7800 cooling, same as 6800?

Homer

Limp Gawd
I am looking for coolers for my soon to be here 7800s and I cant find anything. Does 6800 cooling work on the 7800s? Looking at the bottoms of the cards it looks almost exactly the same. But if some one could fill me in, please do. Thanks

I can't say for sure, but I would guess no. Consider the fact that the 7800 is a single slot and the 6800 is a dual slot. I mean, hell, the card just came out... don't think there's a need to replace it straight from the get go. :p

Well, consider having 2 of them right next to each other, thats going to produce quite a bit of heat, I was just wondering.

fastgeek said:
I can't say for sure, but I would guess no. Consider the fact that the 7800 is a single slot and the 6800 is a dual slot. I mean, hell, the card just came out... don't think there's a need to replace it straight from the get go. :p
That reasoning doesn't make any sense.

The only 6800 card that's dual slot is the Ultra, and it uses the same aftermarket coolers as all the other 6800 cards.

Eh, what I was thinking myself.... the hold downs on the 6800 look the same as the 7800, but I dont know.

Someone on this board noticed that in comparing his 7800gtx to the 6800, one of the holes for cooler installation is 1mm offset from the same screw hole on the 6800. Also, the rams for the 7800 are on both side of the PCB instead of one side for the 6800. This sucks as I spent $80 for my 6800 water cooling block.

Back