7800X3D will be an utter failure of a CPU

without running benchmarks, do you notice any difference?
Last weekend out of curiosity I tested XMP vs Buildzoids Timings vs My timings

- Going from XMP to Buildzoids Timings I saw a 0-5% benefit in maximum framerates, about 2%-3% in minimums consistently. Which was less than I expected, since I saw a bigger benefit on the 5800X3D going to tight timings up to 9%.
- I literally saw no difference going from Buildzoids timings to my timings, even in benchmarks like 3D Mark TimeSpy which is known to be memory sensitive.

Honestly after I did the testing I just decided to use buildzoids timings since they were a little looser and I didn't want to run into any stability issues even though I tested mine for 3+ hours. I would recommend his timings on Hynix kits. But its probably fine to go without any memory tuning on the 7800X3D. I think something like a 7700X would see more benefit with my tight timings.

So basically people need to go back to OCing the way we did it way back (manually inputting settings) instead of using the pull down tab OCing which is not stable.

Last weekend out of curiosity I tested XMP vs Buildzoids Timings vs My timings

- Going from XMP to Buildzoids Timings I saw a 0-5% benefit in maximum framerates, about 2%-3% in minimums consistently. Which was less than I expected, since I saw a bigger benefit on the 5800X3D going to tight timings up to 9%.
- I literally saw no difference going from Buildzoids timings to my timings, even in benchmarks like 3D Mark TimeSpy which is known to be memory sensitive.

Honestly after I did the testing I just decided to use buildzoids timings since they were a little looser and I didn't want to run into any stability issues even though I tested mine for 3+ hours. I would recommend his timings on Hynix kits. But its probably fine to go without any memory tuning on the 7800X3D. I think something like a 7700X would see more benefit with my tight timings.
so "not really"?
im just not seeing much of a point anymore, unless you enjoy the fiddling. gains are so low, 'cause they are already squeezing out as much perf as the can.

So basically people need to go back to OCing the way we did it way back (manually inputting settings) instead of using the pull down tab OCing which is not stable.
bring back jumpers and dips? ;)

without running benchmarks, do you notice any difference?

Haven't really used the machine enough to know, but it posts faster for sure. Probably will end up just leaving it on expo later because the person who will use it will never change the settings if it gets cleared accidentally.

so "not really"?
im just not seeing much of a point anymore, unless you enjoy the fiddling. gains are so low, 'cause they are already squeezing out as much perf as the can.
Memory tuning will be more relevant towards the end of DDR5's lifecycle when we have faster CPUs and GPUs. Right now, yea it's pointless.

Heh can't wait.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230426_124315_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20230426_124315_Twitter.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 0
I remember those AT cases well, never built one with out bleeding.
I swear they hid razor blades in those old cases. Most of the time I didn't even notice when it happened, I'd just look down and see blood dripping.
Heh can't wait.
Ah, some good old fashioned tech drama. I love it when deceit backfires.

It sounds like Steve is on the warpath again which should make for an interesting video even if he ends up being a bit long winded in it.

AMD says the root cause is SoC voltage and mobo vendors are now capping it to 1.30v, I'm assuming if your SoC voltage was already below 1.30v to begin with then there is no need to update the BIOS then? My SoC voltage has been sitting at 1.245v.

I swear they hid razor blades in those old cases. Most of the time I didn't even notice when it happened, I'd just look down and see blood dripping.

Ah, some good old fashioned tech drama. I love it when deceit backfires.

It sounds like Steve is on the warpath again which should make for an interesting video even if he ends up being a bit long winded in it.
I had 4 stitches from one encounter with an old AT case. Was using needle nose pliers, lost the grip on the mounting standoff and hit my knuckle on the edge of the case. That was fun...

Looks like the x670 Gene I’m running locks in 1.35v for SOC when Expo is set. Memory is 2x16 GSKill cas30 6000 Microcenter specials. (Checked it last night) I’m at work presently but looks like I’m messing with this tonight. Cpu is the 7700x but still probably doesn’t need that 1.35v

Looks like the x670 Gene I’m running locks in 1.35v for SOC when Expo is set. Memory is 2x16 GSKill cas30 6000 Microcenter specials. (Checked it last night) I’m at work presently but looks like I’m messing with this tonight. Cpu is the 7700x but still probably doesn’t need that 1.35v
AMD's recommendation is you update your BIOS immediately. Most boards are locking the SOC voltage to below 1.3v

I’ll do that as well. Since I don’t have the x3D chip the bios update for that wasn’t pressing. Sounds like it is now though!

I’ll do that as well. Since I don’t have the x3D chip the bios update for that wasn’t pressing. Sounds like it is now though!
It's good they caught this. Because it fires all AMD processors eventually, assuming the SOC voltage spikes

AMD's recommendation is you update your BIOS immediately. Most boards are locking the SOC voltage to below 1.3v
Have any new MB maker BIOS versions yet been confirmed to cap specifically SoC voltage at 1.3v? MSI's latest BIOS still allows 1.35v (and higher) SoC, with EXPO setting SoC at 1.35 by default.

I can say that under my current bios the pc has been totally stable. I’m going to disable expo and manually clock the ram /soc and see how that goes first.

Have any new MB maker BIOS versions yet been confirmed to cap specifically SoC voltage at 1.3v? MSI's latest BIOS still allows 1.35v (and higher) SoC, with EXPO setting SoC at 1.35 by default.
I haven't installed it yet but this is the latest bios for my motherboard.

1682622266279.png

I think people should turn Expo OFF and run some benchmarks I think they would be surprised.

Manual setting of VddcrSOC not a problem with the Asus beta BIOS 1302. VddrSOC on setting an offset is broke. Hangs on reboot, Q-Code goes to zero. I'm running a VddcrSOC of 1.25 for now.

I think people should turn Expo OFF and run some benchmarks I think they would be surprised.
Sometimes EXPO/XMP increase secondary and tertiary timings and hurt performance over stock. This was in a buildzoid video a year or so ago. I usually enable it to see what it defaults to then tune the memory myself.

enable expo and then turn off auto voltage on the soc, set it manually to 1.25v. not rocket surgery....
Consumers shouldn't have to do that though to get their advertised specs safely. Wondering what is taking so long to at least release an emergency BIOS that has this by default, even if it doesn't have everything else they planned to include in their next version(s). Should be putting whatever version they are working on currently on hold, returning to the last BIOS version, updating that with just this one change, and then resuming work on the next one.

Consumers shouldn't have to do that though to get their advertised specs safely. Wondering what is taking so long to at least release an emergency BIOS that has this by default, even if it doesn't have everything else they planned to include in their next version(s). Should be putting whatever version they are working on currently on hold, returning to the last BIOS version, updating that with just this one change, and then resuming work on the next one.
My bet is that all major MB manufactures already have a Beta BIOS out. There's one above, like 6 posts up. For MSI Beta BIOS you had to go to their forums IIRC. ASUS lists them on their support page, the other's IDK

Sometimes EXPO/XMP increase secondary and tertiary timings and hurt performance over stock. This was in a buildzoid video a year or so ago. I usually enable it to see what it defaults to then tune the memory myself.

Thanks for that I was racking my brain, wondering why when I took Expo off the performance jumped and the temps really dropped.

Thanks for that I was racking my brain, wondering why when I took Expo off the performance jumped and the temps really dropped.
In my experiences building ~20 AM4 builds (for me, my friend's builds, my family), 1 ADL build (that I sold March 2022 and still stable running 6600c30 daily until now), I never ever enable XMP (or EXPO if its available).
I would rather tinker with manual settings and find stability even if it takes total 6 hours of each build to finish from scratch to stable.
Auto SoC voltage? nope, never done that.
The bonus: all of the builds that spans from 2018 until recently are perfectly stable. All ram running above their jedec's / XMP specs.

And what LittleBuddy said is true, the XMP settings messed up / loosen the secondary & tertiary timings, like tfaw, trfc, twrwr/trdrdscl, etc...

In my experiences building ~20 AM4 builds (for me, my friend's builds, my family), 1 ADL build (that I sold March 2022 and still stable running 6600c30 daily until now), I never ever enable XMP (or EXPO if its available).
I would rather tinker with manual settings and find stability even if it takes total 6 hours of each build to finish from scratch to stable.
Auto SoC voltage? nope, never done that.
The bonus: all of the builds that spans from 2018 until recently are perfectly stable. All ram running above their jedec's / XMP specs.

And what LittleBuddy said is true, the XMP settings messed up / loosen the secondary & tertiary timings, like tfaw, trfc, twrwr/trdrdscl, etc...

I agree with ya, I just have been away for a while 10+ and some of this stuff is foreign to me. I really could care less about OCing at this point. stability is key for me.

Thx for the info.

I hope he knows that unless he blew up like 100 CPUs using the same technique that it can’t be scientifically proven that him blowing up a CPU means all AMD products are shit.

Also I hope he tested with new bios because if his findings are on old bios then his content is already irrelevant.

I hope he knows that unless he blew up like 100 CPUs using the same technique that it can’t be scientifically proven that him blowing up a CPU means all AMD products are shit.

Also I hope he tested with new bios because if his findings are on old bios then his content is already irrelevant.

If there was such a huge risk of motherboards "self immolating" then he really shouldn't be keeping quiet about what owners should be doing in the mean time to prevent the same from happening to them. My assumption is that the issue was a one off and he really had to pull all the stops to make it happen (sorta like purposely pulling out the 16 pin connector by 2mm so that it will catch fire) so it's probably nothing to worry about. Otherwise if the risk is real and good chance of it happening then he would be saying a lot more than just "Keep an eye out for our video!"

I know people here start getting hot in their pants about GN but I find his content quite boring and unwatchable. Only real investigation he did was on Gigabyte PSUs but then again anyone buying a Gigabyte PSU deserved that.

Most of his other stuff is fear mongering etc. I would rather wait for a DerBauer video. If he made a video about AMD products destroying themselves I would actually believe him.

For now, I just need to know the summary of whatever he will say rather than actually wait for GN video.

I know people here start getting hot in their pants about GN but I find his content quite boring and unwatchable. Only real investigation he did was on Gigabyte PSUs but then again anyone buying a Gigabyte PSU deserved that.

Most of his other stuff is fear mongering etc. I would rather wait for a DerBauer video. If he made a video about AMD products destroying themselves I would actually believe him.

For now, I just need to know the summary of whatever he will say rather than actually wait for GN video.
Just for what it’s worth, since I shared one of GN’s tweets-

I’m not familiar with GN, never seen any of his content. I have been out of the game for ~10 years.

I don’t know anything about his content, and I don’t care to shit on AMD. I am new to AMD with my latest build and I’m totally stoked on the components that I have from them. But I am curious to hear about his findings because I feel like everything that’s been reported so far has been vague and coming from a veil of corporate protection.

My 7800x3d has been nothing short of fantastic. Really just curious is all.

Just for what it’s worth, since I shared one of GN’s tweets-

I’m not familiar with GN, never seen any of his content. I have been out of the game for ~10 years.

I don’t know anything about his content, and I don’t care to shit on AMD. I am new to AMD with my latest build and I’m totally stoked on the components that I have from them. But I am curious to hear about his findings because I feel like everything that’s been reported so far has been vague and coming from a veil of corporate protection.

My 7800x3d has been nothing short of fantastic. Really just curious is all.
Of course enjoy your PC. Also it’s under warranty so nothing will happen hopefully.

And you need to admit that the guy needs to use paragraphs in tweets. He shouldn’t be allowed more than 260 chars but seems he has the upgraded account. 👀🤣

Of course enjoy your PC. Also it’s under warranty so nothing will happen hopefully.

And you need to admit that the guy needs to use paragraphs in tweets. He shouldn’t be allowed more than 260 chars but seems he has the upgraded account. 👀🤣
Wall of text crits you for 9000 😂

Back