6TB Seagate HDD $193 @ Best Buy

bman212121

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate-6tb-internal-sata-hard-drive-for-desktops/7523023.p?id=1219277909210&skuId=7523023&st=categoryid$pcmcat270900050001&cp=1&lp=7

Should be a 6 x 1TB platter drive I believe. Also, the verdict is still out if this is 7200rpm or not. From what I'm reading the acutrac drives are in fact 7200rpm, but there doesn't seem to be any literature stating one way or another. It's not in stock near me so I can't look at the box.

Limit 1 per order.

Going to give it a shot and see what I get, worst case is I can just return it if it's not what I want.

Interesting timing. I just hooked up a 5 terabyte external drive I bought a couple months ago and am pretty floored at its space and potential. Now I see that the 6 terabyte drive is finally out.

This is actually a really good deal; Newegg has it for $290, and Amazon is showing other 6 terabyte drives to be around that price as well.

2yr warranty

didnt know these were out yet. i think i'll stick with my 4TB drives. good deal though.

And Seagate just announced their 8TB drive today.... Lots of space... lots of data to lose if something happens. :)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate...23&st=categoryid$pcmcat270900050001&cp=1&lp=7

Should be a 6 x 1TB platter drive I believe. Also, the verdict is still out if this is 7200rpm or not. From what I'm reading the acutrac drives are in fact 7200rpm, but there doesn't seem to be any literature stating one way or another. It's not in stock near me so I can't look at the box.

Limit 1 per order.

Going to give it a shot and see what I get, worst case is I can just return it if it's not what I want.

Will find out in about an hour. Ordered 1 for pickup. Thanks for the post.

I thought the exact same thing. I've had nothing but failures with WD and Seagates. Hitachi's still reign supreme for me.

I buy nothing but WD Blacks now 0 failed out of 10 so far. I had 1 WD blue fail out of 6.

Seagates are the worst with 12 failures out of 15 drives.

I thought the exact same thing. I've had nothing but failures with WD and Seagates. Hitachi's still reign supreme for me.

I have a 250GB Hitachi drive still in service. It's been running every single day for I dunno... 10 years now? I got is shortly after SATA first came out.

Loco: Right now. Nothing but WD Blacks for me Thank You. You pay just a tad more, but they simply are so reliable!

It's a 7200rpm drive. It's hooked up now. Nothing on the box, on the drive, or in the box states it's rpm. Rest of my pc is filled with blacks and hitachi's. We'll see what happens. In-store price is still showing $359.99.

And Seagate just announced their 8TB drive today.... Lots of space... lots of data to lose if something happens. :)

Here we go again......

I've been hearing the "derp that's a lot of data to lose" for decades, every time a larger size drive launches. "9GB wow that's so much data to lose"... "100GB wow that's so much data"...

Only peabrains that don't backup their data are going to lose it. Size is irrelevant.

Will find out in about an hour. Ordered 1 for pickup. Thanks for the post.

You're welcome :)

It's a 7200rpm drive. It's hooked up now. Nothing on the box, on the drive, or in the box states it's rpm. Rest of my pc is filled with blacks and hitachi's. We'll see what happens. In-store price is still showing $359.99.

Sweet! No doubt that shelf price is why they still seem to be in stock at some locations. I think I stumbled upon this deal looking for something else. It probably won't take long now though to make it out of [H] and have the drives go out of stock.

@LOCO: That's some decent luck with the Blacks. I'm trying to replace some WD Greens that are RMA drives from a previous failure. Good luck here with Seagate with my first set of 320GBs giving out at about 7 years. I was looking for HGSTs but they are still hard to find and for almost the same money I can get 50% more storage. I have backups as I've almost had to use them before the first time the drives started failing.

So tempted, but will ultimately pass due to Seagate.

Hope the rest go to [H] members though!

Just seen this, suppose we should assume 6x1.33 platters?

Last I seen WD just managed to get 1.25 for their RED line so that is a new benchmark
unless Seagate somehow packed 7 platters.

Seagate drives are always amongst the fastest just not good on durability.

Could be cause and effect, pushing the limits also gives them an early death.

Seagates have been great for me. Also good luck with Samsungs. WDs have been awful with many failures.

Just seen this, suppose we should assume 6x1.33 platters?

Last I seen WD just managed to get 1.25 for their RED line so that is a new benchmark
unless Seagate somehow packed 7 platters.

Nope. 1.66TB platters. They've actually had it ready for about two years. And you're not going to see anyone releasing >5 platters in a 3.5"

HGST He6 drive is 7 stack but it's also unique as of now.

1.66TB, damn......that could get you a 2 platter 3TB drive slightly stroked.

Won't ship anymore...In store only. No store around me has it. Oh well.

I was going to bite but the more I thought about it, I didn't want a value oriented drive, that large, unproven as part of my system. Hell of a price for one drive however you can still recreate the 6TG for $199 via 2 drives at microcenter

No data to lose. The bigger capacity means that you only really need two or maybe four hard drives, and so data backup is a non-issue.

It'd be far more of a PITA if you had to do this with lots of little drives, as statistically it just means its that much more likely at least one will fail meaning you have to do work.

I'm sure these produce way less heat too than going old school with four 2TB drives.

No data to lose. The bigger capacity means that you only really need two or maybe four hard drives, and so data backup is a non-issue.

It'd be far more of a PITA if you had to do this with lots of little drives, as statistically it just means its that much more likely at least one will fail meaning you have to do work.

I'm sure these produce way less heat too than going old school with four 2TB drives.

Agreed - most of us know that having some kind of backup in place is vital, especially with these drives getting bigger and bigger. My comment was more geared to those who will just get one of these things and fill it to the brim, and complain when they lose data because they didn't have a backup strategy in place. I myself am uber-safe since I lost a WD green drive years ago. Backups of Backups of Backups and then to the cloud for me.

So an update to anyone wanting to look at these drives in the future. They seem to be pretty quick at performance overall. I don't know how they compare to other drives in the 3 - 6TB range but in a real world copy of 200GB of large files I saw a tad over 200MBps on both reads and writes.

The first time I ran HDTach and ATTO something was odd and they only showed around 100MBps on the reads and 200MBps on the writes. I really don't know what caused it but I did add a fan to just make sure the drive stayed cooler since it does seem to be pretty warm. I doubt that fixed anything but I had turned the pc off and on again before I ran those tests again later on. Now I'm seeing a consistent 210MBps (+-10MBps) in HDTach across the entire drive in a read test (Can't test write) and Atto showing about 220MB on its read and write tests at anything 4K and larger. The burst rate on HDTach is around 350MBps meaning it does actually use sata 3 for bursting. Formatted capacity is 5.45TB.

We'll see how the drive goes long term but it is definitely a huge step up in performance from the WD greens it will replace. 2 x 2TB RAID 0 on WD greens is still slower on writes than this single drive IIRC. Reads are similar. The main thing is that if HDTach is actually correct there is no performance penalty from one end of the drive to the other.

ok7jw9.jpg

16j1vn8.jpg

I don't have any reference for this but I'll throw it in there anyway.

18y7pi.jpg

Last edited:
I just had a brand new 4TB Hitachi drive fail this week, Should I give segate a try again all ofg my segate drives I have purchased are dead or dying, but I got them several years ago. The only drive that have a solid track record for me are Samsung and they don't make those anymore.

All spinners should be treated as consumables that will fail, but statistically Hitachi/WD are still your best bets according to all data available, regardless of what you've personally experienced.

All spinners should be treated as consumables that will fail, but statistically Hitachi/WD are still your best bets according to all data available, regardless of what you've personally experienced.

Yes but constantly rebuilding arrays or storage pools every few months gets old real fast.

I'd swear that Google said they were all about the same, except for a few select models. As I recall, they also said that new models tend to fail more often than those that have been out for a while.

I'm so out of it, though, I thought 4TB was pretty much it and that 6TB was just around the corner.

That said, I have 2 Seagates and a ton of WD's. One Seagate is brand new the other is probably 9-10 months old. I will say that drives in the last 7 years die more than they did prior to that (IME), but it's a small sample size, and the fact that I had only 1 drive die from 1988-1994 (a maxtor) and the next drive that died (1997) was the RMA maxtor. I've had several WD's die since then, but I run those drives 24x7, which I never did until 3 or years ago.

Back