6870 wake from sleep - card crashes

killerbobjr

Limp Gawd
My new Sapphire 6870 is occasionally failing to initialize when waking from sleep (and occasionally when booting up). The card fan will immediately spin at maximum and my computer beeps the beep code for "no video card installed." When I shut off power on the power supply, wait for the motherboard LED to go out, then start back up again, the card still crashes and the computer still doesn't see the video card. I have to pull out the PS/2-to-USB converter for my mouse (attached to my KVM switch), before the video card can properly initialize again and my computer can boot.

My motherboard is an Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe WiFi (790FX) that worked without issue with the previous card, a Visiontek 3870 (and also with the 7950GT I've occasionally put in for testing purposes). The KVM box is a DVI, PS/2 type that gets power from either the PS/2 port or from a power supply (the power supply is plugged in to it currently). The keyboard goes straight from the KVM to the PS/2 port, no converter.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this with their video card crashing on wake or boot? Is my new 6870 defective? (It's not overclocked if anyone's wondering). I really don't want to go through another video card RMA (see my previous post), so if it's something that's known to happen, I''ll just adapt.

ETA 10/28/2011: Well I did an experiment by adding a 5V power supply to a normally unpowered USB hub that's connected to one of the ports. The card finally crashed again today and I wasn't able to reboot my system and have the 6870 start up normally until I removed the 5V power supply from the hub. So it looks like my 6870 may have an incompatibility with my Asus motherboard. That sucks!

ETA 11/05/2011: This is for anyone doing a search that comes across a similar problem. The problem is not with the USB ports. Seems the incompatibility is in the motherboard. The BIOS default for PCI-e slot power is 25W. The PCI-e 2.0 specification is 150W and the PCI-e 1.0 spec is 75W. Once I set the BIOS settings to 75W, all the sleep/wake, power off/power on problems went away. My 6870 has started up fine after at least a dozen cycles.

Last edited:
Back