9800 np flash

Disarray

[H]ard|Gawd
I know this has been covered in the past but I cant find it.

I've got an ATI OEM 9800 np with infineon ram. I'm ready to start overclocking her and want some advice. I want to mod the cooling on this card to tie in with my water cooling set up. Plan on building my own water block for the gpu and looking at building a water block for the ram as well. What order should I follow to get my clock speeds rising? Flash the card to 9800 pro, just use a tool to raise and see what I can get the way it is or wait till my cooling is on and see what works? Any thoughts?

I'd say try OCing first before you flash. See how high you can go and try to determine if a BIOS flash would be benificial. I got a sapphire 9800np over the summer and it has samsung 3.3 ns RAM on it. I tried OCing and could get to 370 on the core and 330 on the RAM. Any higher than that and I would get terrible image corruption, it wasn't heat related, my card just freaked out at those frequencies. So, determining that my choke point was not heat related I flashed the BIOS to pro and am not able to hit 425 (this is where it started artifacting, so I run it at 405 while gaming) on the core and have left the RAM at the pro's stock 340. I then put a heat pipe on the card and a 120 mm fan in my case's side blowing right on the heat pipe and I'm rockin' on.

So, I would recommend,
-Get your water cooling set up
-OC with your tweaking tool of choice to find your card's limits
-Flash if necesary, otherwise leave well enough alone

Also, if you do flash it, make sure to find a BIOS designed for cards with infineon RAM as most of the time it won't do pro speeds. I pretty sure you can find a hack pro BIOS out there that sets the RAM to run at 300 MHz or somthing like that.

Good luck and enjoy the card, these things are sweet.

Originally posted by Disarray
I know this has been covered in the past but I cant find it.

I've got an ATI OEM 9800 np with infineon ram. I'm ready to start overclocking her and want some advice. I want to mod the cooling on this card to tie in with my water cooling set up. Plan on building my own water block for the gpu and looking at building a water block for the ram as well. What order should I follow to get my clock speeds rising? Flash the card to 9800 pro, just use a tool to raise and see what I can get the way it is or wait till my cooling is on and see what works? Any thoughts?

becarefull, you have infineon memory, the np to pro flash from what i've heard only works with samsung ram.

Back