9800 pro questions

how much are the other 9800 pros you are looking at? id change the heatsink on that one, but it already has ramsinks which would cost more for another card and ive heard of people killing their cards by getting thermal adhesive specs on transisters, so its up to you

9 times out of 10 an aftermarket cooling solution will be better than anything that is on a stock card. Personally, I think the Tyan has better cooling. If your concern is overclocking, I would try to find the card with the fastest ram, that may take some research.

e_t

i've heard good things about the VGA silencer, but it doesnt cool the ram, are there any aftermarket ram sinks out there?

hmmmm....i understand that ATI and Sapphire cards all use samsung ram, is that true? and is that the better ram o'c-wise?

There are plenty of aftermarket ram sinks, but alot of people feel that they are a waste of money. Unless you have a good bit of air directly on them, the are really only there for eye candy. They may even act as insulators. I belive SVC.com has a good selection.

e_t

ok one more: who is the best manufacturer of 9800 pros in terms of overclocking potential? ATI, Sapphire, Hercules, Tyan, etc etc. any ideas? i'm really just asking about which one has the best rep.

oh oh, do i need anything special to attach the VGA silencer to a 9800 pro or 9700 pro (my current card, it is over a year old and o/c's poorly :( )?

Go with the Silencer. Heat pipes are generally good quiet/fanless solutions. The silencer is a good overclocker, especially if you put a high-powered fan over the stock fan's intake. I remember someone mentioned they got a few more mhz out of it that way.

Like this <--insert really bad art-->

Code:
                         XXXXXXXXXXXXX  | <--stock fan
_________________________               __| <--VGAsilencer
                     \                  /     /
                      \                /     /
                       \              /     /
                        \            /     /
Chute wall---->          \          /     /    <--Fan

Granted, the angle wouldn't be so severe. Just slight (like an inch up) so that it forces air down the slits and not directly on the stock fan (if it was flat).

Back