9800XT running very warm

csidd

n00b
I've got an ATI 9800XT and this sucker is quite warm even when I'm not gaming. I know this card is a monster but it seems a little too warm. It has the stock hsf but it does'nt appear to be cooling things down much. I also have the power cable running straight to the PS. ATI manual states that the card must go vid card>hard drive>power supply. I called them and the guy said that it's okay to connect straight to the PS. I have an Enermax 430w PS which I would think should be providing enough power for everything in my box. Any thoughts?

I have noticed this difference from Nvidia, as i have lately aquired a 9800 pro 256m DDR2. It is always quite hot!

Nvidia cools down a lot more when not running 3d games or apps.
I used to be able to turn down my fan a lot when not gaming to reduce noise.

It is not enough to make me switch back though!

My 9800xt runs on the hot side too when just in windows and with 2 fans blowing right next to it. I have my computer running 24/7 and I haven't ran into any problems w/ it. It's most likely b/c of the DDR2 memory on it, if you remember the 5800 had heating problems w/ DDR2.

Also which version of the drives are u using, I've heard of heating problems w/ 3.8 but don't know b/c I've only used 3.9 and 3.10.

Back