8-pin EPS to dual 6-pin PCI-E converter/cable or DIY?

mange_

Gawd
My 850w PSU has four rails supplying a maximum of 20 amps each in the following config:
- Rail 1: 8-pin EPS
- Rail 2: 8-pin EPS
- Rail 3: 24-pin ATX and molex, sata, floppy
- Rail 4: PCI-E

Crazy stupid yes but a reality.. I want to convert one EPS rail into dual PCI-E so that my two GPUs have one 20A rail each.

Frozen CPU sells an EPS to 8-pin PCI-E converter and then also a 8-pin PCI-e to dual 6-pin PCI-E which probably would work but I would like to find just one single EPS to dual PCI-E converter, anyone have any tips?

If there's none I'm thinking I'm gonna just convert the EPS my self by crimping two PCI-E 6-pin onto the wires that already exists but how would I convert the 8 wires into 2x6 wires for the new connectors? Anyone got a suggestion?

Cheers,

that's an interesting design, giving EPS 1 and 2 their own 20a rails... hmm

it's possible to do what you want, you just need the correct wiring diagram. maybe get two of those adapters and make them into a y-cable? and make SURE your EPS rails are separate..

Crimp, soldering, heatshrink, twist caps, whatever you want to do to make your own cable. Each pin is rated for ~10-13A and each wire ~16-22A. With four wires you could carry over 700W. I haven't done this specific mod myself, but I keep the connectors from dead power supplies to do things like this.

m87g.jpg

Do remember that P4/ EPS connectors have the 12V wires on the opposite side from PCIe power connectors. Not a showstopper just something to be careful about.

Thanks for all the replies! :)

The PSU is a Silver Power 850w unit, s-s850p or something like that.

I managed to find an 8-pin EPS to 4-pin EPS + 6-pin PCIE converter from some German dudewith the intention of just taking out the wires and the pins and rearranging them according to the layout of Auzner.

However, when I took the PSU apart to verify the rails I found out that I actually have a revision with one single 74A rail.

If anyone's in the the need for this knd of cable let me knowsince I now don't have the need for these cables.

I've read that PSUs with this kind of rail splitting where ment for Skulltrail mobos, beyond that it it wouldn't make sense at all..

Back