7800X3D will be an utter failure of a CPU

Mine arrived in the mail literally five minutes ago. I ordered it this morning from BestBuy.

My first AMD cpu ever… and also my first ever PC build. For literally decades I’ve been buying pre-builts. Kind of intimidated actually.

My 4090 arrived this morning and it won’t even fit it into my present PC, so I feel well motivated to build this machine.

Mine arrived in the mail literally five minutes ago. I ordered it this morning from BestBuy.

My first AMD cpu ever… and also my first ever PC build. For literally decades I’ve been buying pre-builts. Kind of intimidated actually.

My 4090 arrived this morning and it won’t even fit it into my present PC, so I feel well motivated to build this machine.
All the power to you!!!
Hope the build can be done smoothly.
You shall enjoy building and playing on that machine later on!!! ;)

Holy crap… I opened the cpu box and it was like opening a box of expensive perfume… I mean cologne.

It reminded me of opening the original iPod roughly 23-years-ago. That was quite an unboxing experience.

Holy crap… I opened the cpu box and it was like opening a box of expensive perfume… I mean cologne.

It reminded me of opening the original iPod roughly 23-years-ago. That was quite an unboxing experience.
I know what you mean, very fancy experience. I tried to take a simple picture of the processor in its socket and somehow it looks professionally edited.
IMG_6979.jpeg

Just take your time and enjoy it. My last build with the 9900K I accidentally slipped my screw driver and scored the motherboard when I was screwing down my AIO pump, killing 3 out of 4 DIMM slots. That was the first time I made such a fumble in 20 years of assembling builds. Motherboard needed to be replaced. Needless to say I took my sweet time with this build. Since I needed to rip my case current case apart to take out the motherboard and put the new one in, I ended up taking just about 6 hours to put it all together including cable management.

Just take your time and enjoy it. My last build with the 9900K I accidentally slipped my screw driver and scored the motherboard when I was screwing down my AIO pump, killing 3 out of 4 DIMM slots. That was the first time I made such a fumble in 20 years of assembling builds. Motherboard needed to be replaced. Needless to say I took my sweet time with this build. Since I needed to rip my case current case apart to take out the motherboard and put the new one in, I ended up taking just about 6 hours to put it all together including cable management.
I’ve been watching YouTube videos, and there’s one Scottish guy I like who assumes his viewers have no knowledge of pc building and walks them through every step. Hopefully, building this pc will be as easy as most people say - but in the past I’ve actually struggled with the simplest of tasks, such as installing ram and gpus. Ten years ago I actually fried a motherboard by installing ram incorrectly.

Are you liking the new platform? I guess time will tell.

I’ve been gaming on a 3090/9900k (at 4K) and lately my system has been struggling with some of the newer games. I could have stretched this out another two years, but I’m getting older, and I recently had my first health scare, which made me realize how short life is. I love gaming way more than is healthy, so what the hell, I upgraded now while I’ve still got some life left in me. LOL.

I’ve been watching YouTube videos, and there’s one Scottish guy I like who assumes his viewers have no knowledge of pc building and walks them through every step. Hopefully, building this pc will be as easy as most people say - but in the past I’ve actually struggled with the simplest of tasks, such as installing ram and gpus. Ten years ago I actually fried a motherboard by installing ram incorrectly.

Are you liking the new platform? I guess time will tell.

I’ve been gaming on a 3090/9900k (at 4K) and lately my system has been struggling with some of the newer games. I could have stretched this out another two years, but I’m getting older, and I recently had my first health scare, which made me realize how short life is. I love gaming way more than is healthy, so what the hell, I upgraded now while I’ve still got some life left in me. LOL.
I posted thoughts in the motherboard BIOS thread:

https://hardforum.com/threads/new-x...ck-more-am5-x670-b650.2025983/post-1045644177
Fired up The Callisto Protocol this morning before work. The hard stutters I was getting with the 9900K were almost completely gone. I just have some small stutters when a new area is streaming in. It's installed on the SN750 currently, so I wonder if moving it to the SN850X will improve it even further. It was the same story in The Witcher 3. The stutters were not as bad in that game with max settings on the 9900K, but now the game is completely smooth. FPS still drops into the 40s at times without DLSS, so I am running DLSS Quality. Needless to say, I'm a happy camper.

Been out of the AMD game and getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these badbois and I have a few questions. Pairing with a 4090.

How much cooling to make it hold 5ghz under load?

What motherboard/s and chipset for max gaming performance?

What memory for max gaming performance? Low latency or higher clocks? I preferred low latency in the past and like these:

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-64gb/p/N82E16820374403

I tried to get mine to hold 4.9 under load, but it would fail p95 testing. Passed cinebench r23 runs though with no problems. Current settings has it hold 4.825 under cinebench load. Temp wise with a EVGA 280mm clcx, I was hitting 82C under cinebench r23 load which is NOT real world gaming. In Darktide it'll hover in the 64C and average around 4.9-5050, basically 5ghz using 66W of power which is just as advertised.

I went with EXPO 6000 cl30 memory to keep it simple for myself. Not too much of a fan of mem tweaking and given the mem boot times per reboot, I didn't want to deal with that. It's ironic though because I manually entered in the ram timings and settings and disabled EXPO as I didn't want to chance expo settings boosting some v to a bad value I wasn't aware of. Also it has better performance manually typed in than using expo meaning something else is being tweaked that I am unaware of.

Last edited:
I’ve been watching YouTube videos, and there’s one Scottish guy I like who assumes his viewers have no knowledge of pc building and walks them through every step.
I bet you're talking about Christopher Flannigan? I accidentally came across his videos a while back (before this build), and I ended up going back to his channel when building this new one. He has good videos that focus on setting up cases correctly. Definitely needed when even the "best" case reviewers don't cover all the quirks of a case and the included "instructions" are so poor that they are a guessing game of interpretation.

Been out of the AMD game and getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these badbois and I have a few questions. Pairing with a 4090.

How much cooling to make it hold 5ghz under load?

What motherboard/s and chipset for max gaming performance?

What memory for max gaming performance? Low latency or higher clocks? I preferred low latency in the past and like these:

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-64gb/p/N82E16820374403

I have a 240 AIO with 2 Phanteks T30s and I can hold 5.05 GHz in games, 4.9GHz in Cinebench R23, I think most coolers can, the CPU pulls like 90W max (84W in latest BIOS). In Cinebench R23 my CPU hits 84C, I read a post higher up that a users 280 AIO hits 82C. As long as it's under 88C you can hit the maximum clocks, this is the point where the CPU begins to downclock.

For Chipset B650, B650E, X670, X670E all perform the same. A620 performs the worst.

6000 MT/s is the sweet spot on AM5. The primary timings cutoff (in regards to performance in games) on the 7800X3D is about 30-36-36-36-28-64 with tuned secondary and tertiary. I've tested down to 28-35-35-35-20-55 with tuned secondary and tertiary. Anything below 30-36-36-36-28-64, I didn't see any improvement in games. Maybe there would be in some outlier games, nothing triple A that I've played though.

I don't really see a need to push the CPU hard in my case just for a cinebench 4.9ghz score. My 7800x3d is holding what is effectively 5.05ghz, just fluctuating exactly like my 4090 does at it's boost frequency when I am gaming, so I don't feel like it's leaving any performance on the table there. I think by running ecomode, that's what's holding the cinebench score tbh, but uncorked and hitting 4.9 for cinebench also popped up with cinebench errors meaning, it's not really worth it trying to push that last 50-75mhz for a cinebench score.
2023-05-0918.21.195560742073219078711.jpg

Last edited:
So, most of the content in that video posted above went over my head.

I bought the ROG Strix B650E-E gaming wifi for the 7800X3D and am going to try assembling the build this weekend (my first time building a pc).

What do I need to know? I’m already apprehensive because I’ve never done this before. Seeing a burnt up motherboard and CPU doesn’t… alleviate my… apprehension. LOL.

I bought the ROG Strix B650E-E gaming wifi for the 7800X3D and am going to try assembling the build this weekend (my first time building a pc).

What do I need to know? I’m already apprehensive because I’ve never done this before. Seeing a burnt up motherboard and CPU doesn’t… alleviate my… apprehension. LOL.
Get yourself an anti-static wrist strap and keep yourself grounded. Take your time and don’t be in a big hurry. You’re going to want a couple different sized magnetic tipped screwdrivers and maybe a flathead depending on your case. Have plenty of workspace and a spot to keep screws from running off. Take particular care with running the wiring. Look for places your case manufacturer intended for you to tie down wiring bundles together and try to give it a clean look. The more cluttered wires allover the motherboard the more airflow obstruction. Don’t forget to remove any covering that may be present on your AIOs water block and follow the instructions on your heat sink thermal compound when you’re applying it, not too much not too little. These boards with the cpu interface pins on the board are a little different from the older socket style boards. When you’re mounting your water block make sure keep it close to level on the top and bottom. It’s easy to make them cattywomus if you aren’t paying attention. One thing you can do to save yourself a little hassle is to put the memory and cpu into the board before you mount the board in the chassis but you don’t have to. Make sure to put the motherboard standoffs in the tower chassis before you mount the motherboard, sounds obvious but I’ve seen people do screw that up.

Still a bit disappointed about the overall pricing for this platform, but prices seem to be coming down a bit. Are these burnt out motherboards/CPUs a result of overclocking? Has the overall boot time been brought down on AM5 boards yet?

And how are the ASRock B650Es. Those prices seem to be fairly affordable at around $200. I have really enjoyed my ASRock X370 (it cost around $125), upgraded my CPU four times and enjoyed how ASRock supported my motherboard. Any issues with ASrock with the B650Es?

7800X3D looks great for gaming, but comparing it to Intel's current i7 and it seems to be superior in games yet the i7 pulls ahead in non-gaming tasks. Problem is currently the 7800X3D seems to cost $35 more.
I have an asrock and an msi board with no issues so far. Boot times have come down on the asrock from what they were previously, but the real issue I have is what happens when something goes wrong and you have to reset the CMOS to fix DDR5 training. On my other computer, the memory runs fine at the rated 6000MHz with two DIMMs, but had stability issues with 4 DIMMs. Raising the voltage/lowering the speed fixed that, but in the meantime I was constantly having to pop out the CMOS battery, reset it, and boot back into the BIOS to fix things. This wasn't so bad on my first build because it was all easily accessible, but on my 7800x3d build there's no space to get to the CMOS battery without removing the GPU, so anytime something goes wrong you're disassembling the computer basically.

I have an asrock and an msi board with no issues so far. Boot times have come down on the asrock from what they were previously, but the real issue I have is what happens when something goes wrong and you have to reset the CMOS to fix DDR5 training. On my other computer, the memory runs fine at the rated 6000MHz with two DIMMs, but had stability issues with 4 DIMMs. Raising the voltage/lowering the speed fixed that, but in the meantime I was constantly having to pop out the CMOS battery, reset it, and boot back into the BIOS to fix things. This wasn't so bad on my first build because it was all easily accessible, but on my 7800x3d build there's no space to get to the CMOS battery without removing the GPU, so anytime something goes wrong you're disassembling the computer basically.
Do these boards NOT have reset buttons anymore on the outside? Even my X570 has a cmos reset by the USB ports, my X99 had the same thing and even one of my LGA775 boards had a reset outside as well.

Reactions: Mega6
like this
Do these boards NOT have reset buttons anymore on the outside? Even my X570 has a cmos reset by the USB ports, my X99 had the same thing and even one of my LGA775 boards had a reset outside as well.
I can't speak for all of them but basically every DDR5 motherboard on the AM5 platform should have one IMO, especially considering the cost increase vs last gen. My MSI PRO B650-P WIFI doesn't have one.

Get yourself an anti-static wrist strap and keep yourself grounded. Take your time and don’t be in a big hurry. You’re going to want a couple different sized magnetic tipped screwdrivers and maybe a flathead depending on your case. Have plenty of workspace and a spot to keep screws from running off. Take particular care with running the wiring. Look for places your case manufacturer intended for you to tie down wiring bundles together and try to give it a clean look. The more cluttered wires allover the motherboard the more airflow obstruction. Don’t forget to remove any covering that may be present on your AIOs water block and follow the instructions on your heat sink thermal compound when you’re applying it, not too much not too little. These boards with the cpu interface pins on the board are a little different from the older socket style boards. When you’re mounting your water block make sure keep it close to level on the top and bottom. It’s easy to make them cattywomus if you aren’t paying attention. One thing you can do to save yourself a little hassle is to put the memory and cpu into the board before you mount the board in the chassis but you don’t have to. Make sure to put the motherboard standoffs in the tower chassis before you mount the motherboard, sounds obvious but I’ve seen people do screw that up.
skip the ground strap, most dont do anything anyways. i plug in my psu and ground myself on that(steel screw in the hole). good tip on the cooler protector film, it's caught me once. there no such thing as too much paste, any excess will just squeeze out, too little is a very big problem.

follow the above suggestions then update you bios asap.

Do these boards NOT have reset buttons anymore on the outside?
depends on the board, they are not a standard feature.
yes, youd think that for these prices they would all have em.

I don't think any of the ASUS boards had a CMOS reset option. I had to pop the battery and use a jumper when mine wouldn't post.

Same on my Gigabyte board. Cost me the same as my Rocket Lake board back in the days but less than half the features and the ports literally.
But then I did not expect to need any of those features so that didn't slow me down. Of course with the current situation I actually miss them now, RIP.

Last edited:
On my asus boards I've been able to trigger fail safe boots doing multiple reset presses. Early on in the board's life I had no choice but to do a cmos reset, but I recall my 570 having a jumper to short to do that, clrtc jumper pins.

I wouldn't even buy a mobo these days unless it had the cmos reset button on the outside. No freaking way im ripping my GPU out everytime I gotta do a reset. What a great feature and what a poor choice by a company to remove it. The number of times I have used the button on multiple systems when overclocking... it saves so much time and hassle.

Take an old case power or reset switch and put the connector on the cmos reset header and leave it there. Secure the switch somewhere accessible so it can't get touched by accident and problem solved.

No...no,no! Don't breath in the perfume! It is a zombie esk pheramone cest pool. Haven't you seen the hords out side of an Apple store, or lined up in the early AM for a fucking over priced GPU? That sweet plastic stench that you adore is your downfall.

This was just an investigation to see exactly how the CPU failed when the SOC voltage was set too high. It should not be an issue if you update to the newest BIOS version.

Try Eco mode 65 with ram set to auto them tell us what happens. Don't be scared.

I guess I was lucky to be able to boot auto settings at all. This also explains why when I run the "EXPO" timings manually by entering in every single timing myself for the DDR, the performance is actually better than the 2 EXPO settings on my asus board.

In my previous posts, I found expo settings to be suspiciously lower, in some specific benches where having some improved memory speed should help not hinder performance. There should be no reason setting it manually showed a gain over expo (which for all intent and purposes was just me putting in the setting the memory was supposed to work at).

Current running PBO 65W and manual memory settings is providing the best performance in games and synthetic benches so I'm sticking with that. EXPO has been sketchy.

In my previous posts, I found expo settings to be suspiciously lower, in some specific benches where having some improved memory speed should help not hinder performance. There should be no reason setting it manually showed a gain over expo (which for all intent and purposes was just me putting in the setting the memory was supposed to work at).

Current running PBO 65W and manual memory settings is providing the best performance in games and synthetic benches so I'm sticking with that. EXPO has been sketchy.
Apparently EXPO on an ASUS board uses ASUS settings, not the settings that are on the RAM (via the actual EXPO timings for that RAM). Per that Gamer's Nexus video linked by you.

Apparently EXPO on an ASUS board uses ASUS settings, not the settings that are on the RAM (via the actual EXPO timings for that RAM). Per that Gamer's Nexus video linked by you.
That's why I found it weird that there would be a peeformance discrepancy in my testing over last weekend. The video just explains what my own testing has showed. I'm not even sure I can trust asus pbo 65w mode to be honest. I have found the limits of my 7800x3d for its co so I may just do that as well and not trust asus presets.

So I haven’t opened my ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-E yet - should I buy another board?

I’m pairing the 7800X3D with CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 5600 (PC5 44800).

This being my first build I kind of want things to go smoothly?

So I haven’t opened my ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-E yet - should I buy another board?

I’m pairing the 7800X3D with CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 5600 (PC5 44800).

This being my first build I kind of want things to go smoothly?

I'd advise against using an asus board despite the fact I'm using it. Can't trust the EXPO settings to be set correctly by the asus board. I'm loath to trust the asus PBO settings. My 7800x3d gets prime errors in AMD PBO but doesn't get them with ASUS PBO despite me putting in the exact same manual curve optimizer settings and leaving everything else AUTO. This leads me to believe that ASUS PBO may be overvolting the CPU behind my back and under reporting the voltage. CPU voltage settings are hidden on the current bios for 7800x3d on my asus board.

Can anyone recommend a motherboard for the 7800X3D. I think I should return the unopened ASUS Strix B650E.

This is for a gaming-only build.

I bought CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 5600 (PC5 44800) memory. And I’ll be running a 4090 on a 1200 watt psu (the Corsair shift).

And if you didn’t see from my posts above (sorry if you did), this will be my first build.

Thank you. I love you all.

Back