8800GT w/ Accelero S1 disappointment

rx jr.

Limp Gawd
so today I received my Accelero S1 for my 8800GT.

I have a Galaxy one, so the fan is stuck at 100% and the noise is annoying as hell.

before installing the Accelero, my clock was at 700/1750/1100 @ 1.3v. my temperature at load was 64 degrees celcius max.

after the installation, it's pretty stable, but my load temp went up to nearly 70! I was thinking I installed the cooler crappily.

so I took the video card back out, got rid of the stock thermal compound and applied some Arctic Silver 5 and followed the negative case pressure cooling method suggested by Arctic Cooling and behold...

I get artifacts with the current clocks and IDLE temperature is 57 degrees.

:mad::mad::mad:

I'm not expecting it to be any better at stock speed. so what gives? what am I doing wrong?

thanks

Did you mount a fan on this S1 or is it running passive?

Even with some air flow, it's not going to be as effective as a fan mounted on the S1. I have an 8800GT at 700/1000 with a 120mm Tri-Cool mounted on the S1, and it gets around 39-40 idle and 55 at load, never breaks 60.

Assuming you're running passively, it's most likely the fact that the RAM and Power regulators aren't getting enough of the cool down. Try adding a low rpm 120mm to the mix.

If that's not the problem. then something is wrong with the board or the cooler for no real reason.

Did you mount a fan on this S1 or is it running passive?

Even with some air flow, it's not going to be as effective as a fan mounted on the S1. I have an 8800GT at 700/1000 with a 120mm Tri-Cool mounted on the S1, and it gets around 39-40 idle and 55 at load, never breaks 60.

it's running all passive. i was pretty sick of the noise the stock cooler made.

What kind of case is it and how is your airflow set up? Can you post a picture of your case so we can get a better idea how you have it set up? Since its passive it will require very good airflow through out the case.

Kinda surprised nobody commented about the AS5 silver use. Not exactly the best choice sine it can conduct. MX-2 from AS would be a better choice.

you can always add a resistor to a 120mm fan to get some kind of air going over it. i use just that on a scythe heatsink in my server... no noise at all. the 120mm fan is running at about half speed.

Kinda surprised nobody commented about the AS5 silver use. Not exactly the best choice sine it can conduct. MX-2 from AS would be a better choice.

When applied correctly, you wont have to worry about it.

Yeah, I would definitely re-mount the S1. A translucent layer of AS5 over the gpu is super sexy. If it's not the AS5, you might want to check the mounting screws to see if the tension is equally shared.

If there's a soundcard, NB heatsink, or a PSU underneath the heatsink, that could also raise the temps.

Yeah, I would definitely re-mount the S1. A translucent layer of AS5 over the gpu is super sexy. If it's not the AS5, you might want to check the mounting screws to see if the tension is equally shared.

If there's a soundcard, NB heatsink, or a PSU underneath the heatsink, that could also raise the temps.

the thing is, this is my first remount (second mount). there is nothing under the video card.

When applied correctly, you wont have to worry about it.

i'm pretty sure I applied it correctly... I even laid the video card down on the heatsink and removed it once to see if the contact is good.

oh well.... i guess re-retrying wouldn't hurt

I'll post pictures of my case later tonight.

thanks for all the replies

wtf... I revised the airflow and now it's

65 load
and I get artifacts at 51 degrees.

this is pissing me off.

I have a Galaxy 8800GT with a Accelero S1 and 24/7 clocked to 700/1750/1050. I placed a low dba 120mm fan on the S1 and I have yet to break 50c under load. I am using a Antec P180 for a case and have 2 120mm intake and the standard 2 120mm exhaust fans. Not sure why you would be artifacting now as the S1 is a much better cooler than the one included.

I have a Galaxy 8800GT with a Accelero S1 and 24/7 clocked to 700/1750/1050. I placed a low dba 120mm fan on the S1 and I have yet to break 50c under load. I am using a Antec P180 for a case and have 2 120mm intake and the standard 2 120mm exhaust fans. Not sure why you would be artifacting now as the S1 is a much better cooler than the one included.

Curious, wheres your second intake?

you can't break 1100? the stock cooler let me go over 1100 for the memory clock

maybe the ram heatsinks are crappy

i did a test overnight and the core can go up to 700, but the RAM clock can only go up to 1000. that's a 100mhz loss over the stock cooler. :mad:

i'm gonna try installing better heatsinks with the Arctic Silver 5

i did a test overnight and the core can go up to 700, but the RAM clock can only go up to 1000. that's a 100mhz loss over the stock cooler. :mad:

That's the ram being crappy. Cooling won't help anything. The Qimonda ram is pretty much maxed for spec at 1000MHz, it doesn't have much room to go any further. You might have more luck with Samsung modules. But yeah, the Accelero doesn't have any ram sinks so that might be hurting your ram. I thought Galaxy had fixed the 100% fan problem.

You should've sinked the RAM, and you should've used a 120mm fan. Running those already stupid-hot cards passive isn't a good idea at all -- especially with the S1, which does not have that much fin surface area in comparison with something like the Thermalright HR-03. The RAM may be damaged if you're consistently getting artifacts now...

You should've sinked the RAM, and you should've used a 120mm fan. Running those already stupid-hot cards passive isn't a good idea at all -- especially with the S1, which does not have that much fin surface area in comparison with something like the Thermalright HR-03. The RAM may be damaged if you're consistently getting artifacts now...

Otherway around. The S1 is excellent for passive cooling, the Thermalright HR-03gt is junk when passive. Tons of people on Hardforum are running the S1 passive (myself including). I haven't even seen one person on any forum running an HR-03gt passive... The S1 also has more aluminum fin surface, and has ram sinks. Have you even seen the S1?

Otherway around. The S1 is excellent for passive cooling, the Thermalright HR-03gt is junk when passive. Tons of people on Hardforum are running the S1 passive (myself including). I haven't even seen one person on any forum running an HR-03gt passive... The S1 also has more aluminum fin surface, and has ram sinks. Have you even seen the S1?

Yes I've seen it. Yes I realize that the HR-03 is junk passive. These cards run hot -- if you expect a /higher/ OC than the stock cooler, put a fan on it. That's all I'm saying here.

You probably damaged the ram by improperly applying AS5. Set the card back to default speeds if overclocked and put the original cooler back on and see if the problem goes away. If not, your card is ruined.

so today I received my Accelero S1 for my 8800GT.

I have a Galaxy one, so the fan is stuck at 100% and the noise is annoying as hell.

before installing the Accelero, my clock was at 700/1750/1100 @ 1.3v. my temperature at load was 64 degrees celcius max.

after the installation, it's pretty stable, but my load temp went up to nearly 70! I was thinking I installed the cooler crappily.

so I took the video card back out, got rid of the stock thermal compound and applied some Arctic Silver 5 and followed the negative case pressure cooling method suggested by Arctic Cooling and behold...

I get artifacts with the current clocks and IDLE temperature is 57 degrees.

:mad::mad::mad:

I'm not expecting it to be any better at stock speed. so what gives? what am I doing wrong?

thanks

I'll tell you what you're doing wrong. You took a perfectly good Zalman cooler off an excellent video card, trying to make your card look cooler...instead of actually running cooler.

Having owned one of those, I know for a fact that fan makes very little noise. That fan "stuck on 100%" is a single speed fan with low RPMs designed for that zalman HSF.

Not only did you get your 8800 GT cheaper than most people, you got a perfect cooling solution with it also.

What you did wrong was mess around with it in the first place.

This is assuming, of course, you got the Galaxy with the Zalman hsf and not the other dual-slot solution they were offering. If that's the case, then disregard the above.

I'll tell you what you're doing wrong. You took a perfectly good Zalman cooler off an excellent video card, trying to make your card look cooler...instead of actually running cooler.

Having owned one of those, I know for a fact that fan makes very little noise. That fan "stuck on 100%" is a single speed fan with low RPMs designed for that zalman HSF.

Not only did you get your 8800 GT cheaper than most people, you got a perfect cooling solution with it also.

This is assuming, of course, you got the Galaxy with the Zalman hsf and not the other dual-slot solution they were offering. If that's the case, then disregard the above.

Bingo!

OP is complaining about a highly overclocked GPU with a passive heatsink, reaching 70c load... still much better then 80-85c load with reference nvidia HSF. not all gpus are the same, some will artifact with high overlock, some can handle it some cant.

the turbo module that is made for the S1 is very quiet and cools well, plus its cheap. you should get that.

You probably damaged the ram by improperly applying AS5. Set the card back to default speeds if overclocked and put the original cooler back on and see if the problem goes away. If not, your card is ruined.

Yeah... I doubt it.

I hope you didn't use AS5 on the RAM...

And why's that? Unless you glob it on, it poses no problems. I've yet to see it actually lead to instability, and I've cleaned it out many processor pins.

sorry didn't read the whole post but the stock wasn't an orb

didn't use AS5

Actually the memory will clock almost to 1100, the core will do 740 perfectly stable as well, I just clock it down for 24/7 use.

Oh and the two 120mm intakes are in each chamber of the P180. So the one near the upper hard drive cage and the other by the lower, if you can really call that a true intake.

My understanding is AS5 will eventually "run - off" . I highly recommend not using it.

Just stuck an S1 on a 3850 about an hour ago... card was hitting 90s with a small OC... now it idles at 33C and never hits the 50s under load. HUGE improvement over the stocker. It does have a low rpm 120mm fan on it. We used Ceramique on the core.

I just put an S1 on my 512mb GTS. Clocks are 670/970. Voltage is 1.1. Two free floating 120mm fans in an Antec P182 with 2 intake fans, 2 exhaust.

Idle is 46, Load is 60. Im kinda pissed. The only thing i can think of is the dead zone behind the two fans is in a critical area.

I just put an S1 on my 512mb GTS. Clocks are 670/970. Voltage is 1.1. Two free floating 120mm fans in an Antec P182 with 2 intake fans, 2 exhaust.

Idle is 46, Load is 60. Im kinda pissed. The only thing i can think of is the dead zone behind the two fans is in a critical area.

The one I did was in a P182 also.. but the fan is mounted directly to the S1 and then I have all the stock fan locations filled. I dont think 60C is all that bad. How hot would it get with the stock cooler? I remember seeing my 8800GTS 320meg in the 80's.

Back