8320 with 7970

Outlaw85

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm usually on the Intel side of the house (only because I buy used and get decent deals). I'm looking to setup a budget gaming build for my brother and looking at the 8320 (decent deal used). We're already going to use the Gigabyte 7970 OC (3gb) card. We aren't looking to go nuts on parts and not looking to play everything on ultra. Right now the system struggles at 1024x768 on low in any game. And yes, I know, the CPU is a huge bottleneck.

Current specs
Phenom II X4 805
8GB DDR2
Gigabyte 7970 OC (3gb)

He's looking to play BF1 and similar titles. solid 60fps at 1080p would be preferred (mix of settngs to get there is OK so long as it's not all low on some lower res). I've done a little research so far and it seems the cpu and gpu are a good match. I also found a vid of someone playing the BF1 beta with this combo and looks to be smooth. I'm just looking for a little more confirmation from others more familiar in the AMD department.

Thanks,
Outlaw

I have an FX-8320e right now (its my fourth), it should run about any game well enough (60fps) as long as its not being throttled. Should be pretty easy to clock it to 8350 speeds as long as it has any cooler but the OEM one, but doubt its necessary for your goals. Games like BF1 are ideal, they actually use the extra threads.

I have an FX-8320e right now (its my fourth), it should run about any game well enough (60fps) as long as its not being throttled. Should be pretty easy to clock it to 8350 speeds as long as it has any cooler but the OEM one, but doubt its necessary for your goals. Games like BF1 are ideal, they actually use the extra threads.

Thanks for info. It seems like a solid CPU and with the easy OC your saying, it should last a few years for gaming. When I came across it, the higher clock is what I was after do to a lot of single threaded apps still out there. Knowing BF1 will take advantage of the cores is a big plus.

Are you replacing the motherboard and ram too I assume?

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2673-battlefield-1-cpu-benchmark-dx11-vs-dx12-i5-i7-fx/page-2

I would probably go g4560 (pretty close to i3 6300) and the cheapest motherboard that fits your need IMO.

Thanks and Wow. The dual cores are still hanging in there. I'll keep a look out for them and/or check fleabay. Do you know what the comparable quad core would be? Just looking to stretch the life out as long as possible and don't want to get stuck with a dual. But my experience with these new architecture dual cores is limited at best.

And yes, the board and ram would be replaced with this upgrade. Hanging out in the FS/T sections of sites like this puts me in the $2-$300 range for combo's (cpu, mem, board). He'll need a case and likely a HS/F but those are easy to come by and pretty cheap.

Thanks for the input so far.
Outlaw

I have an FX-8320 with 16G of RAM and a Radeon 290X, all running at stock clocks (until I get my shiny new Ryzen 1700 next week, anyway). I have yet to find a single game that I can't run comfortably at max settings at 1080P (with the caveat that I rarely use Anti-Aliasing - I've never really found it to make that much of a difference to me with it on, but YMMV)

I still highly recommend the FX8320 if you live near a microcenter ($109 for the CPU and motherboard). Otherwise if ordering from amazon / newegg i like the G4560 Z170/Z270 -- the G4560 gives you stronger single threaded performance and has a good upgrade path -- where as FX8320e is end of the line AM3+

The FX-83xx will be a nice upgrade, but if you can wait a bit for Ryzen 5 launch I would. If you don't mind answering, what is the deal you are getting on the FX?

I have an FX-8320 with 16G of RAM and a Radeon 290X, all running at stock clocks (until I get my shiny new Ryzen 1700 next week, anyway). I have yet to find a single game that I can't run comfortably at max settings at 1080P (with the caveat that I rarely use Anti-Aliasing - I've never really found it to make that much of a difference to me with it on, but YMMV)

Thanks for the "IRL" info. I agree on the AA, it's nice in the scenery heavy games like Farcry, GTA5 (yes I think so)..etc but in a FPS not so much. And with some of the stuff the devs are doing now, unless you jack the setting, you wouldn't notice it anyways.

I still highly recommend the FX8320 if you live near a microcenter ($109 for the CPU and motherboard). Otherwise if ordering from amazon / newegg i like the G4560 Z170/Z270 -- the G4560 gives you stronger single threaded performance and has a good upgrade path -- where as FX8320e is end of the line AM3+

Thanks. Unfortunately, only within hours of a microcenter. With the prices on the used hardware, I'm OK going that route. I've done it on several builds and think I've come out ahead. Prices on a new G4560 though is really cheap. I think I could easily do a new build with that for about the cost of these used, albiet the used builds I've been tracking are 3770K's, this 8320, or similar. But definitely something to keep on the burner.

The FX-83xx will be a nice upgrade, but if you can wait a bit for Ryzen 5 launch I would. If you don't mind answering, what is the deal you are getting on the FX?

Thanks. I normally wouldn't disagree with the holdout except the new chip will not be in budget, let alone also needing the board and ram. Unless you are saying to wait for release and see what people are looking to offload for a better deal? And to your price question it was about $200 for 8320, board and 16gb.

Thanks. I normally wouldn't disagree with the holdout except the new chip will not be in budget, let alone also needing the board and ram. Unless you are saying to wait for release and see what people are looking to offload for a better deal? And to your price question it was about $200 for 8320, board and 16gb.

It might be worth waiting a week or so after the Ryzen 7 launch (this thursday) as there might be people looking to dump old i7/i5 setups. If not, throw one of these on there (if you have room) and give it a healthy OC!

I agree with that and that wont be an issue. He doesn't have the full funds together yet so we still have time. I just wanted to get in front of this with the questions before we had to make a "quick" decision and came out disappointed.. That is a beast of a cooler and I always have to lol at the weights. It still amazes me the weight of some of them just hanging off the board. I know.. nothing to legitimately worry about with the back plate and not bouncing the case around.

There's gonna be a ton of used stuff hitting the f/s thread next week. If wait. I might be looking for a new 990fx board next week too. Either my psu or mobo packed it in night before last :( and I'm in no position to justify a new ryzen setup...

Edit: I'd wait, not if wait. Can't edit easily on my phone...

Back