939 board with AGP ?

cifroes

n00b
Hi,

I'm looking for a nice board with agp support and stability. I don't care about overclocking features but other extras are nice "1gb ethernet or dual 1gb, raid, etc"...

Any suggestions for which board should i get?

The MSI K8N Neo Platinum 2 is still a nice motherboard to date. Also the ASRock Dual939-Sata2 is good too. It has proved to be a good motherboard that sports both AGP and PCI-E x16 slots. If all else fails, the ASUS A8V is still good too.

I didn't know the asrock one, but it's an uli chipset :(

My concerns are: doesn't have 1gb lan (or dual lan) and performance compared with the MSI K8N Neo Platinum 2.

But then again, asrock is 67E and MSI 156 Euros, so that's more than twice :)

I think these are the only features MSI has and asrock hasn't, am i right? (also asrock doesn't have firewire (?) but doesn't matter too much)

Any comments on asrock performance (no overclocking)?

Im runnin the asrock now...great mobo for the price and benefits that it has. Seems to oc fairly well too!

Just over a year ago I had planned to buy the K8N Neo Plat 2, I had taken note of every single quirk that I saw mentioned on these boards and I was ready to tackle it's OC'ing potential... Frankly I wanted to go with an NVidia chipset board because even though VIA had improved a ton I still remembered the driver horrors from years past.

Buuut, in the end I went with my ASUS A8V Deluxe because it is what I could find available last December ('04) before going on vacation, heh. Can't say that I really regret it at all, it's an incredibly solid and stable board, it's quirks are few and I've had no issues whatsoever with VIA drivers (or a need to upgrade 'em really, they were quite mature by the time this board came out). Truthfully, it kinda changed my mind about ASUS boards being overpriced in recent years and whatnot.

[H]ard's old review on it gave it good marks which is the only thing that gave me the courage to go with it instead of the much more popular MSI board back then. That being said, I would really consider some of the above mentioned options which also offer PCI-E... I haven't read much about 'em but seeing as how AGP is already in a steep decline I'd think it's worth at 'least taking a look at them.

If a year from now you want to upgrade the vid card you'll surely need another mobo (see: the crippled 7800 GS which was released for current AGP users).

i had the neo2 plat for a while, great board. very solid.
im running the asrock dual now, another great board.

Justshoe said:
Im runnin the asrock now...great mobo for the price and benefits that it has. Seems to oc fairly well too!

Motion seconded. Mine is very stable, even with a 15% overclock (slowing speeding things up with the 1.6 BIOS that came out last week). For the money, this is a great board when stepping up to s939 when you have an investment in a nice AGP card.
Unless you're running a server or moving really large files, gigabit ethernet is overkill, and if you really need it, for not a lot you can slap in a gig nic (only three PCI slots on this mobo and the depending on the AGP card you have, will dictate how many you can actually use).

It's not the "uber bestest motherboard" ever made, but for the money, it's hard to beat.

Peace,
Tim

thx for all the input, i will buy the asrock, in the end a price tag of more than double makes the MSI a no-go.

can't go wrong with a cheap mobo with good stability and nice performance :)

The MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum is arguably the best NF3/AGP based board available.

I've been running mine for 1.5 yrs now with no problems whatsoever.

Renegade87 said:
The MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum is arguably the best NF3/AGP based board available.

I've been running mine for 1.5 yrs now with no problems whatsoever.
that or the epox 9nda3+

Im runing asrock now without any large issues. Seems to biggest thing is when you install the ULI drivers get them from uli and install before any agp or pcie drivers. Get the latest ones from uli. also check out www.ocworkbench.com they have alot of good info the the dualsata2 its a fairly good oc'er too been running my opty 144 at 287x9 for awhile now

^^^Those comments lend nothing to the discussion, and besides the OP had already decided to buy one about 5 days ago...

OP if you're still reading this, let us know how it works out, i've been researching this board for over a week now and may pick one up soon. Most of what i read has been good and most issues seem to arise when people push the boundaries when overclocking. I like the good combo of features, oc capability, and upgrade options, and all at a low price.

He said he was going to he never said he did, and I believe they add plenty to the discussion. If you dont think a high failure rate matters to the end user then you are sadly mistaken.

Sure it matters, but do you have any proof that they have a high failure rate? You haven't even detailed your own experiences with the board, how many times you had to RMA it if more than once, etc. It sounded more like a feeble flame than an informative comment tbh.

I do tech support/rmas for a major online retailer, I cant really offer up anymore "proof" than you can. Who exactly would I have been flaming? Asrock? Im sure they can stand up for themselves.

I've never even owned the board, but if I see a thread of 100 people complaining about failed boards that's pretty sound proof, if I see a thread of 100 enthusiasts that tweak relentlessly and they're all reasonably happy then there doesn't appear to be a trend.

You didn't even mention that you handle RMAs for a retailer originally, people are just supposed to believe it on face value when you tell them a certain product has a high failure rate becauuuse? If we believed every joe schmoe that randomly says XYZ company's products fail repeatedly we'd have one never-ending list.

I'm not trying to question you, but you can provide more info if what you claim is true, asking people to trust you blindly is pretty senseless... 'specially when you provide no details whatsoever.

Impulse said:
You didn't even mention that you handle RMAs for a retailer originally, people are just supposed to believe it on face value when you tell them a certain product has a high failure rate becauuuse?

For the same reason they would accept yours or any other persons opinion. And it is just an opinion. Noone is ever called out on their opinion for praising a board or part, why is that exactly?

If we believed every joe schmoe that randomly says XYZ company's products fail repeatedly we'd have one never-ending list.

And yet we completely accept their opinions about the quality as long as its a review full of praise. Does not compute.

I'm not trying to question you, but you can provide more info if what you claim is true, asking people to trust you blindly is pretty senseless... 'specially when you provide no details whatsoever.

Not quite.. what would you have me do? Do I need to add a line to my sig that says that I do tech support and RMAs? Do I need to qualify any comment I make on the boards with this qualification before I give my opinion on something? Maybe if I uploaded my companies sales and RMA database that would give more weight to my words? Nevermind that it would get me fired and arrested...

I swear, try to give an opinion that doesnt chime in with the popularly accepted norm and everyone jumps down your throat in their rush to protect that helpless company. Take my opinion or dont, but trying to undermine my qualifications to make the statement is just inappropriate and unnecessary.

Given the price/market for the board I'm betting the ratio of RMAs to boards sold isn't any higher than any other board. I have seen way more threads with incredibly happy users than I have with complaining users.

Davan if you can't see that there's a difference between one user having one lemon of a board and one RMA technician having seen a dozen or four dozen samples of the same board go south, then you need help.

Your original post didn't make a distinction, you still haven't said exactly what kind of failure rate you're seeing or exactly what problems someone experiences with the board. A lot of people RMA stuff when they shouldn't, just because they're being RMA'd doesn't necessarily mean they're failing either. /shrug

I don't trust glowing reviews blindly, but if I see knowledgeable enthusiasts tweaking a board to get the most out of it and achieving stable OC'd systems, then it stands to reason that the board was good for them.

I could care less for what's accepted and what's the norm buddy, like I said I don't even own the board... I wouldn't even buy it right now because it doesn't exactly offer anything to me (if I upgrade it's to actually move up to PCI-E), it's a niche product more than anything else, so I'm not calling out your opinion on the merits of it not going along with the popular consensus.

The only inappropiate and unnecessary argument here is this one, you could avoid it altogether if you would provide one iota of details about what's happening with the boards, which you still haven't. Feel free to cry that this is a personal attack on you, but it didn't start as one, 'nuff said.

For what it's worth, I own this board, and have for the last 5 months. I've been able to get my X2 3800 stable (2 instances of prime running for 8hrs) at 2.5ghz. It fails at 2.6 on the first core within about an hour and a half (Could be a proc issue, I don't know). I use another identical board to test out people's components when they think they've broken/fried them, as I run a computer service on my school's campus. Needless to say, the board takes alot of beating from swapping in RAM, CPUs and GPUs and general misuse. Both of my Dual sata2's work great.

Impulse said:
The only inappropiate and unnecessary argument here is this one, you could avoid it altogether if you would provide one iota of details about what's happening with the boards, which you still haven't. Feel free to cry that this is a personal attack on you, but it didn't start as one, 'nuff said.

I never claimed it was a personal attack, just an illogical one. Its an opinion, based on personal experiences. Take it or dont, doesnt matter to me. I have no commitment to provide you with information you can find yourself if you care to. Do or dont, stop bugging me about it. I have nothing to prove to you.

Davan said:
I can do a google search just as easy as you, correct.

Give it a rest allready ... any shmuck can give a unsolicited worthless opinion ... unless you can point to some specific example to support your claims, your claims are speculative worthless opinions

Point to a specific fact or give it a rest!

lw3d said:
Give it a rest allready ... any shmuck can give a unsolicited worthless opinion ... unless you can point to some specific example to support your claims, your claims are speculative worthless opinions

Point to a specific fact or give it a rest!

Sure thing - As soon as you point to a specific fact backing up your point of view. Must be a fact and not speculative. Otherwise, well, I guess youre just a schmuck giving unsolicited worthless opinions.

Davan said:
Sure thing - As soon as you point to a specific fact backing up your point of view. Must be a fact and not speculative. Otherwise, well, I guess youre just a schmuck giving unsolicited worthless opinions.

QFT. Their problem is they don't understand the concept of empirical evidence versus anecdotal evidence. It's the scientists versus the bible-humpers.

Back