7800X3D will be an utter failure of a CPU

Same for mine (Cambridge, Ma). I'll just wait for my 2TB 990 Pro to arrive in 20 days (hopefully) and go pick one up then. Who knows? By then maybe Microcenter might be offer some sort of combo deal again.
Very doubtful. Those were to ease the masses into the am5 platform. They know the 7800X3D is targeted product.

Best bet was to get the 7900x combo for $600 with the intention of swapping the 7800x3d in later

Does turning off the non x3d chiplet on a 7950x3d essentially make it a 7800x3d? Will they perform the same, anyone know?

which one do you turn off in bios?
I haven't done it, but there must is obviously a way. It's may be as simple as turning off all cores above 8 or 6 depending on the model of CPU. But I'm not sure.

I haven't done it, but there must is obviously a way. It's may be as simple as turning off all cores above 8 or 6 depending on the model of CPU. But I'm not sure.
Okay, thanks.. I will look into it once I get my custom loop completed on it.

There's no "chiplet turn off" option that I am aware of - but you can prefer cache in the BIOS which effectively does what the software does. I use that on my 7950X3D which effectively makes it a 7800X3D for all intents and purposes.

There's no "chiplet turn off" option that I am aware of - but you can prefer cache in the BIOS which effectively does what the software does. I use that on my 7950X3D which effectively makes it a 7800X3D for all intents and purposes.
You have an Asus board? What setting are you changing exactly to do that? I have a 7950x3d as well for my sim rig setup, the system is tore apart atm because of new case and water blocks etc but once it is done I want to turn it into a 7800x3d, then I know all games are using the 3d cache cores and don't have to wonder/worry about it.

You have an Asus board? What setting are you changing exactly to do that? I have a 7950x3d as well for my sim rig setup, the system is tore apart atm because of new case and water blocks etc but once it is done I want to turn it into a 7800x3d, then I know all games are using the 3d cache cores and don't have to wonder/worry about it.
Yes - ASUS X670E GENE. The setting is "Prefer Cache" - I can't recall which drop down it is and the PC is in use by my son's buddy right now so I can't check. Sorry.

7800X3D still icy cool after a round of Fortnite (very CPU intensive, as I have learned from testing gaming laptops):

7800x3d_hwinfo.png

just ordered mine on Newegg and this would be my first RED team cpu. This will be my first mini itx build as well. Any advice which mobo I should go with this?
IMO, Asrock's B650-E ITX board is the best mix of features and physical layout. Even if the back panel including so many USB 2.0 is really stupid.

A really big thing to note, is its the only AM5 ITX board currently shipping with Intel wifi.

See below
821633A9-BEFD-455D-943E-D3D818449365.jpeg

EDIT: and this is why I tell people Fortnite is the best looking game out there (clip of me playing @ 1080p/360Hz with the 7800X3D / 4090 FE)

Last edited:
Yup this morning!
I scored two off BB. I might keep one and help someone out here at cost plus shipping. Idk BB had a drop twice today for me. Sold out and then came back few hours later. 🤷‍♂️. I had to buy second for some reason for someone. 🤣

Yup. Still 25+ here in MI. Looks like it was well stocked and scalpers can go screw off.
I said there was a reason for them to delay it a month and it was ramping up and having shit load of stock. obvisouly don't expect microcenter to sell out day one since they don't sell online but looks like BB, newegg and amazon had shit load too throughout the day but eventually sold out.

It looks like I’m going to have my first all AMD setup ever- I’ll probably get a 7900xtx at some point as well. I have a 4k/144Hz display so I’d rather have a 4090 but I just can’t afford it.

So it seems that mostly the 7800X3D bests the 7950X3D except for a minimum of titles. Are the 3D chiplets clocked the same? We all see the AMD advertisement that show's 7900/7950X3D higher, but isn't that just the non 3D cores? Is that (at times dramatic 7800X3D win due to a single chiplet) even if the non V-Cache chiplet is doing nothing?
Seems to me the 7800X3D is UNDER volted as it is extremely power efficient. I mean the W# is ridiculously low. Ya that is great but why? Gamer's don't care, look at Intel W, should they not have given even HALF of a 13900K in W and really made an impression?
SO MUCH LEFT ON THE TABLE!
This whole release screams a "SHIT SHOW!" How can we be given SOOO many options in CPU and have it so F'ed Up that the consumer is left dumbfounded?
WTF is "Jo-Blow" supposed to pick AMD?

Last edited:
So it seems that mostly the 7800X3D bests the 7950X3D except for a minimum of titles. Are the 3D chiplets clocked the same? We all see the AMD advertisement that show's higher, but isn't that just the non 3D cores? Is that (at times dramatic 7800X3D win due to a single chiplet) even if the non V-Cache chiplet is doing nothing?
Seems the 7800X3D is UNDER volted as it is extremely power efficient. I mean the W# is ridiculously low. Ya that is great but why? Gamer's don't care, look at Intel W, should they not have given even HALF of a 13900K in W and really made an impression?
This whole release screams a "SHIT SHOW!" How can we be given SOOO many options in CPU and have it so F'ed Up that the consumer is left dumbfounded?
Seems simple enough: buy a 7800x3d, do nothing, and have the best performing & most efficient CPU for gaming. Not sure what’s confusing.

Seems the 7800X3D is UNDER volted as it is extremely power efficient
Uh, haven't we known this from the 5800X3D? That the voltage has to be limited because of the bonding material between the stacked cache being more sensitive? Idk what voltage the 5800X3D runs at, but I imagine it's lower than the other Zen3 chips.

"So much left on the table"

Is there? What are the actual limits of this chip?

Looking at TPU, the 5800X3D was also pretty low on wattage. The 7800X3D is only a tad lower. So tell me, what's missing?
power-games.png

Yeah, it sure is a shame that it wasn't a 300w intel space heater. I think we'll manage.

Last edited:
So it seems that mostly the 7800X3D bests the 7950X3D except for a minimum of titles. Are the 3D chiplets clocked the same? We all see the AMD advertisement that show's 7900/7950X3D higher, but isn't that just the non 3D cores? Is that (at times dramatic 7800X3D win due to a single chiplet) even if the non V-Cache chiplet is doing nothing?
Seems to me the 7800X3D is UNDER volted as it is extremely power efficient. I mean the W# is ridiculously low. Ya that is great but why? Gamer's don't care, look at Intel W, should they not have given even HALF of a 13900K in W and really made an impression?
The 5.7 GHz advertised on the 7950X3D is the boost clock for the CCD without the 3D V-cache. The CCD with the 3D V-cache is limited to 5.0 GHz out of the box, just like the 7800X3D.

I think it’s because the v cache is very heat sensitive. Hence why it is OC neutered, too.

I said there was a reason for them to delay it a month and it was ramping up and having shit load of stock. obvisouly don't expect microcenter to sell out day one since they don't sell online but looks like BB, newegg and amazon had shit load too throughout the day but eventually sold out.
The reason was clearly to sell more expensive CPUs.

Last edited:
I think it’s because the v cache is very heat sensitive. Hence why it is OC neutered, too.

it's more voltage sensitive then heat or at least was with the 5800X3D.. possible now being on a smaller process that it's both.

i think the delay served multiple purposes one being to try to make some money off the 7950/7900 before the 7800X3D stole the show. but i also think they were specifically binning v-cache chips for the 7800X3D and given the early issues with TSMC's stacking process needed to make sure they had availability covered if Intel tried anything to counter their release. would of looked real bad if they instantly sold out again like the 5800X3D imo.

I don’t believe that was entirely the case. 7950x3d was rarely available. Believe me I have all these notifications. There wasn’t really huge inventory. 7900x3d was more available. It could be partly both. Because I don’t think month and half ago they would have had same inventory for 7800x3d.

Uh, haven't we known this from the 5800X3D? That the voltage has to be limited because of the bonding material between the stacked cache being more sensitive? Idk what voltage the 5800X3D runs at, but I imagine it's lower than the other Zen3 chips.

"So much left on the table"

Is there? What are the actual limits of this chip?

Looking at TPU, the 5800X3D was also pretty low on wattage. The 7800X3D is only a tad lower. So tell me, what's missing?
View attachment 562330

Yeah, it sure is a shame that it wasn't a 300w intel space heater. I think we'll manage.
53 Watts is really good, less than one halogen I replaced with an LED light the other day in my bathroom haha. GPUs seem to be going in a similar way ( the 4080 70ti are impressive perf/per watt in particular).

WHAT!!!!

That's just brutally awesome to be quite honest, and only fortifies my main point. Poor 7800X3D. Just not gonna win any awards compared to more versatile and powerful processors.
The 7800X3D is marketed more as an ultimate gaming processor, not as the best all around processor you can buy. It is a powerful processor, especially given how little power it uses compared to the blue team that requires miniature nuclear reactors to power! I cannot fathom the sheer number of whiners who have a plethora of choices for PC hardware and they nitpick like a Karen about stupid stuff. Be glad you have more choices than you know what to do with... Don't like the 7800X3D, buy something else, you have Intel 13th gen CPUs if you don't like AMD choices.

Last edited:
The 7800X3D is marketed more as an ultimate gaming processor, not as the best all around processor you can buy. It is a powerful processor, especially given how little power it uses compared to the blue team that requires miniature nuclear reactors to power! I cannot fathom the sheer number of whiners who have a plethora of choices for PC hardware and they nitpick like a Karen about stupid stuff. Be glad you have more choices than you know what to do... Don't like the 7800X3D, buy something else, you have Intel 13th gen CPUs if you don't like AMD choices.
Yes. GN's review pushed the 13600K ever further as an AWESOME option at $300 plus the fact that Z690 exists and it has DDR4 - wow.

The 7800X3D is marketed more as an ultimate gaming processor, not as the best all around processor you can buy. It is a powerful processor, especially given how little power it uses compared to the blue team that requires miniature nuclear reactors to power! I cannot fathom the sheer number of whiners who have a plethora of choices for PC hardware and they nitpick like a Karen about stupid stuff. Be glad you have more choices than you know what to do... Don't like the 7800X3D, buy something else, you have Intel 13th gen CPUs if you don't like AMD choices.

Seriously. Tons of great options on both sides for all budgets. You can even happily roll with the stuff from last gen, too.

With last gen's main offering of the 5800X vs the 5900X, where we saw a simple clock difference of .1 GHz, with one difference beating the counterpart's base clock, and the other beating the other's boost clock by the same amount, I pondered that either choice would be decent. Fair trade-offs, in my opinion.

However, with this gen, I'm seeing a terrible clock difference here, of course due to the single CCX design, but nonetheless, for us consumers, behold how we suffer.

The 7800X3D, can only boost to 5.0 GHz, while the 7900X3D can boost to 5.6 GHz. This is simply pathetic. This turns the 7800X3D into a low-end cheap CPU. In my last build, I went with the 5800X because I can fully appreciate 8 cores with higher boost clocks than the more expensive CPUs. That's good enough for gaming and other common work, and on top of that, the high clock speeds were nice for the price.

But now I'm faced with an absolute garbage 7800X3D with lame boost clocks and "4.X GHz" base clock, which on AMD's website is revealed to be 4.2 GHz. That's the same as their 7950X3D's base clock, but with literally half the cores.
Can this be justified? No. Not at all.

This forces us to buy the 7900X3D if we want true gaming performance, and the 7950X3D if we want cores and performance.

And if you want a pitiful processor that lacks both cores and fast clocks, that leaves the 7800X3D. That's certainly not what I would purchase, and if I wouldn't do it, who would?
It better be cheap is all I can say.
View attachment 558676

View attachment 558672
I don't think you understand the split design, here.

The 7900x3D and 7950x3D have two separate CCX. One of then has 3D Vcache, but lower clocks. The other, is a regular Zen 4 CCX with full clocks, but no 3D Vcache.

The 7800x3D is simply the half with the Vcache. The pricing of both, reflect what they are. A 7950x3D is priced the same as if you bought a 7800x3D and a 7700x, separately.

Want stable productivity platform with state of the art IPC and highest clock speeds available from any processor on the market rather than become garbage collector?
But what if you want the best gaming cpu? Oh...Intel doesn't do that anymore.

It depends on the game. Some games like Spiderman, love Intel. Other games love AMD (Horizon Zero Dawn). and OTHER games, love AMD's 3D Vcache (F1 racing, Flight Simulator, etc).
Sure. But if we're talking averages, it probably goes to the X3D chips. Especially if we consider non-fps factors. All while doing it at 50w or so. Absolutely amazing.

But what if you want the best gaming cpu? Oh...Intel doesn't do that anymore.
When I was young and beautiful differences between CPU in gaming performance were much more pronounced, you got CPU to get significant boost in performance and performance was usually pretty low and you had to get specific amount of frames per second (no VRR back then) so fun from getting new CPU was much bigger.
Today its like best gaming CPU and not best is difference between 180fps and 190fps where it makes absolutely no noticeable difference. I wouldn't be able to feel it to do ABX test even if I spend a week training myself in the task.

Otherwise if you want best gaming CPU then yeah, for its performance and power consumption it seems really good product.
I wonder why Intel abandoned putting L4 cache in their processors. Seemed to do wonders for Broadwell which at 4.2GHz often outperformed Skylake at 5GHz. If they did the same now they would certainly have chance to get gaming performance crown again.

The whole "best gaming CPU" thing is like having the best fullback in the NFL. It matters, but depending on your resolution and GPU you might never see the difference between the best vs. something pretty average. I know that it can be a big deal in a few games and I guess there are people that want to build a whole new system but still want to roll at 1080p, but it's still pretty niche.

Back