepo 40 dollar radio shack multimeter, ther both read the same results, just the fluke goes 8 past decimal, and the RaidoCrap one only goes 2 past (000.00000000 vs. 000.00) in other words you dont need a expensive multimeter to do the job. I suggest everyone [H]ardwear guru has at least a cheapo one, its money you will never regret spending... (Make sure it’s a digital one)

Back