7800x3D incoming! Need some advice

From the ram perspective, don't go too crazy on the kit.

Personally being a Bdie GSkill DDR4 3200@CL14 3600 rock solid runner, naturally I have to recommend any decent CL30 DDR5 6000 kit from them.

From the ram perspective, don't go too crazy on the kit.

Personally being a Bdie GSkill DDR4 3200@CL14 3600 rock solid runner, naturally I have to recommend any decent CL30 DDR5 6000 kit from them.
correct, the 6000mhz c30 kit are based on Hynix M-Die and is a good clocker so once the IMC got better with future zen4+ / zen5 release, that ram kit doesn't need to be upgraded..

So I did some more reading and not to prove you wrong, but just to add to the conversation, it appears that the 1:1 ratio may not apply with ryzen 7000 series, at least according to this link.

What are your thoughts on this? I have been out of the OC game since before my last build which was in 2014, which I left stock. I don't think I've cared about OCing a computer at all since 2010 or earlier. A lot has changed! I don't care to fully min/max, but if there are simple tunings that will achieve improvement, I'm all in.

So far I've got PBO and XMP on, and while the curve optimizer always crashes my computer in ryzen master, I've just gone into the bios and set all cores at -10 which seems to be holding steady. I've also done a minor OC on my 7900xtx in the Adrenaline software, which also seems to be stable.

View attachment 564303
You're not really Overclocking (even though all RAM is OC'ed if you're running something like XMP) at all when you are configuring Fabric Speeds. As for what I was saying about 1:1 Fabric, yeah there was a limit on the older stuff. After you meet the Fabric Clock requirements for AMD the performance gains are likely diminishing returns. So, if the 7000 series has a 2167 Fclk speed then anything past 4334 is in that boat. However, while I don't really recall it working on earlier boards (but I think it was there, just more limited on frequencies on DDR4) AMD has a way to uncouple the Memory frequency from Fclk and that's where the DDR5-6000 thing comes in. AMD has found that RAM past as certain point (if stable) has some bandwidth enhancements.

I would be curious to see what low latency DDR5 4400/4800 vs DDR5 CL30/32 6000/7000+ really boils down to on AMD. In my Intel testing i was within a couple percent, like 1-2% from DDR4 4355 vs DDR5 7200+

Now with the curve optimizer, I recommend that you run that at the BIOS level. I'm sure plenty of people use Ryzen Master but I don't generally see much if any use for it myself. My old X570 ASUS TUF had the Curve Optimizer built into the BIOS. I suspect it's there for you on the 600 series boards.

If you're running Ryzen Master you're introducing a number of variables that don't exist at the pre boot level. You still have to dial in the Curve Optimizer in the BIOS on "feel" and what is actually stable in your use case. You don't have to worry about the software firing and applying the OC settings or another program eating memory or Clock Cycles. Running the Curve Optimizer at the BIOS level feels similar to RAM training when the Motherboard restarts the computer multiple times to get the settings to lock.

You're not really Overclocking (even though all RAM is OC'ed if you're running something like XMP) at all when you are configuring Fabric Speeds. As for what I was saying about 1:1 Fabric, yeah there was a limit on the older stuff. After you meet the Fabric Clock requirements for AMD the performance gains are likely diminishing returns. So, if the 7000 series has a 2167 Fclk speed then anything past 4334 is in that boat. However, while I don't really recall it working on earlier boards (but I think it was there, just more limited on frequencies on DDR4) AMD has a way to uncouple the Memory frequency from Fclk and that's where the DDR5-6000 thing comes in. AMD has found that RAM past as certain point (if stable) has some bandwidth enhancements.

I would be curious to see what low latency DDR5 4400/4800 vs DDR5 CL30/32 6000/7000+ really boils down to on AMD. In my Intel testing i was within a couple percent, like 1-2% from DDR4 4355 vs DDR5 7200+

Now with the curve optimizer, I recommend that you run that at the BIOS level. I'm sure plenty of people use Ryzen Master but I don't generally see much if any use for it myself. My old X570 ASUS TUF had the Curve Optimizer built into the BIOS. I suspect it's there for you on the 600 series boards.

If you're running Ryzen Master you're introducing a number of variables that don't exist at the pre boot level. You still have to dial in the Curve Optimizer in the BIOS on "feel" and what is actually stable in your use case. You don't have to worry about the software firing and applying the OC settings or another program eating memory or Clock Cycles. Running the Curve Optimizer at the BIOS level feels similar to RAM training when the Motherboard restarts the computer multiple times to get the settings to lock.
I do understand that it's not technically OCing, but you know what I mean! Thanks for all the info. My bios do have the ability to adjust the curves, which I have, only -10 on all currently, I haven't messed with testing out a stronger UV yet, but I'm just happy the computer is stable and running great. I have read a lot of reports of people successfully using -30. I agree with you on the Ryzen Master assessment, it was nothing but headaches for me, so I am not using it any more.

I do understand that it's not technically OCing, but you know what I mean! Thanks for all the info. My bios do have the ability to adjust the curves, which I have, only -10 on all currently, I haven't messed with testing out a stronger UV yet, but I'm just happy the computer is stable and running great. I have read a lot of reports of people successfully using -30. I agree with you on the Ryzen Master assessment, it was nothing but headaches for me, so I am not using it any more.
Don't fret the -30. -10 is fine, I think I was able to get my 5900X to -15 but nothing else was stable. I ended up dropping it and manually overclocking but couldn't get the processor to do more than 4.65 Ghz all core with out going nuclear. The undervolt stability is all down to Silicon Lottery, that's one thing you can't beat yourself up over.

The BIOS Curve Optimizer is the way to go, happy to help!

After that I gave up and tried the Ryzen 7700 some bad experiences pushed me to Intel and been happy ever since. However, I will happily run an AMD processor in the future if it's kicking Intel's ass.

I also just realized that there isn’t many options in the mini-itx field for the X670E boards. I really want to do a SFF build.
no use for x670e as an ITX, it removes all the added benefits. x670 and b650 is perfect for ITX.

no use for x670e as an ITX, it removes all the added benefits. x670 and b650 is perfect for ITX.

I could see b650e for mITX but why x670? The e is what adds PCIe 5.0, so with just the x670 you have the extra lanes in using 2 of the b650's but none of the PCIe 5.0 bandwidth. That's pretty much the opposite of what you want in a mITX board that can't take advantage of the additional lanes but could use the additional bandwidth of PCIe 5.0.

pic_disp.jpg

I could see b650e for mITX but why x670? The e is what adds PCIe 5.0, so with just the x670 you have the extra lanes in using 2 of the b650's but none of the PCIe 5.0 bandwidth. That's pretty much the opposite of what you want in a mITX board that can't take advantage of the additional lanes but could use the additional bandwidth of PCIe 5.0.

View attachment 564905
in what world do you think an ITX system is going to take advantage of a pcie 5.0 x16 slot? you're sure as shit not going to use it for data storage and you're not going to pair it with a gpu that's twice the size of the board and doesn't fit in an itx case. so please tell me why you'd spend 200+ dollars more for a board that comes with less than half the supported USB ports, 2 of the 8 supported sata ports, and 2 of the 4 supported nvme slots just so you can say you have a board with a pcie 5.0 x16 slot that you can't do anything with?

As of late last night, already decided to ditch the mini itx plan because of limited options and headaches I didn’t want to deal with.

Currently looking for an NZXT H9 mid tower. Only problem is, sold out EVERYWHERE.

As of late last night, already decided to ditch the mini itx plan because of limited options and headaches I didn’t want to deal with.

Currently looking for an NZXT H9 mid tower. Only problem is, sold out EVERYWHERE.
Why? What are you planning on cramming in it? That's a departure, ITX to mega chunk case with a 9+ fans and or liquid coolers...

How about basic with good airflow? https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-4000...-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
in what world do you think an ITX system is going to take advantage of a pcie 5.0 x16 slot? you're sure as shit not going to use it for data storage and you're not going to pair it with a gpu that's twice the size of the board and doesn't fit in an itx case. so please tell me why you'd spend 200+ dollars more for a board that comes with less than half the supported USB ports, 2 of the 8 supported sata ports, and 2 of the 4 supported nvme slots just so you can say you have a board with a pcie 5.0 x16 slot that you can't do anything with?

Where are you putting 4 nvme slots on a mITX board? Why do I need 8 sata ports on a mITX board unless you're building a dedicated NAS and I'd be looking at a Xeon D board if that was the case? Give me the PCIe bandwidth for the next gen GPUs and nvme drives. Thunderbolt is the biggest feature you can add to mITX, which is why I bought the Z690 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB4 for the last one I did. Certainly more important then 12 usb ports that would never get used.

Why? What are you planning on cramming in it? That's a departure, ITX to mega chunk case with a 9+ fans and or liquid coolers...

How about basic with good airflow? https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-4000...-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

Was an option for sure, but really like the way the NZXT H9 looks. Just a very clean design with a lot of open space for a mid tower.

As far as why I decided to change from mini itx to this much bigger thing. Just decided to not deal with the limited options and trickery of will it fit or not with SFF builds. Getting either a 4080 or 7900XTX for it too. Just rather go big this time.

Was an option for sure, but really like the way the NZXT H9 looks. Just a very clean design with a lot of open space for a mid tower.

As far as why I decided to change from mini itx to this much bigger thing. Just decided to not deal with the limited options and trickery of will it fit or not with SFF builds. Getting either a 4080 or 7900XTX for it too. Just rather go big this time.

Going big means 4090 ;)

I looks clean, but the reality is that it's up to you to route the cables to make that "look" become reality. It really looks like a pain in the ass to me to be honest. Plus I'm not fond of the damn glass panels blocking airflow. You can suck air around the edges of the glass but that's a lot more inefficient than direct flow. That chassis looks like it could get pretty damn hot. The last all glass case I had was pretty and it was pretty damn hot too.

I'm still using a piece of shit case that rosewill doesn't make anymore (I think it was called the Rise) https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Computer-Supports-Motherboards-Optional/dp/B00KW1GNUS?th=1
I paid like 80 bucks for it and it's fan header died a LONG time ago. But it's the only case I have found that I can mount a push pull Arctic II 280 in the ceiling and not have it lap my motherboard. It allowed me to pull out all the obstructions for airflow as well. It has been an amazing case overall.

The one I am looking at to replace it is this monstrosity: https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-...-00F1WN-00/dp/B01C71Q8WS?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1 It's not even their biggest case but it will kick the NZXT's ass in terms of space and it was nearly equivalent in price on at least one website.

Last edited:
The H9 Flow looks solid but the H9 Elite looks like a hotbox and way overpriced. But hey, it's your rig OP, you're the one that will be looking at it everyday for the next 4-6yrs afterall. So get what you dig and roll with it!

The H9 Flow looks solid but the H9 Elite looks like a hotbox and way overpriced. But hey, it's your rig OP, you're the one that will be looking at it everyday for the next 4-6yrs afterall. So get what you dig and roll with it!
That’s the one I’m going with, the H9 Flow, for sure.

I looks clean, but the reality is that it's up to you to route the cables to make that "look" become reality. It really looks like a pain in the ass to me to be honest. Plus I'm not fond of the damn glass panels blocking airflow. You can suck air around the edges of the glass but that's a lot more inefficient than direct flow. That chassis looks like it could get pretty damn hot. The last all glass case I had was pretty and it was pretty damn hot too.

I'm still using a piece of shit case that rosewill doesn't make anymore (I think it was called the Rise) https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Computer-Supports-Motherboards-Optional/dp/B00KW1GNUS?th=1
I paid like 80 bucks for it and it's fan header died a LONG time ago. But it's the only case I have found that I can mount a push pull Arctic II 280 in the ceiling and not have it lap my motherboard. It allowed me to pull out all the obstructions for airflow as well. It has been an amazing case overall.

The one I am looking at to replace it is this monstrosity: https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-...-00F1WN-00/dp/B01C71Q8WS?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1 It's not even their biggest case but it will kick the NZXT's ass in terms of space and it was nearly equivalent in price on at least one website.

Yah for sure, glass all around sure looks pretty but I won’t be doing the h9 Elite. I’ll do the H9 flow which seems a lot better as far as ventilation/airflow.

•••••

That case you wanna get is def a monster. Too big for me but I definitely prefer the looks of the H9. I’ll do my best with the wiring but I guess we’ll see!

Congrats on the upgrade! The ASUS B650E-F has been good for me and is in your price range.
Thanks bud.

I actually went with the Gigabyte X670 AX and it’s been amazing so far. It has an “ultra fast boot” mode and it’s getting to win 11 very quickly. So I’m happy.

That was a concern of mine as everyone was saying the AM5 platform overall is shit when it comes to fast boot to windows. Mine is super quick now with the latest bios update they released a few days ago.

Thanks bud.

I actually went with the Gigabyte X670 AX and it’s been amazing so far. It has an “ultra fast boot” mode and it’s getting to win 11 very quickly. So I’m happy.

That was a concern of mine as everyone was saying the AM5 platform overall is shit when it comes to fast boot to windows. Mine is super quick now with the latest bios update they released a few days ago.
Any noticeable coil whine just curious?

Can you play Jedi Survivor and report back your frame rates. I need to decide if I am ordering a 7800X3D this weekend.

Key comes with the 7800X3D. Given you just built this you can request a key from any vendor that you used. Heck even AMD might send you one.
Really ? Damn.

Awesome.

I got it from Best Buy. What can I do ?

**** checked the Best Buy splash page for the 7800x3d and no where does it say it comes with a free game there.

I would contact them or AMD. At least worth a shot. Not like much to lose in this situation.

Really ? Damn.

Awesome.

I got it from Best Buy. What can I do ?

**** checked the Best Buy splash page for the 7800x3d and no where does it say it comes with a free game there.
I think best buy is one of the few retailers not participating. Worth a try with AMD directly though.

Back