7900xtx or 4080 super?

Evga 850 G6 here. Had 6900XT with a older driver (23.5.2) and dropped the 7900XTX in and ZERO issues I was surprised I didn't even have to reinstall the driver... Oh and I'm also on Windows 10.
I mean, this is all with a fresh install of Windows 11 Pro when I got the card, so it's not a case of leftovers causing issues if that's what you're implying.

Like I said, some everything seems to work well for, others like me there's just something about my setup (though it's fairly basic) that gives AMD fits.

Is that still a serious issue I've read that this is a stereotype based on issues with drivers in years past not so much now
I have run an AMD RX6800 since 2020 now. No issues with it at all.

It's true that AMD's drivers tend to get better with age though.

Nvidia drivers tend to be better out of the box for new launches.

I just go with availability and value for the money. During the big mining craze it was impossible to 'choose' a graphics card you just had to pluck one before it went out of stock from the bot buyers and miners. I got my card before things went totally crazy price-wise but availability was still a huge issue.

Now that buyers can choose, Nvidia is still not best bang for the back, but if you like the features and performance, go for it. The Supers are priced more sensibly than the launch 40xx series cards. A 4080 for $1200 was just dumb. 4080 Super for $999. That's a better deal even though Nvidia has still inflated the 80 series pricing by about $300 compared to the past.

It's likely a case of people having a really bad experience in the past and losing trust in the brand. I found the ATI Catalyst was a huge leap forward for Radeon back in the day. Prior to that, there was a legitimate case to be made that they were a genuine disaster, particularly compared to Nvidia's Detonator drivers. In terms of current day, I've found both brands to deliver more or less the same experience as far as drivers are concerned.

Ironically, Nvidia's driver overhead can drop performance in CPU limited situations quite markedly from what I've seen in benchmarks, but I've heard zero complaints about it from the Nvidia faithful, who still insist their drivers are perfection. Granted, that's a specific scenario, but I don't see that as a whole lot different than specific scenarios where you face issues with a Radeon driver.
It has become a myth that Nvidia drivers are perfect. Having owned both sides and currently run a 6750xt in my sim racing PC and a 3080 in my main gaming rig. Both have had issues, but it is usually in shorter periods. E.g. I've had times where Nvidia drivers were so bad in some titles released in the span of 1-2 months where I had to swap between drivers due to one driver breaking game A and the other driver breaking game B. In the last 6 years I've probably had 100 days worth of issues in total where Nvidia drivers have caused issues in one game or the other and waiting on an updated driver is the only solution. Granted it has mostly been very close to launch of the titles, but still really annoying.

I've owned AMD for probably 7 out of the last 15 years and had maybe 3 periods with quite a few driver issues on AMD vs probably 8 or so periods with Nvidia cards for the about 11 of those years (sometimes using multiple machines). 9 of those years has been with Nvidia as the main GPU and other 6 was with AMD as main GPU.

It was and actually still is the general consensus that Nvidia's driver is the best out of all 3, AMD's the worst, and you can't go wrong with GeForce/Studio/RTX Axxxx like you went wrong with Radeon's abomination.

I moderated NV Discord and r/nvidia for almost 8 years, this tribalism/tribalistic thought buried deep inside gamers' subconscious will never ceased to exist until Radeon offers every features GeForce has and beats the 90s in Raster, Upscaling, and Tracings.

I've been dealing with audio going robotic once or twice a day since I've upgraded to a 4090 FE (which is my audio source). Dolby Atmos only, seems to be fine with 5.1 or DTS:X. Apparently that's been an issue with the 30 series for at least 2 years, and folks report a very old driver (not compatible with the 4090, 351.XX IIRC) that doesn't have this issue. It's got something to do with the power state of the card, as it's triggered when swapping between browser tabs or just alt tabbing - no issues while playing a game.

Extremely frustrating that I have to disable and then re-enable my audio to get it to un-fudge itself. I've been reporting it every driver release for the past couple of months, and I don't expect Nvidia to deign to fix their shit.

Well, I guess I'll just wait it out for another few months to see what happens in terms of pricing leaning toward 7900xtx if the price goes below eight hundred

Would also see like to see what intel brings with their upcoming battlemage series

Last edited:
I've been dealing with audio going robotic once or twice a day since I've upgraded to a 4090 FE (which is my audio source). Dolby Atmos only, seems to be fine with 5.1 or DTS:X. Apparently that's been an issue with the 30 series for at least 2 years, and folks report a very old driver (not compatible with the 4090, 351.XX IIRC) that doesn't have this issue. It's got something to do with the power state of the card, as it's triggered when swapping between browser tabs or just alt tabbing - no issues while playing a game.

Extremely frustrating that I have to disable and then re-enable my audio to get it to un-fudge itself. I've been reporting it every driver release for the past couple of months, and I don't expect Nvidia to deign to fix their shit.
I've had the same issue with my 2080.

The people who own AMD cards are going to say one thing and the Nvidia crowd is going to tell you a different thing. You need pick the one you want. There's no way a member who has a Nvidia card is going to tell you to purchase a AMD card.

It was and actually still is the general consensus that Nvidia's driver is the best out of all 3, AMD's the worst, and you can't go wrong with GeForce/Studio/RTX Axxxx like you went wrong with Radeon's abomination.

I moderated NV Discord and r/nvidia for almost 8 years, this tribalism/tribalistic thought buried deep inside gamers' subconscious will never ceased to exist until Radeon offers every features GeForce has and beats the 90s in Raster, Upscaling, and Tracings.

Cool. I actually use both AMD and Nvidia cards and have for years, and my thoughts on the topic still stands, but whatever works for you is fine as well.

Granted, I don’t pre-order games or typically buy on day 1 because I’m not going to spend $80CAD on a game that’ll be 50% off on a Steam sale 6 months later, so my experience may vary with those who are doing that. In any case, my experience with Nvidia and AMD has generally been the same as far as drivers are concerned.

The people who own AMD cards are going to say one thing and the Nvidia crowd is going to tell you a different thing. You need pick the one you want.
I would say that it depends on what you want and also what you're willing to spend. There are plenty of reasons to buy either an AMD or nVidia GPU.

There's no way a member who has a Nvidia card is going to tell you to purchase a AMD card.
Well if they don't, that sounds more to me like they want to justify their own expensive purchase rather than being balanced or intellectually honest. That isn't to say that their reasons for buying the card they did aren't justified, but if they would never under any circumstances recommend an AMD card that just tells me that they're biased.

Though in fairness to your point, there are a good chunk of consumers that are "never red", enough so that its been commented on by multiple reviewers; simply because devotion to either of these companies doesn't really benefit anyone other than them. Obviously nVidia enjoys people buying their GPU's at any cost, hence why we have this generation of GPU's that have had some of the worst value in my lifetime (and I've been PC gaming since the mid 90s).

Thankfully hardware review sites like GN, Hardware Unboxed, and even Daniel Owen are at least "less biased" in all of those regards.

Last edited:
If these prices are true across the board, the 4080s will be priced the same as the 4080 by board partners, maybe Zotac is an outlier, but I doubt it. Not sure what's going on here, but it could be possible that the Founder's Edition are the only cards @ MSRP.

https://www.techpowerup.com/318144/...0-super-4070-ti-super-models-appear-on-amazon
Pre release listings are typically inflated. There are some on Bestbuy too that are $999 though (three at msrp, and a couple of custom ones at a markup).

I generally don't buy things at release so I'm clueless, when will we be able to press the buy button on the 4080 supers? The 31st?

The people who own AMD cards are going to say one thing and the Nvidia crowd is going to tell you a different thing. You need pick the one you want. There's no way a member who has a Nvidia card is going to tell you to purchase a AMD card.
This isn't always true. I own NV cards and have no problem telling someone to buy an AMD card based on their budget and use case. Both companies have good cards, and you simply have to figure out what works best for your use. I buy NV because I go for max performance (halo cards) across the board. If AMD was in that zone, I would seriously consider them.

Pre release listings are typically inflated. There are some on Bestbuy too that are $999 though (three at msrp, and a couple of custom ones at a markup).
Yeah if that's the case I would go for it if I hadn't already bought the card I have. The 4070 Super and 4080 Super in my estimation will be the two best cards of the refresh generation.

FSR 3 has like 5 games, DLSS 3 around 80+

FSR 3 released a year and a half after DLSS 3.0.
On top of that looking worse. There's already DLSS 3.5 out.
Phew! Looks like AMD has just a few more DX11/12 games for fluid motion frames now than Nvidia has for frame generation... https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-int...-2024-frame-generation-for-any-dx11-dx12-game

Almost makes me wish that I'd kept that 7900XTX pre-order instead of cancelling it. It would have been fun trying it out, especially for my main game of Star Citizen (which lacks DLSS and raytracing (for now)).

Phew! Looks like AMD has just a few more DX11/12 games for fluid motion frames now than Nvidia has for frame generation... https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-int...-2024-frame-generation-for-any-dx11-dx12-game

Almost makes me wish that I'd kept that 7900XTX pre-order instead of cancelling it. It would have been fun trying it out, especially for my main game of Star Citizen (which lacks DLSS and raytracing (for now)).
Yeah, afmf, a ghosting artifacting driverside hack of an implementation that only enables at specific amounts of scene motion. If you don't care about quality that's your jam.

Yeah, afmf, a ghosting artifacting driverside hack of an implementation that only enables at specific amounts of scene motion. If you don't care about quality that's your jam.
No issues using it at 4K in Avatar Frontiers of Pandora on my 4090. Wonder why it'd be bad everywhere else? Would that be because it isn't using the upscaler on all DX11/12 titles?

Every time I try and support the underdog that is AMD, I run into incredibly annoying driver errors, among other things. I would just stick with NVIDIA.
I'm thinking of ditching Nvidia because of their unresolved driver issues. The biggest one being audio dropping out, going robotic, or doubling in volume while using my 4090 as a Dolby Atmos audio source. Apparently it's been an issue for at least two years on the 30 series (which I didn't have a problem with my 3090 FTW3), but caught it with my 4090. It's quite frustrating to have this well documented and reported issue go unresolved.

Ah well. I'll keep reporting it on their driver feedback form every driver release.

I'm thinking of ditching Nvidia because of their unresolved driver issues. The biggest one being audio dropping out, going robotic, or doubling in volume while using my 4090 as a Dolby Atmos audio source. Apparently it's been an issue for at least two years on the 30 series (which I didn't have a problem with my 3090 FTW3), but caught it with my 4090. It's quite frustrating to have this well documented and reported issue go unresolved.

Ah well. I'll keep reporting it on their driver feedback form every driver release.
Have you thought about using a sound card or something instead? I've had far more issues with AMD than NVIDIA over the last several years and I'm tired of dealing with it.

Have you thought about using a sound card or something instead? I've had far more issues with AMD than NVIDIA over the last several years and I'm tired of dealing with it.
I use an external DAC for headphones, but for normal listening and gaming I use my 5.2.2 audio system via HDMI (for lossless - optical is compressed) - and I don't have any spare PCIE slots.

I use an external DAC for headphones, but for normal listening and gaming I use my 5.2.2 audio system via HDMI - and I don't have any spare PCIE slots.
So the volume only messes up while listening via HDMI? Never while using the DAC?

So the volume only messes up while listening via HDMI? Never while using the DAC?
Correct, only using Dolby Atmos (only spatial audio seems to mess it up, 5.1 or DTS:X works). It's not just volume - also it sometimes drops out, or goes all robotic. Happens two or three times a day, easily triggered by listening to different audio (twitch, VLC, youtube, and tabbing or switching windows).

My Creative X4 works just fine. Which is how I know it's a driver issue, along with the plethora of others with this exact issue, and why I'm very seriously considering giving AMD a go for my next upgrade (I almost went 7900XTX during the shortage, and even had a pre-order in. Best Buy had a 4090 FE drop and so I cancelled it).

Last edited:
I had a 7900 xtx and now a 4080. the 7900 xtx uses 100 watts while idling while the 4080 uses 50 if you have more than one monitor. Also it seems like for VR the encoder on the 4080 produces better quality images. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-intel-nvidia-video-encoding-performance-quality-tested

If those things aren't important I'd say get the 7900 xtx. Theres also the counter strike 2 incident with people getting banned using the radeon version of nvidia reflex+. If I had gotten the 7900 xtx a few days sooner, this would have gotten me banned for who knows how long.

I had a 7900 xtx and now a 4080. the 7900 xtx uses 100 watts while idling while the 4080 uses 50 if you have more than one monitor. Also it seems like for VR the encoder on the 4080 produces better quality images. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-intel-nvidia-video-encoding-performance-quality-tested

If those things aren't important I'd say get the 7900 xtx. Theres also the counter strike 2 incident with people getting banned using the radeon version of nvidia reflex+. If I had gotten the 7900 xtx a few days sooner, this would have gotten me banned for who knows how long.
So is a person's electric bill going to be that much higher if using an AMD?

I agree with others that AMD will likely drop prices some more on the 7900xt and xtx. IMHO, they probably need like a $100 reduction... but we'll see (resulting in a cascade effect for the 7800, 7700, 7600, etc).

Reactions: pavel
like this
Well, the conundrum for *me* is this: Nvidia pros: better power efficiency, overall better for productivity - Blender, video editing, AI, ML - so, better overall - this is how I assess cards - others probably don't do it this way - they compare gaming features/performance/price combo - also, the 40 series is good at gaming - so, the gaming I will do -it's a bonus for me - RT etc. - DLSS 3.x - all good.... the cons (and worst part): price - it might be cheap where you are and most ppl are - USA and elsewhere but in CanuckLand - things like gpus are overpriced - and I don't think we'll get this huge discount - what will happen to the vanilla 4080s?

If the 7900 XTX gets this big price decrease ppl are talking about - I might go with that even though I am very suspicious and pessimistic w/ AMD gpus even the 7900 series - the gaming I think will be sufficient even if it's not as good at RT. What I want to use it for besides gaming is productivity stuff - the fields I just mentioned. However, it's probably good in Linux - and I want to use my gpu in Linux as well as Windows. So, it's a tough call. Too many variables and combinations to juggle.

However, the 7900 XTX decreasing in price also means used sellers probably have to lower their asking price - so, it could mean some decent options? The 4080 or 4080 Super is the 'better pick' but I think they'll both be overly expensive for me. I found a used seller asking (as low as) $1300 CAD for their card! Everyone is asking $1500+ and new here, it's $1600+ CAD. I don't anticipate a $1300* new price - but, even then - that's pretty high here.

I'll probably be weighing options like 4070 Ti Super vs 7900 XTX although I acknowledge the 4080 Super is probably the best choice if you don't consider the price. :) In the USA, the price is probably more competitive so it's more appealing.
One thing I will state, if your playing around in AI, the 7900 series VRAM is very very good.

Problem is a LOT of the commonly used software is stuck in CUDA land. You can get vulcan and rocm builds to work, but it takes extra effort. Meaning out of the box its far easier to get started with an Nvidia GPU vs an AMD GPU.

No issues using it at 4K in Avatar Frontiers of Pandora on my 4090. Wonder why it'd be bad everywhere else? Would that be because it isn't using the upscaler on all DX11/12 titles?
95pct frames are atrocious with afmf, introduces much more lag than dlss frame generation, and it doesn't work with any framerate caps including vsync so you get tons of tearing if it exceeds your monitor's refresh rate. Additionally, it has bad artifacts on many situations. As I said, it's not all that and a bag of chips...

The new fluid motion frames don't work for me in Fortnite.
I got 80 fps with or without it, and I made sure to turn v-sync off and run it in full screen mode. Damn shame.

Ppl are asking about the drivers - but, not everyone is experiencing the same problems - honestly (and I don't want to dismiss what you say - believe me.... I get it) - but, some 7900 xtx owners say they haven't had drivers problems while others have it so bad - they are loudly complaining online - some even decide to sell their card and switch to an nvidia card.
If it was so bad and prominent - meaning widely prominent - there'd be several youtube videos on it from content ppl. I don't know what the problem is but it sounds pretty bad - I'm considering a 7900 xtx and want it at the cheapest I can find - so willing to go used. The transient spikes are a major concern, though - my psu is a Corsair RM850W so a good quality psu but at 850, still LOWER than a 1000W one. I don't know what to do - it's a real pita if I have to invest another $200 into a psu so add that to my gpu cost?!? Nvidia gpus tend to be lower power - at least, the Ada / 40 series are - although, yeah, the 4080 needs 1000w+ too? Maybe the 4070 series doesn't?

People jam stuff in without really knowing what they are doing, start screaming how bad AMD is then you find out they were crashing before the card even went in. Then they find out later they had a bad stick of memory or something else wrong and that was the real cause of the issue. Both sides have bad drivers from time to time come out, no doubt but they are usually fixed quickly, it's really a non issue and we can go to any forum and see people having issues, thats why forums came to exist.

4080 Super, it's no contest.
You’re welcome to have any opinion you want, and obviously you believe this, but until there are benches are we know pricing of it in actuality vs the competition: you can’t really “know” that with anything other than pure speculation. It’s not even subjective opinion at this point.

(That is unless you’re “never Red” and would buy anything because it has a green sticker/the competition doesn’t matter at all to you. I’m saying this from the perspective of anyone else who is actually looking at price to performance and considering all options).

Last edited:
I got 80 fps with or without it, and I made sure to turn v-sync off and run it in full screen mode. Damn shame.
I don't have an AMD GPU to test it with, but I've read that it has to be enabled in the driver per game and not globally. Did you try to enable it specifically for that game?

I don't have an AMD GPU to test it with, but I've read that it has to be enabled in the driver per game and not globally. Did you try to enable it specifically for that game?

Yeah. I'm not sure why it's not working.

I just heard in a review that you have to use AMD's built in FPS counter, as MSI afterburner and the like will not read the interpolated extra frames. Is that the issue?

You’re welcome to have any opinion you want, and obviously you believe this, but until there are benches are we know pricing of it in actuality vs the competition: you can’t really “know” that with anything other than pure speculation. It’s not even subjective opinion at this point.

(That is unless you’re “never Red” and would buy anything because it has a green sticker/the competition doesn’t matter at all to you. I’m saying this from the perspective of anyone else who is actually looking at price to performance and considering all options).
Yes, good to have context besides 'reasons.' The 4080 Super is slated to be around $999 USD, right? But, it's just rumors until the release date - I would reserve judgment /evaluation until then - and until enough reviewers have benchmarked it along with results from the AMD gpus - namely 7900 xt and 7900 xtx - also, those RDNA 3 cards MIGHT drop in price then? Dunno. Price could factor in or one might just pick based on red or/vs green?

What other unresolved driver issues do they have? Just curious.

Also, the Dolby Atmos problem, you are having a different issue. The long running Dolby Atmos problem and audio dropouts was specific to the 3xxx cards. But I have seen people complain about this with both AMD and Nvidia GPUs after upgrading to AM5. Their issues only started after happening after this. So maybe it's a motherboard/CPU problem.

Back