980 Ti

Haven't seen any Classy reviews yet. Could be a more robust PCB; EVGA gets priority on cherry picked GPUs as well. Safe to assume the G1 cools better, though.
He got rid of the G1 due to coil whine, I don't blame him.

It doesn't seem hard to get a G1 without coil whine - I haven't seen a single person to claim their RMA card whines too.

Newegg refunded me for my G1 (to answer the other guy's question, it looks like they occasionally do in fact refund non-refundable items), but for me it was either hold out for the KPE or grab the G1 because I wanted a superior cooler. But with the KPE likely going to cost closer to $800, I might as well just throw a waterblock on my G1 and get much better cooling for the money. Who knows, I might be the guy who gets multiple whiny cards. I've returned so much merchandise to Newegg lately that I doubt they'll like me much if I RMA again...

The problem was intermittent for me. It went away after the first reboot but happened again a few hours later, and then happened more often than not after that. I'm RMAing it tomorrow.

Hopefully yours was just a temporary thing due to AB, and not a broken fan sensor like mine.

I've noticed that if I do a restart after a gaming session, the fans will come on until AB loads up. I think it simply falls back to its BIOS settings until AB kicks in. If it's temps are still above what's set from the factory, the fans will come on.

Hello everyone, I am curious about your assumption of 980 Ti's percent performance increase from 780 Ti. I am asking because I am considering to get it. I am interested if it's 50% or more performance than 780 Ti.

Thanks!

Whoa, I didn't realize this thread went to 61 pages. :O

I have decided to wait for Volta. It will be sure a huge performance increase from 780 Ti. I am currently running 5760x1080 (3 monitors). After getting 780 Ti then 3 monitors, I realized that I need 4GB or higher VRAM.

Whoa, I didn't realize this thread went to 61 pages. :O

I have decided to wait for Volta. It will be sure a huge performance increase from 780 Ti. I am currently running 5760x1080 (3 monitors). After getting 780 Ti then 3 monitors, I realized that I need 4GB or higher VRAM.
Volta? Have fun waiting for at least 3 years. By then a 150 dollar card will be faster than a 780 Ti. And during that time you are going to choke in demanding games at your resolution. Seems way more logical to sell your 780 Ti before its worthless and get a 980 Ti and enjoy 60% better performance which is certainly needed at your res.

I decided to just get a lightning...I'm hoping they come out within the next few weeks

Lol, I love your signature. I'm from that era of computing, just as you are no doubt. Your sig really puts things into perspective in terms of revealing how ridiculous modern high end computing products are.

I think my PSU Corsair TX 650W it's too "old " for my new GTX 980 Ti
Sometime when i reboot my PC, it reboots again and again. So i have to turn the pc off, switch off - on the button on the PSU, and then the PC reboots.
I have my PSU since 2009. Do you think it's a good idea to replace it ?
Thank you
My specs : Intel I7 920
6 GB DDR3
3 X HDD ( 2 x 640 GB / 1 X 1 TB )
1 SSD
DVD RW
Sound card
Fan controller

I forgot to mention : sometime when i switch off the PSU from the button, there is a coil noise.
Is that normal ??

Last edited:
Lol, I love your signature. I'm from that era of computing, just as you are no doubt. Your sig really puts things into perspective in terms of revealing how ridiculous modern high end computing products are.

Heh, I was watching "How its made" with my daughter. They were building a computer for 1 of the segments. Pentium 3 era, I smirked a bit.

Sometime when i reboot my PC, it reboots again and again. So i have to turn the pc off, switch off - on the button on the PSU, and then the PC reboots.
Thank you
6 GB DDR3
1 SSD
DVD RW
Sound card
Fan controller

I forgot to mention : sometime when i switch off the PSU from the button, there is a coil noise.
Is that normal ??

My old power supply rebooted like that. I replaced it with a new PSU and the problem is resolved.

Thank you
6 GB DDR3
1 SSD
DVD RW
Sound card
Fan controller

Is that normal ??
My Corsair HX650W wouldn't even POST with my Galaxy 980 Ti. Had to get a new PSU. Doesn't seem like aging 650 watts cut it.

Thank you
6 GB DDR3
1 SSD
DVD RW
Sound card
Fan controller

Is that normal ??
I have a TX650 but mine is only 3.5 years old. My whole system only pulls about 450 watts max at the wall when running 980 Ti with a very high oc around 1540 during heavy benching.

I assume you have your 920 oced which can eat a lot of power depending on exact clocks and voltage. And btw if you dont have it oced then that 980 Ti is not even going to perform any better than a plan 980 in many games.

My SC+ has rattling fins above 50% fan speed or so. As I was putting it into my rig I could actually hear them clinking together when I moved the card around.
Not sure if I want to bother replacing it or not. I'll have to see if the noise becomes intrusive in games.

I'll contact EVGA and see if they will send me another ACX heatsink without needing to RMA the card.

Last edited:

Right on brother...will always look back fondly on that day and age. :)

I ran my Titan on an old 520W Seasonic for a long time ...

Isn't Seasonic known for having good PSU's?

Beside the point, there are definitely people out there with aged 650W PSU's having problems with their GTX 980 Ti. Not sure what specifically is the issue, since 650W should be more than enough for a 980 Ti.

But in my case, replacing the PSU solved the issue, and it seems that solved the issue for other people as well.

Last edited:
My SC+ has rattling fins above 50% fan speed or so. As I was putting it into my rig I could actually hear them clinking together when I moved the card around.
Not sure if I want to bother replacing it or not. I'll have to see if the noise becomes intrusive in games.

I'll contact EVGA and see if they will send me another ACX heatsink without needing to RMA the card.

Knowing EVGA, they might actually let you send the heatsink in for a new one. So when did you jump on the 980 Ti train? Kinda surprised since I thought you were waiting on cheaper cards.

Knowing EVGA, they might actually let you send the heatsink in for a new one. So when did you jump on the 980 Ti train? Kinda surprised since I thought you were waiting on cheaper cards.
I'm not sending anything anywhere unless they cross-ship.
If they won't send me a new heatsink I'll just buy some thermal tape and slap it on the loose fin.

Kinda surprised since I thought you were waiting on cheaper cards.
My PayPal account is on the verge of being locked, and with no bank account to transfer the money, well... It was either spend the bulk of it or lose it.

Let's us know if EVGA replaces the cooler on your card TaintedSquirrel. My EVGA GTX 980 ACX has the same rattling noise and I was tempted on sending it in for RMA but was afraid that they'd replace the entire card (my ASIC is around 78%).

EVGA won't send a heatsink replacement so I guess the whole card is going back to Newegg. Retarded.

We do apologize for any issues with your 980 Ti SC. Unfortunately, EVGA does not send out cooler replacements and would need to RMA the entire card; however, as the purchase was recent, it is often faster to RMA with your retailer for brand new replacement.

If the cooler is the problem, I suggest putting a Kraken on it. Works wonders.
I'll pass on water.
Also I don't want to spend yet another $100 on this card.

And just my luck the Classy is back in-stock. :rolleyes:

My card is on its way back to Newegg. 2 weeks of twiddling my thumbs ahead (FL to CA). It would have taken 5 minutes to replace the heatsink myself if they would just send me one.

edit: :mad::mad:

yX7Itbw.png

Last edited:
Just bought a 980 ti Amp Extreme with 75.7% ASIC off another site, coming in Wednesday. Not too big of a leap from my recent upgrade to the 980 GTX. Should be fin putting it in tomorrow :)

Don't think so.

JayzTwoCents got 2 980Ti kingpins at 77/78% ASIC quality and only managed 1520MHz tops on the core and I think 8000 on mem.

My 2 SC cards are 82.2 and 78.8 asic, and best I have been able to bench with is 1504/8000. On water. I need to try out a different bios, but asic doesn't really matter these days as far as what you can get out of the clock.

Just sold both my 780s yesterday and looking to get a 980Ti. System in sig. Looking to go with whatever one will offer the lowest load temps. Numerous reviews show that the MSI offerings are likely the choice for that. Any advice?

Just sold both my 780s yesterday and looking to get a 980Ti. System in sig. Looking to go with whatever one will offer the lowest load temps. Numerous reviews show that the MSI offerings are likely the choice for that. Any advice?
My suggestion is EVGA Classified or Gigabyte G1.

Just picked up a reference Evga 980ti today.. had a few questions on overclocking results and ASIC. Kind of new to this whole thing:

First of all, my ASIC quality is 77.2%. Is that good/bad?

I then did some overclocking to 1518mhz core boost (+290) @ 60% fan speed and 8Ghz memory clock (+500) running in the high 60º

With the system in my signature, i got the following results in 3dmark.

nxopwz.png

Im just curious if that seems about right. Ive only done a little bit of gaming and 290 on the core is really pushing it. 250/275 seems to be the stable limit, although i can go a long time at 290 without any crashes. Also this is at stock voltage. What is a safe voltage overvolt that will also keep temps down?

1500+ on stock voltage with a reference cooler is basically impossible.

Yes.. the more i try it at +290 core the more im noticing artifacts. What would be a good number to aim for with my asic and stock voltage? 1400? 1450?

Edit: Ive been running unigine valley for the past hour at these settings (+250/500) with no issues and steady temperature. Would that seem like a good overclock in comparison to other 980TIs?

qn7cbs.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone ordered a 980 TI from Amazon? I'm curious who the MGS V code thing works. Do you get it right after order, or after card is delivered?

My suggestion is EVGA Classified or Gigabyte G1.

Thanks for the recommendations. Did some further digging on the two...

The Classified, while performs impressively, runs pretty warm. Not surprising given that it's clocked the way it is.
The GB G1, however, is the coolest running air-cooled 980 Ti right now (that I could determine in reviews and comparisons of all the primary brands).

So far, the G1 is at the top of my short list.

Back