9800XT & Counterstrike -> Low FPS??

Escher

Limp Gawd
I've got an Athlon XP 1800+, 512 MB RAM, and a brand new 9800XT. I turned up the quality settings all the way, included AA and AF. Set Counterstrike to use OGL at 1280x1024. If I'm standing still I get max frames, but on certain portions of a level it'll drop down to 20 fps.

Shouldn't this card be able to handle this old game at these settings??

Its a bug with ATI's drivers and/or Half-Life based games, though it only seems to affect some people. Unfortunately I am one of those people as well. :mad:

If you're coming from an old video card, you might want to reformat (if your situation allows it) to clean up all traces of the older driver. Or an alternative is Driver Cleaner. You could try that and reinstall Cat 4.1 afterwards. You could always reinstall CS, which has helped in some cases. In CS, you should have these enabled/disabled in the console:

ati_npatch 0
ati_subdiv 0
fps_max 100

Hopefully I haven't missed anything...

umm interesting....

i have a 9500pro here and i cs with 6xAA and 16xAF with an AMDXP1800+

i never ...ever drop down to 20fps ...ROFL lowest i drop is 60-70fps with smoke on screen with at least 10 players on screen.....at 1024x768...

ill give u some advice.....use 16-bit rather then 32-bit so u can see through smoke :D

btw... make sure u have fast writes ON
and go to start run and type "dxdiag" and check to make sure
AGP Texture Accelaration is ENABLED.

also go to ur bios and ENABLE System Accelaration, and Fast Writes...if ur motherboard supports it.

Well, those two INI settings seem to have done the trick.

Kinda crappy that the bug hasn't been fixed yet in either the game or the drivers (wherever the fault lies).

Thanks for the info!

Back