7 best CPUs of all time

erek

[H]F Junkie
The initial list seems pretty decent, but does it even go back far enough ? What about SPARC? Motorola 68K, Z80, etc etc?

"It shouldn't come as a surprise that without Intel launching good CPUs, AMD would start trying to extract more money out of people. Its Ryzen 5000 series came out in late 2020 and introduced a bitter $50 price increase all across the board. That meant the six-core Ryzen 5 5600X was 20% faster than the 3600X for at best 20% more performance. AMD also decided to only launch four models of the Ryzen 5000 series, with the 5600X being the cheapest at $300, and the Ryzen 7 5800X the second cheapest at an unbelievable $450.

Meanwhile, Intel was making slow but steady progress on fixing 10nm. In 2019, it launched its Ice Lake mobile chips, which were only quad-cores and were barely better than 14nm equivalents, but it was progress. 2020 saw the introduction of Tiger Lake, another improvement, but they still only had quad-cores. But finally, at the very end of 2021, Intel was proud to launch 10nm CPUs that were actually worthy of the desktop.

Alder Lake, branded as 12th-generation chips, brought several new things to the table. It was 10nm and had a brand-new architecture, but also used two different types of cores, performance and efficiency cores. It's basically the same thing Apple and other ARM CPU designers do with their chips, but it had never been done before on the desktop. It wasn't clear how well this would work out, and I myself was quite skeptical.

But on launch day, Intel thankfully proved everyone wrong and miraculously got back into first place with its Core i9-12900K. Sporting eight P-cores and eight E-cores, it was much faster than AMD's Ryzen 9 5950X in both single- and multi-threaded workloads, and it was a decent bit faster in gaming too. It was also cheaper than the 5950X, which was shocking coming from Intel.

The entire 12th-generation lineup was great in general. While AMD had been content to just launch four models in 2020 and leave it at that, Intel launched tons of CPUs to cover the entire market within months. In its haste to respond to a suddenly competitive Intel, AMD slashed prices and launched some really awful budget CPUs that needed price cuts from launch day. AMD used up much of the goodwill it built up over the years, but for the first time in a long time, things were finally balanced.

Competition continues to persist in CPUs, and the field is getting bigger​

Today, Intel is on its 13th-generation chips, and AMD is on its Ryzen 7000 series. There are pros and cons for each, with Intel being great for value and AMD having better efficiency and upgradeability. It looks like Intel might be slipping again as its 7nm/Intel 4 process still isn't ready and because upcoming Meteor Lake chips might be laptop-only, but we probably aren't in store for another period of almost no competition. Things are in a good place and hopefully will be for the foreseeable future.

But there are big changes on the horizon when it comes to CPUs. ARM, which has largely been confined to mobile phones, is gaining momentum in servers, laptops, and even desktops. Apple's M1 and M2 chips especially are impressive and definitely deserve an honorable mention. RISC-V is also a rising star in the CPU market, and although it hasn't made a massive impact, it talks a big game. I think we're still far from ARM and RISC-V CPUs duking it out with x86 on equal footing in PCs and servers, but I don't doubt that it will eventually happen."

Source: https://www.xda-developers.com/best...l-39-s-long-awaited-return-to-the-competition

I owned both an Athlon 64 3000+, and a Core 2 Duo E6300. While decent CPUs, my no1. will always be the Coppermine Celeron 600, that I had.
Which was rock solid daily driven at 1080Mhz. So technically I broke the 1000Mhz barrier before the Athlon :p

That actually wasn't a bad article, and it highlights the bigger turning points for both AMD and Intel, along with their respective CPUs, from 2000-present.
Definitely worth the read for those who would like a quick history on said points.

Good find erek. (y)
I remember each of those happening - what a time to be alive!

for me it was my old opteron 165. my first dual core. came at 1.8Ghz, got it up to 2.4Ghz on air no problem - and i was able to reduce the voltage. later went water and with a bit of a voltage boost i got it to 3Ghz, stable all day long.

unfortunately i had a little accident with my water setup....might have trashed the mainboard. couldn't get another one by then, the AM2 sockets replaced the S939 very quickly.

for me it was my old opteron 165. my first dual core. came at 1.8Ghz, got it up to 2.4Ghz on air no problem - and i was able to reduce the voltage. later went water and with a bit of a voltage boost i got it to 3Ghz, stable all day long.

unfortunately i had a little accident with my water setup....might have trashed the mainboard. couldn't get another one by then, the AM2 sockets replaced the S939 very quickly.
That was an exceptionally good CPU, and the 2MB L2 cache certainly made a difference in workloads.

I still have my 165, what a great processor.

I still have my 165, what a great processor.
i sold mine ages ago. delidded it and had it on a home made water block. didn't look too pretty, but hey did the best i could with the tools i had to work with. block worked well though!

except i broke off a few drill tips in it....turns out steel fills a water loop with rust right quick. who knew.

Why the hell do people seem to constantly be saying stuff like this in the news section? If you dont like the news, I urge you to seek out "better" news and begin populating this section.
Because erek spams the living hell out of the news section with threads that should be in the many other areas of this message board.

Don't feign brain-dead by telling me that you don't see it.

The spamming also pushes threads off the first page far too soon - threads that actually belong in this forum or ones that are actually generating good levels of activity.

That is the exact kind of thing that contributes to diminishing traffic long-term.

Reactions: erek
like this
Sometimes he makes questionable choices, that's true. But the alternative is dead silence, when he was absent for a while nobody took up the reigns. This is clearly a case of step up or shut up.
The spamming also pushes threads off the first page far too soon - threads that actually belong in this forum or ones that are actually generating good levels of activity.
Oh, no the abyss of the second page, you can't possibly look there for topics. What was I thinking suggesting you contribute whan apparently checking page 2 is already too much work.
That is the exact kind of thing that contributes to diminishing traffic long-term.
Oh, yeah let's blame the one person who continually provides content, great plan.

Sometimes he makes questionable choices, that's true. But the alternative is dead silence, when he was absent for a while nobody took up the reigns. This is clearly a case of step up or shut up.

Oh, no the abyss of the second page, you can't possibly look there for topics. What was I thinking suggesting you contribute whan apparently checking page 2 is already too much work.

Oh, yeah let's blame the one person who continually provides content, great plan.
Copy-pasting content from elsewhere into one specific area of the forum is something a 10-cent script could do. And again... when it isn't going to the subforums it should, where it would draw more targeted user interest... is suffocating messageboard activity.

None of this should be that hard to grasp.

like this
Well before the thread gets locked I'll say this. I've been a (mostly quiet) part of this community for 15 years now. I was sad when Kyle left for his new job at Intel (IIRC, and I get why he did; I'd have done the same damn thing had I the opportunity and under his circumstance). I run a small discord server and I'm always posting stuff there regarding science and tech. I wouldn't mind taking an extra 15-30 minutes a day to contribute along side erek. Had I known this earlier I'd have started contributing far sooner.

Given the time and the resources, I'd possibly like to do more than just that. But it's best to save that talk for a future date...

If you don't like the stuff I'll post I'm open to reasonable criticism to improve my reposts for everyone.

Copy-pasting content from elsewhere into one specific area of the forum is something a 10-cent script could do. And again... when it isn't going to the subforums it should, where it would draw more targeted user interest...
Then write a better script.
is suffocating messageboard activity.
O, RLY erek is suffocating activity by actually posting articles? You clearly missed the part where he was gone for a few months and this forum was a dead zone.
None of this should be that hard to grasp.
Yet here you are not understanding the alternative

So the elephant in the room is that compared to the old days this forum is mostly dead. If someone is spending their free time to keep it slightly alive I'm not going to bitch about it.

On topic the MOS 6510
I loved that whole line. I wrote absolute tons of 6502 code. Pretty clean and understandable, if very limited (of course, given the time).

like this
They list the 2500k (2600k as part of that family) but failed at not listed the Celeron 300A. It gave what 50% clock increases while overclocking for basically nothing.

It’s an alright list I guess but I would have had different rankings.

So the elephant in the room is that compared to the old days this forum is mostly dead. If someone is spending their free time to keep it slightly alive I'm not going to bitch about it.

On topic the MOS 6510
Even Arnold is running it...

tumblr_721c3dc0c8e5d52408d2500a8dae4d22_fd5b594a_540.gif

Guess it just means we are old boys. No 300a nor Opty 165. Pack it in.

If i had to choose a new baseline though, I think the 2500k would be it.

My first dual core cpu was the AMD 3800x2, this was a huge step for Hardware at the time and why we have 8/16 cpu's today was AMD's design win back then.

In my mind these lists are incomplete without the unlocked Athlon t-bred B mentioned. So easy to overclock with a good nForce2 board. To this day I can go into the next room and run my $60 (back then) 1700+ at a 1ghz overclock to above 3200+ speeds with air cooling. A chip that cost nearly $400 at the time. Always wondered how much money AMD lost on that whole thing.

In my mind these lists are incomplete without the unlocked Athlon t-bred B mentioned. So easy to overclock with a good nForce2 board. To this day I can go into the next room and run my $60 (back then) 1700+ at a 1ghz overclock to above 3200+ speeds with air cooling. A chip that cost nearly $400 at the time. Always wondered how much money AMD lost on that whole thing.
Agreed, I had one

couldn't get mine stable though even though it OC'ed and booted like crazy

Because erek spams the living hell out of the news section with threads that should be in the many other areas of this message board.

So show us how it’s done then.

Back