74GB Raptor for $149.99 AR - Retail Version

the one in bestbuy includes a sata cable and mounting screws and is in the large plastic package (which makes it pretty close when you add up the price)

you have to figure that the 4 screws are a couple cents and the sata cable is around 2-3 dollars. and then you have a slightly more secure overall shipping package. i bought 1 raptor from newegg (it works fine btw) all it came in was a static bag in a box filled with styrofoam. this best buy one will come in the same static bag, surrounded by rather sturdy plastic packaging, which is packed into a box with air bag packing.

ml_paladin888 said:
i bought 1 raptor from newegg (it works fine btw) all it came in was a static bag in a box filled with styrofoam. this best buy one will come in the same static bag, surrounded by rather sturdy plastic packaging, which is packed into a box with air bag packing.
Newegg wraps the hard drives up in bubble wrap, several times. Then puts that in a box filled with packing peanuts.

I've ordered hundreds of hard drives, they all had sufficient padding.

I'm going to pick two of these up for some RAID action. Plan on buying one from newegg and bestbuy to make sure there are no problems redeeming the rebates.

intogamer said:
Theres a Difference Between Retail and OEM

If you're referring to the warrenty differences between OEM and Retail drives....
That doesn't apply to Raptors because they are Enterprise level drives and get a 5 year warrenty.
The only Raptor that doesn't get a 5 year warrenty is the Dell branded 80GB Raptor that is warrentyed through Dell for a year.

there was a 10% off bestbuy coupon in my e-mail this morning. I wonder if it will work with this and still be able to get the rebate. I also got a free $10 gift card last time I was there, so It would only be like $120.

If you buy it at newegg, they list a combo price with a NEC Floppy Drive for $0....so 74gb Raptor and Floppy for $144

Also, at best buy, there is this thing called SALES TAX which makes it about 10-15$ more depending on where you are.

Ive always seen these as a waste of money... cant you grab a HUGE drive that performs about the same as these along with the extra 200+ gbs?

Yea, that's really what I'm debating:

(1)Hitatchi 250GB 7200RPM 8mb cache SATA
(1)74GB Raptor
(2)Seagate 120GB PATA 8mb 7200RPM in Raid 0

If the prices are teh same for all of them, which ones would you guys go for?

clickclickw00t said:

(1)74GB Raptor

Everyone has their different applications.

I have a 74gb raptor and I also have a 160gb drive for storage.

Let me just say that I installed my raptor yesterday and it's like a totally different computer. So responsive, though the boot times didn't increase as much as I'd hoped

clickclickw00t said:

(1)74GB Raptor

I dunno, depends how much storage you need. But the Raptor is faster and I'd personally get one of those, then later on get one of the 300gb Maxtors with 16mb cache (costs ~$130 atm) for extra storage. It's easy adding other drives.

And I'd stay away from the RAID0 array with two 120gb drives. Two times the chance of failure, and only a negligible increase in speed.

Tengis said:
Ive always seen these as a waste of money... cant you grab a HUGE drive that performs about the same as these along with the extra 200+ gbs?
I can't think of a better way to "waste" my money than by buying a Raptor... ;)

I've had 2 x Seagate 7200.7 (80 GB 8MB SATA) in RAID 0, and now 1 x WD Raptor (80GB 8MB SATA - the Dell OEM version...) and I personally like the Raptor better, and it was actually cheaper than those two drives... though to be fair I bought it at least 6 months later and prices on storage drop over time (go figure). I'd definitely take the Raptor over the other two - I always have my data on other drives anyway (preferably on at least RAID 1).

none of you guys realized that ClubIT had the best price at the original time.... ;)

now they're tied (except ClubIT has FEDEX shipping) :)

Starfox said:
Also, at best buy, there is this thing called SALES TAX which makes it about 10-15$ more depending on where you are.
well people who live in california, new jersey and georgia have to pay sales tax at newegg...so the its not really an issue for the residents of those states

Yeah, Newegg still has the FedEx option, but it's usually a lot more expensive than UPS. They used to use FedEx as the only shipping option, and it was a lot cheaper.

Actually, the Fedex and UPS shipping for my Mx518 and my Microphone was withing $.40 cents of each other

ml_paladin888 said:
well people who live in california, new jersey and georgia have to pay sales tax at newegg...so the its not really an issue for the residents of those states

as well as TN :p

Ever sense they opened up a "warehouse" or what not here I've had to pay taxes. I now look elsewhere than newegg.

Newegg.com now has the drive for $136 after $20 MIR. Today only! You can also get a free floppy drive if you do the combo special.

Back