980 Ti

good luck with the hybrid and lol to that 6 step process.when they come in stock which is never, you got less then 30 seconds to get one.scammers scarf them up in the blink of an eye and straight to ebay they go.been trying since the beginning, oh and that auto notify crap, forget about that by the time you get a alert people will already be on forum bitching.

Thanks! I was looking for them yesterday, and this one is hot off the presses, so to speak ;)

And me. If nothing happens I will get mine on Thursday. Let's hope that is one of the best custom cards :)

MSI is at the top of their game these days.
Dunno what GPU I'm buying next but it's probably going to be from them.

DC3

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?291632-Asus-GTX-980-Ti-Strix-Gaming-review

as6NYoa.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Roughly the same noise level as the reference cooler according to this link? There are hardly any 980 tis available here (the Inno3d I was eyeballing just went out of stock now that I got my pay :p ) save the reference one and I don't want more than the stock clocks and TDP - I just really don't want to have too much noise when I stress it (and I love cards that turn their fans off on idle).

Why wouldn't they put a plate over the VRAM at least?
And the heatpipes are fucked AGAIN.

A bit early to say, but... shitty.

Why wouldn't they put a plate over the VRAM at least?
And the heatpipes are fucked AGAIN.

A bit early to say, but... shitty.
First thing I was thinking. Why didn't they use a solid cold plate for the heat pipes to make contact like most are using these days?

Still a sexy card. Would like to see a full detailed review on this.

Look at the pics, there's nothing on the PCB itself. VRM cooling is attached to the heatsink, which is nice.

If I had to guess, I'd say they're planning to put these on Furys as well, so they went with a one-size-fits-all approach. I bet they will putting this exact cooler on their Fury models.
Same goes for the MSI and Gigabyte models.

I don't even know if it's been definitively shown that one is better than the other.

The heat spreader is going to have space between the plate and the pipes whereas the pipes without a plate only directly connect to the chip...but the other ones on the sides aren't useless because they're still touching the ones in the middle along their edges.

If there's any noticeable difference at all, it's the difference of the heat transfer from the pipes to the plate vs. the heat transfer from the middle pipes to the side ones.

I've been dying to know what the DCIII would look like. So they finally added active VRM cooling but didn't touch the memory modules, AGAIN! Lame ASUS, just lame....
GDDR5 doesn't need cooling. I ran a 290X with two memory modules completely uncooled and there were no ill effects. The memory doesn't even get hot.

I don't even know if it's been definitively shown that one is better than the other.

The heat spreader is going to have space between the plate and the pipes whereas the pipes without a plate only directly connect to the chip...but the other ones on the sides aren't useless because they're still touching the ones in the middle along their edges.

If there's any noticeable difference at all, it's the difference of the heat transfer from the pipes to the plate vs. the heat transfer from the middle pipes to the side ones.

There looks like air gaps between the heat pipes. The plate design, the full area of the chip touches the plate, and then the entire plate touches and surround each heat pipes, transferring heat over a wider area. The Strix only transfer heat on the sides of the heat pipes, but there appears to be air gaps, so the actual parts that touches each other is even smaller. It's a shitty design.

There looks like air gaps between the heat pipes. The plate design, the full area of the chip touches the plate, and then the entire plate touches and surround each heat pipes, transferring heat over a wider area. The Strix only transfer heat on the sides of the heat pipes, but there appears to be air gaps, so the actual parts that touches each other is even smaller. It's a shitty design.
they aren't free floating :rolleyes:

you can see they are all soldered to a plate that's on the other side
it's negligible whether the plate is directly against the gpu chip or on the other side and there's even an argument that directly against the heat pipes is more efficient.

(if anything, the horizontal heatpipe configurations are the worse design between the two)

The demand on 980 Tis is insane. Just a quick question, do you think an MSI gaming and a Classified will play nice with each other?
Anyone tried a similar thing with 980s before?

The demand on 980 Tis is insane. Just a quick question, do you think an MSI gaming and a Classified will play nice with each other?

Yeah they seem to be selling like crazy, much the same way 970 did. I can't wait to see the new Jon Peddie numbers that take the 980 Ti into account.

Different brand/model might not work together. Would be better to get two of the same or at least get one from a place that allows you to return it in case it doesn't play well with the other card.

I am thousands of miles away. Return is not an option. I will have to locally sell the card and acquire another one if they don't play well.

Found a German site with excellent prices (and it's a very serious site apparently) so I pulled the trigger. Hurts the wallet but I'll sell my MSI 970 pronto.

This model : http://www.inno3d.com/products_detail.php?refid=200
The factory overclock is not worth mentionning but I want to stick with the 250w TDP so that's fine by me.

I don't speak a word of German so used a bit of Google translate and some wild guesses :p I should have it tomorrow or monday, but I need to set up my new mobo first.

What do you all think about the Zotac model? It seems to always be in stock on Newegg, and it looks pretty nice.

That said, the MSI card is in stock now as well. It will just clash with my current setup...

Seems like Gigabyte missed the mark this time around... warped cards? Whine? Damn.

B&H has the normal 980ti ACX2.0+ for 649 plus free shipping right now. Thinking of pulling the trigger on that. The 980 FTW I have now didn't really live up to my expectations (ASIC at 65%), so I think I just want to get the base model and OC that.

Edit: Has anyone purchased something from B&H? How is their refund policy? After my latest experience with Newegg I'm open to buying stuff from other places.

Last edited:
I had to go through 3 different reps until finally got my store credit RMA for my coil whining Gigabyte g1 and got my money back instead. Think I'm gonna buy my Strix 980ti when B@h has them, newegg is no longer what it used to be

You should just get the MSI gaming. It is in stock right now.

Had it till to replace the Gigabyte but I didn't wanna take the chance with the Asus Strix coming out soon, so returned it without opening it so I could get a refund with no BS from newegg

Had it till to replace the Gigabyte but I didn't wanna take the chance with the Asus Strix coming out soon, so returned it without opening it so I could get a refund with no BS from newegg
You do know that asus strix is a worse option? It comes with 3 fans so more noise, does not have proper vram and mofset cooling and will possibly have the shittiest warranty service in the history of human race?

By the end of summer he will have owned all models of 980 Ti for a few days each. :rolleyes:
Then he'll be like "Fuck it I'm waiting for Pascal".

Nothing with my frame rates being so poor with Witcher 3. I've experience 980ti glory, so I will keep one of them for sure.

Which will still run hot and loud in that little case of his.

I will find a way, I am a case modder after all

You do know that asus strix is a worse option? It comes with 3 fans so more noise, does not have proper vram and mofset cooling and will possibly have the shittiest warranty service in the history of human race?

3 larger 90mm fans vs the 80mm fans in Gigabyte and the new DCU 3 does have direct cooling for the power chips and I don't need to worry about warranty as I've never had problems with Asus products

Can't wait for the UPS guy to arrive after the Holiday with my first ACX cooler 980ti

Running two monitors I needed to get a DVI to display port cable for my regular monitor.

Back