8800 GTX Ultra's (SLI) vs. 4870 1GB

Khaydarin

2[H]4U
Am I right in thinking that the 4870 1GB is faster than two 8800 GTX Ultra's in SLI? I just haven't found any benchmarks online to directly compare them. If the 4870 *is* faster, how *much* faster is it?

I say sell the 8800 Ultras while they are still worth something.

Am I right in thinking that the 4870 1GB is faster than two 8800 GTX Ultra's in SLI? I just haven't found any benchmarks online to directly compare them. If the 4870 *is* faster, how *much* faster is it?

I think that is going to be a (it depends). I don't trust toms hardware charts though, they show the 3870 out performing the 4800 in some of the charts. I would ask If you really need to upgrade though. and if you already have a SLI board it might be better to go with dual GTX260.

What res do you play at and what are your specs?

if you can, sell the 8800ultr'a,s and get either a 4870 1gb, or gtx260.

You will have lower max frames, but higher min rates

I think that is going to be a (it depends). I don't trust toms hardware charts though, they show the 3870 out performing the 4800 in some of the charts. I would ask If you really need to upgrade though. and if you already have a SLI board it might be better to go with dual GTX260.

Actually, the question was asked insignificantly - it's my cousin who owns the 8800 GTX SLI setup and I just received the 1GB 4870. We had recently been talking about how they would compare, so I posted here. I'm going to see how the single 4870 performs on my computer at school (E8500 at 4.3GHz, 4GB of RAM, Vista 64-bit) when I return in early January. Since my motherboard is setup to support Crossfire, I'll have the option to throw another 1GB 4870 if I really feel like I need it. I game at 1920x1200.

Actually, the question was asked insignificantly - it's my cousin who owns the 8800 GTX SLI setup and I just received the 1GB 4870. We had recently been talking about how they would compare, so I posted here. I'm going to see how the single 4870 performs on my computer at school (E8500 at 4.3GHz, 4GB of RAM, Vista 64-bit) when I return in early January. Since my motherboard is setup to support Crossfire, I'll have the option to throw another 1GB 4870 if I really feel like I need it. I game at 1920x1200.

you will be happy. If I recall correctly you will do better in some of the newer games (considerably) and not as good in crysis and some older games. Using an H style review you will be ahead I think

you will be happy. If I recall correctly you will do better in some of the newer games (considerably) and not as good in crysis and some older games. Using an H style review you will be ahead I think

Going a little off-topic (I can do that in my own thread, right?)....how come the Tom's Hardware benchmarks look so fishy? Like someone said above, "they show the 3870 out performing the 4800 in some of the charts." This is why I always use HardOCP as at least one of my references when looking up numbers.

GTX SLI keeps up with any of the current single GPU cards, sadly. You and I have very little motivation to upgrade.

Going a little off-topic (I can do that in my own thread, right?)....how come the Tom's Hardware benchmarks look so fishy? Like someone said above, "they show the 3870 out performing the 4800 in some of the charts." This is why I always use HardOCP as at least one of my references when looking up numbers.

its hard to say, one easy easy explanation is that they use canned benchmarks and that they had some driver issues (like swapping out cards on the same computer without reformatting the computer). but its still hard to figure out/why/see that someone didn't think something was wrong. but that is why I don't listen to ANY one website, even H for the last say in things. (though I put most of my faith in H as well) anyone can run into an issue.

GTX SLI keeps up with any of the current single GPU cards, sadly. You and I have very little motivation to upgrade.

I dont think so, my GTX SLI still doesn't outperform my 4870 in most game :S

its really base on what game you play.....

if it Crysis, understandable....

also on Higher resolution and Higher AA, 4870 will definitely outperform GTX SLI ....

?!You DON'T trust Tomshardware? If the card performed better in some charts, then they performed better. They might have had a driver issue or forgot something, but that's bound to happen in being around for over 10 years. That's one of the few legit websites out there for tech and benchmarks.

Though the performance gains of the 4870 over 8800GTX's in sli may not be enough for most, consider the power saved and heat not generated from a 2nd card.

The 8800 is still going strong despite the fact it's beginning to show its age while it can hold up to newer cards. As for toms hardware, it's worth checking every resource out there but not making an instant assumption that they're right, not even [H] ;)
ecstatic.gif

I say it is hilarious that the 90nm G80 core is still competition for the "sun shines out of its behind" ATI 4870. It took ATI what.... 2.5 years to build a competitor and they needed the 55nm process to be more competitive. When Nvidia reach parity with ATI at 40nm for GT300 I reckon that ATI will be finished. GT200 at 65nm is still far more powerful than RV770 @55nm... :)

FWIW keep the G80's as they are still relevant with their high bus width and 768RAM. Also there is the PhysX angle as well.

Back