8 Pin connectors into 980 ti

zechs3

Limp Gawd
I am using an EVGA Supernova G2 power supply, and recently upgraded to a Gigabyte G1 Gaming. It uses 2 8 pin connectors, not the 8 pin and 6 pin connector my old card used.

To remedy this I attached two separate runs to my PSU going into VGA 1 (an 8 pin + 6 pin) and VGA 2 (another 8 pin + 6 pin) . Is this advisable? It seems like the only way. Just wanted to take it to the mountain top to be sure.

Would my card been under powered if I used an 8pin + 6pin ?

Lastly, then what is the purpose of the tandem 6 pin connector? In regards to wattage not compatibility. Can that tandem 6 pin deliver as much current as another dedicated 8 pin?

Having to separate cables and using an 8 pin connector from each is the better way to go than a breakout cable, so yes, that't the best way to connect your gpu.

I don't think the card really gets much benefit from the additional power from the 8 instead of 6pin connector, maxwell cards are pretty limited with voltage iirc and are not that power hungry anyway.

A 8 pin connector is specified to deliver 150 watt, 6 pin only 75 watt but it depends on how they are connected to the rails of your psu and the available ampère.
For example if you have a cable with 2 8pin connectors, which implies up to 300 (2x 150) watt of power delivery but if the psu only provides 20 ampère (240 watt) for the connector, it will (should) shut off because of overcurrent protection.

Ah, thanks for the knowledgeable response.

I am figuring this out, glad my rig is safe.

Thanks again,

Back