8.3 and CCC not starting

Ed Blown Vert

Limp Gawd
Ok, I searched.Try all the suggestions. Uninstall. Cleaner, Reinstall .NET 2.0

And still CCC won't start. Any other suggestions? I reallly want to test CrossfireX.

I had the same problem. Turned out that the uninstall process of the previous driver I had (8.1) put a pending file rename into the registry that wasn't executed until an additional reboot. Driver Cleaner didn't help, either.

ANYWAY, the solution is thus:
- Download latest Driver Cleaner .NET (yes, it's no longer freeware. So what. For what it does...all the headaches it will solve you over the years...it's WORTH the $10). Make sure to run the LiveUpdate!
- From regular Windows boot, uninstall all ATI drivers, ATI CCC, etc. Everything ATI.
- Reboot into Safe Mode. From here, run 'Driver Cleaner' on ALL ATI options it presents. It will prompt you for a reboot.
- Reboot into Safe Mode again and login to Windows again using the same account. If you boot into regular Windows mode at this point, it buggers the whole thing up. You should be able to tell the driver stuff is removed because your display will now be stuck at 640x480. If it's not (IE., it's actually still at your monitor's native res), something is probably still stuck somewhere, and you should run Driver Cleaner again.
- Boot into Windows. Do NOT use the standard 'all in one' driver, but just download the ATI Display Driver. Install this.
- Reboot into Windows again. Install the other ATI components (AVIVO encoder, HDMI driver, etc) EXCEPT the CCC.
- Reboot into Windows again. Now, install the CCC. After a final reboot, you should be good to go.

I spent all yesterday trying dozens of variations of the above to clean out the old drivers and get the new set running - but only following all the above steps EXACTLY finally did it for me.

I had the same problem. Turned out that the uninstall process of the previous driver I had (8.1) put a pending file rename into the registry that wasn't executed until an additional reboot. Driver Cleaner didn't help, either.

- Download latest Driver Cleaner .NET (yes, it's no longer freeware. So what. For what it does...all the headaches it will solve you over the years...it's WORTH the $10). Make sure to run the LiveUpdate!
- From regular Windows boot, uninstall all ATI drivers, ATI CCC, etc. Everything ATI.
- Reboot into Safe Mode. From here, run 'Driver Cleaner' on ALL ATI options it presents. It will prompt you for a reboot.
- Reboot into Safe Mode again and login to Windows again using the same account. If you boot into regular Windows mode at this point, it buggers the whole thing up. You should be able to tell the driver stuff is removed because your display will now be stuck at 640x480. If it's not (IE., it's actually still at your monitor's native res), something is probably still stuck somewhere, and you should run Driver Cleaner again.
- Boot into Windows. Do NOT use the standard 'all in one' driver, but just download the ATI Display Driver. Install this.
- Reboot into Windows again. Install the other ATI components (AVIVO encoder, HDMI driver, etc) EXCEPT the CCC.
- Reboot into Windows again. Now, install the CCC. After a final reboot, you should be good to go.

I spent all yesterday trying dozens of variations of the above to clean out the old drivers and get the new set running - but only following all the above steps EXACTLY finally did it for me.

That seems to be a rather large hassle to get this installed.

Anyone else have these problems?

Thanks!! It worked. Time to play with CrossfireX

Back