7950 GX2 @ ZZF

Asian Dub Foundation said:
oh man.... i want one.... i remember a 7800GTX was at the same price!

No, I remember paying 850 a piece for each of my 6800 Ultra's. What crap that was to get a hold of one with all the problems they had getting enough of those out for the first few months.

Since this card doesn't bring anything really new in terms of performace until QUAD SLI, I don't see these selling like hot cakes, but then again, its so cheap for the performance level, I'm thinking about one, but then again, without QUAD SLI, I'm not so sure.

I guess I'm goanna take a back seat with this part and see. Bu that time, DX10 parts may be out. But nonetheless, I could free up a PCI slot with one of these!

I wonder: Is the performance of this one card equals to two (SLI) of the regular 7900GTX? What I believe is this: That since this is really two GPUs in one card, the card acts like it's an SLI of two physical 7900GTX cards, therefore, the performance should be: One 7950GX2=two 7900GTX. Is this an accurate analogy or not?

JCNiest5 said:
I wonder: Is the performance of this one card equals to two (SLI) of the regular 7900GTX? What I believe is this: That since this is really two GPUs in one card, the card acts like it's an SLI of two physical 7900GTX cards, therefore, the performance should be: One 7950GX2=two 7900GTX. Is this an accurate analogy or not?

Yes it is... assuming they're clocked at the same speeds which they're not.

i would hold off saying they don't have supply problems.. the 7900GTX and the 7800GTX512 was available for the first few days then BOOM... nothing for weeks

For $100 less 2 gt's will obliterate it when overclocked with the magic conductive pen. Quad sli is the only reason to get it.

I like how they list the memory as 512-bit . . . :p

Basically the GX2 is inferior to a couple of stock OC eVGA/XFX 7900GTs at around the same price.

well, depends on how far away that corner is... I think Vista is suppose to come out early 2007? DX10 cards themselves I think late fall...

pandora's box said:
whats the point of this with directx10 right around the corner?

directx 10 will be probably pushed backwith vista, if you consider 4-6 months around the corner... computer hardware advances a generation in that time.

Asian Dub Foundation said:
i would hold off saying they don't have supply problems.. the 7900GTX and the 7800GTX512 was available for the first few days then BOOM... nothing for weeks

Wouldn't see why there would be supply problems, this isn't a new chip, just a minor respin, and the 7900 is in good supply now, so any shortages would be artificial is my guess, but of course, we'll know the real story soon.

The_Dark_Abyss said:
I like how they list the memory as 512-bit . . . :p

Basically the GX2 is inferior to a couple of stock OC eVGA/XFX 7900GTs at around the same price.

thats yet to be seen :p need tosee benchies never know how much faster it is to have the extra ram

Digital Viper-X- said:
thats yet to be seen :p need tosee benchies never know how much faster it is to have the extra ram

If extra ram you mean 256 to 512meg, then thats true. It may have a combined 1gig but the framebuffer has to be stored on both gpus, thus still only 512 effective.

ManicOne said:
If extra ram you mean 256 to 512meg, then thats true. It may have a combined 1gig but the framebuffer has to be stored on both gpus, thus still only 512 effective.

no i meant 512 per card vs 256 per card =p

Cool: I gotta say though, at the pricepoint this is some incredibly powerful hardware.

Edit: Still, can't you get 2 7900GTs for cheaper?

ManicOne said:
Cool: I gotta say though, at the pricepoint this is some incredibly powerful hardware.

Edit: Still, can't you get 2 7900GTs for cheaper?

These are NOT 7900GT's.... they are GTX's

But they are clocked more like GTs. Difference between GTs and GTXs on a core level is moot as they differ only by clocks.

Anyway, why the hell did you have to yell that post?

Ockie said:
These are NOT 7900GT's.... they are GTX's

They are not GTX's but they aren't GT's either. They're clocked in between so they are GX2 chips. It doesn't really make a difference. A GT chip is the same as a GTX just clocked different.

Back