6800u Power Issues...

krizzle

Gawd
K, short and sweet.

I have a BFG 6800u AGP. They say you need a 480watt PSU. I have a thermaltake 420.

K, I know this is sub-par, and the nVidia drivers notify me of this. However,

I've tried hooking up the card to its own dedicated 250watt power supply, jumped with a paper-clip. And still, the power deficiency message pops up.

With 250 watts feeding only the card, and still not enough power, i'm beginning to suspect it's a defect card.

The Forceware 66.67 beta drivers seem to have no sentinel module, so it doesn't give me power warnings. I've been running those so I can play at full speed. No problems whatsoever. I even overclock with no issue.

What do you guys think? Should I shell out cash for a 500+ watt PSU or is it really a defect card? Any suggestions are welcome.

I'm sure that the 6800 U isn't using all the watts available from a 250watt PSU but have you considered how many amps that card requires? How many amps is that 250watt providing on the 12v rail? What about the 420?

remember that watts is just one measur of a PSU's output. You have to consider amps too but I would guess that if you are playing at full speed with no problems then you are OK with your setup as it is.

right... but i'd love to update the drivers... we're approaching the 8 series drivers and im on 6 betas... not cool.

I have no multimeters handy. Perhaps it is about the ampage... hmm.

Back