9800's using 2.2ns ram?

misdeismo

Weaksauce
Does anyone know if there is a brand of 9800np/pro/xt that uses 2.2ns memory? Thanks.

Non-pros use either 3.3 or 3.0 ns RAM (at the very beginning some had 2.8 ns but those have all but disapeared). The pros all use 2.8 ns and I believe the XTs do as well but I don't remember off hand.

Read some reviews for Gigabyte Radeon 9800 Pros (128MB).

I think I read two that said it came with 2.0ns meory

I believe it was very early versions of powercolor, from what I read a while back. I think it was DDR-II. Hard to get now I bet(if it was even available ever).

Someone had said the Sapphire 9800 pro 128 came with 2.2ns memory, but I think that was wrong. The new 256mb model with the goofy mirror polished heat sink has 2.5ns memory.

So far it's running fine.

Thanks guys. The reason I ask is because I am not to savvy at soldering so i dont want to try to do any volt mods, sooooo the next best thing it seems would be to flash my card using a bios from a brand with low latency memory. Why you ask? Well, looking at the specs for samsung, hynix and infineon (not sure bout infineon actually), any ram with a latency lower than 2.8ns, usually 2.5ns and lower, will have a voltage increase by 0.3 from 2.5V for a final value of 2.8V. I confirmed this is the case because I flashed my non-pro into a XT using the Asus bios and was able to increase my mem overclock from 357mhz max to 391mhz with no ramsinks. However, there was no real performance gain leading me to believe that the timings are relaxed on the XT which would make sense (similar to DDR ram). No increase in core tho. Best case scenario would be if they released a 128MB XT or I find a brand who overclocks they're memory out of the box. I think HIS is coming out with a 128MB XT.

P.S. Flashed my 9800pro to an XT worked (I knew my pro could handle stock XT speeds) even tho XT has 256MB. You wont have a problem using it this way until you stress the videocard's memory buffer completely (1600x1200 with AA and/or AF on). Most games dont use the full 256MB let alone the 128MB. When you cross that 128MB->256MB barrier you will start to see artifacts or missing renders. Otherwise no other negs. I haven't tried to use overdrive tho.

P.S.S. That was a long P.S. :D

Back