9800 XTs sold as 9800 Pros?

NIGHTMARE2

Gawd
My buddy @ work was telling me that all the 9800 Pro 256 mbs that are being sold are really 9800 XTs and all you need to do is flash them.

Is this true?

Thanks in advance.

I think its Sapphire that's doing that... are they EXACT replicas of the XT? I don't think so, but they incorperate a lot of the same components.

It's exactly the same card but underclocked through the BIOS. After you flash that sucker and put better cooling you will be hitting XT and above speeds.

the ones with the 4 ram chips per side are the XT underclocked 9800 Pro 256's, the ones with 8 chips per side are the original designed 9800 Pro 256's

Originally posted by Asian Fury
the ones with the 4 ram chips per side are the XT underclocked 9800 Pro 256's, the ones with 8 chips per side are the original designed 9800 Pro 256's

^ That!

There's actually a difference between the 9800XT and the 9800Pro 256mb. The XT is said to have onboard thermal monitoring. I'd assume that the 256mb 9800pro would have this enabled when flashed if it were really an XT. Anybody know anything more on this?

My Sapphire 9800 Pro 256MB has the temp monitor, this is after you flash the sucker. Gives you OverDrive and the default speed of 412/365.

The 256mb 9800pros you mention dont physically look like a 9800XT. Every 9800Xt ive seen has the GPU set towards the rear of the card near the vga and dvi outputs.

the gpu isint in the front, the fan is, the pcb of the 256mb card i posted is identical to the 9800XT pcb. let me try and find a pic of a 9800xt with the heatsink off...

edit:
9800xtback.JPG

thats the back of the 9800xt core, in the middle of the card.

No all the ATI's GPUs are on the front.
The XT's heatsink also touches the backside of the PCBoard behind where the GPU is on front...perv board.

These are R350 GPU chips....remaining overstock inventory... slapped onto XT PCboards with cheapo heatsinks. Prolly slower speed DDR too.

The issue with XT is that the GPU cant go as fast as the XT's new memory chips, hence we need the R420 to make the most of these new rams.

600Mhz core 500Mhz ddr would be sweet.

acctually, they even have the R360 core. The ram might be the only thing that is slower. but they are basicly just a 9800xt in just about every way, with a 9800pro 256mb bios.

Originally posted by uwackme
These are R350 GPU chips....remaining overstock inventory... slapped onto XT PCboards with cheapo heatsinks. Prolly slower speed DDR too.

I'm sorry but that's simply not true at all. These new 9800 Pro 256 card are simply XTs with a different HSF and a modified bios. They have the thermal probe and everything because the are XTs in effect. You just cannot use the thermal probe unless you flash it to an XT bios (which boots the speed and gives you overdrive as well).

As far are your other comments, oh nevermind.

Back