6800GT vs 6800U

krizzle

Gawd
I want to know...
What physical differences are there between these cards?
Other than the HSF units...
I know the GT has 1 molex connector...
I wanna buy one of these, and have the money for both. Is the difference worth $100?

If they are physically identical cards, has anyone ever flashed it's bios??
+ would the 6800 Ultra benifit from watercooling?

the only physical difference is the two molex connectors and the HS/F
Aside from that, they took the better GPU's and RAM that can run at higher clock speeds and saved them for the ultras.
Most of the GT's can run at Ultra speeds, but then again the Ultras can run beyond ultra speeds.
As far as the flash goes, it has been done, but many problems have insued and I'd recommend against it.
Watercooling never hurts does it?!? :D

thank you. Well, then, looks like I'll be waiting longer for a 6800U. Anyone think they will be in stores like Fry's or CompUSA or Best Buy before august 9th??
Upon the watercooling issue, I just don't think that a GPU waterblock will cool a beast like the 6800Ultra any better than that huge jet on it already..

well what I did so I don't have to wait is, I went ahead and purchased an eVGA 6800gt (comes with FarCry :eek: ) and within 90 days you can trade it up to the card of your choosing. I was hoping that in 90 days the Ultras will be more readily available. Well that was my theory anyways. ;)

*edit - oh yeah and you just have to pay the difference between what you paid for the gt and the price of the ultra so it won't cost anything more than it would have if you would have just purchased the ultra outright. As well as you get a videocard to play with sooner, for Doom 3!!!!!

well that's nice, but i can't do that... I can only buy it in the states, cos here in russia it isn't even heard of, considering 9800XT's still cost $700... Well, I'm in the states for 2 weeks, and that's when I have to buy it.

Well if thats the case, for the money you can't beat the 6800 GT
$400 and in stock in many places compared to the Ultra which is still pretty hard to find.
I got mind from eVGA with two day shipping for $420 and I ordered it monday, it was here wednesday

Also, the Ultra has faster 1.6ns ram (rated 1200mhz) versus the GT with 2.0ns ram (rater 1000mhz).

Yes, the GT has been flashed to Ultra successfully at NVNEWS, but there is no reason to do so as it is risky and will get you nothing except the deviceid of 6800 Ultra to show up.

flashing to an ultra raises the voltage to your GPU as well.

Yeah it raises the core voltage from 1.3 to 1.4, and I read in a couple of cases where that totally fubarred them, as well as they were having trouble reverting back to the old bios.

Back