6800GT Order..New PC Following*help*

KarmaPolice

Limp Gawd
Ok i just ordered my 6800GT from eVGA.com...which has offical set me on a time clock to build this computer! Finally i shall have it lol...Anyway here we go with what i want and what i plan to get. Any opinions appreitated, i just need the final ok so i know i am not screwing myself over. I have 2g to spend and i am leaving for vacation on the 29th and wont get back till the 1st. The video card ships the 2nd so i want my computer parts here before or when the video card arrives! I will buy buying from new egg so i plan to buy tomorrow..does that make sense?

2000 budget system:

Amd64 3500+

ASUS "A8V Deluxe Wi-Fi" K8T800 Pro Chipset

WD 160GB 7200RPM OEM

NEC 8X Black Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive, Model ND-2510A BLK, OEM BULK

MX510

Audigy 2 ZS GAMER LE

Already have Xdreamer-2

XP PRP

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail

I plan to buy a monitor but i dont knwo which one yet...

I already have a Klipsch 5.1 set up

What do you all think?

3500..the memory and all..

Thx a lot!

comes to about 1,600 so far

great just get a better power supply. and the logitech elite is great, but expensive for a keyboard. u might be just happier with a cheap keyboard.

I highly recommend seeing if you can afford an LCD Panel Display. Nice and crisp IMO :D

Old IBM model Ms are nice for KBs too. No funky keys though, not even a windows key. They're also noisy due to being fully mechanical. IMHO they have the best key feel around though.
You'll definatley want a better PSU than the one that comes w/ the case. PCP&C is probably the best, but an Antec TruePower, Fortron Source, Enermax, Sparkle, or a couple of other brands will do just fine. I've used included PSUs before, but after the first time ('97... was sort of a noob back then) I've made sure they were decent. One was an Enermax, the other a Sparkle.
I've got the MX510. Great mouse. Comfortable, accurate, and has a nice weight to it. It feels solid, but not too heavy. The only problem is if I eat (say, Doritos) at the computer it seems to get dirty really fast. No more cleaning a mouse ball, but now I have to clean the top of the mouse lol.
I'm kinda down on WD HDs right now, but that's just because I had a 1 yo 1200JB die on me at work. It may just be my "curse" though. IDE drives just seem to croak on me left & right. Fortunately my main rig & server are SCSI and FC-AL.

zandor said:
Old IBM model Ms are nice for KBs too. No funky keys though, not even a windows key. They're also noisy due to being fully mechanical. IMHO they have the best key feel around though.
You'll definatley want a better PSU than the one that comes w/ the case. PCP&C is probably the best, but an Antec TruePower, Fortron Source, Enermax, Sparkle, or a couple of other brands will do just fine. I've used included PSUs before, but after the first time ('97... was sort of a noob back then) I've made sure they were decent. One was an Enermax, the other a Sparkle.
I've got the MX510. Great mouse. Comfortable, accurate, and has a nice weight to it. It feels solid, but not too heavy. The only problem is if I eat (say, Doritos) at the computer it seems to get dirty really fast. No more cleaning a mouse ball, but now I have to clean the top of the mouse lol.
I'm kinda down on WD HDs right now, but that's just because I had a 1 yo 1200JB die on me at work. It may just be my "curse" though. IDE drives just seem to croak on me left & right. Fortunately my main rig & server are SCSI and FC-AL.

Thx a lot for the advice and the confidence booster..i will be buying in about two hours so anything will help.

Yeah the WD will be SATA...whcih i have never used or installed before so I dont really know what to expect.

Man, I really want one of those A64 3500+s.... :drool:

Good choice on the case too, I think it looks really nice.

Devlyyn said:
Man, I really want one of those A64 3500+s.... :drool:

Good choice on the case too, I think it looks really nice.

Yeah it was actually kinda lucky..i didnt really buy it.

I was in a little LAN tourney at my school and i won one of the tournaments and that was the prize! I was going to get one of those nice antecs or the sonota..but you cant say no to free! :p

Quick update on the shipping problem:

I just called eVGa and apparently its gonna take like 5 days for my card to get here since i live accross the country :( should have shipped air..ah well...

Anyway....If i want my newegg order to arrive pretty much the same day when should i order it. The EVGA card will ship on the 2nd. I dont want to order from newegg and have parts laying arounddoing nothing when a price drop could have been had.

thx again

(oh yeah..I live in PA)

The Samsung Monitor looks good. I use a Nec FE991SB and it works great though it is more 247.00 and has a 35.00 shipping fee on newegg. Like the others said the Logitech elite is a nice keyboard that will look good with a mx510 but it is not that much better than a standard one.

gamer1drew said:
The Samsung Monitor looks good. I use a Nec FE991SB and it works great though it is more 247.00 and has a 35.00 shipping fee on newegg. Like the others said the Logitech elite is a nice keyboard that will look good with a mx510 but it is not that much better than a standard one.

thx, ill go to my local CC and check out the keyboard...i think keyboards are very important..they all feel VERY diff

I am lame :( lol i am now thinking of just going 3400....3400, 3500 such a little diff..just a 4 and a 5...why must you plauge me at night!

KarmaPolice said:
I am lame :( lol i am now thinking of just going 3400....3400, 3500 such a little diff..just a 4 and a 5...why must you plauge me at night!
that one number makes a HUGE difference, u will be going from a 754 non upgradable cpu, to 939 future upgradable system that will destroy the 754 especially with the new processors that will come out in december sometime. :D

Qwertyman said:
that one number makes a HUGE difference, u will be going from a 754 non upgradable cpu, to 939 future upgradable system that will destroy the 754 especially with the new processors that will come out in december sometime. :D

aye but what mobo with the 939..no good ones out

KarmaPolice said:
it has gotten some bad reviews apparently.

at the moment the best board is the gigabyte one...which is nforce3...

i have no clue what that means but apparently its good lol

$220 tho :(
its better then nforce2 is what it means! :D i'm seriously waiting for nforce4 which will be in a few more months, hopefully with 24pin, 3x3 pci-express and sli modes for dual 6800's. now i need money.

Qwertyman said:
its better then nforce2 is what it means! :D i'm seriously waiting for nforce4 which will be in a few more months, hopefully with 24pin, 3x3 pci-express and sli modes for dual 6800's. now i need money.

yeah but i dont even know what the nforce means..and why some boards ahve it and some dont..I dont really OC or anyting like that..or mess with timings..i just can build it and play it lol.

THat would be an expensive comp man...like more then 2g!

I was going to wait for the PCI-E but that just doesnt seem worth it..True i waited like a year to build this PC but school is starting..the prices just dropped on the AMD64s and i dunno if PCI-E will make a huge diff

Keyboards are for typing, dude :D I don't give a shit about keyboard, I use nostromo for gaming, way better than any keyboard.And it costs less than $20!

KarmaPolice said:
yeah but i dont even know what the nforce means..and why some boards ahve it and some dont..I dont really OC or anyting like that..or mess with timings..i just can build it and play it lol.

THat would be an expensive comp man...like more then 2g!

I was going to wait for the PCI-E but that just doesnt seem worth it..True i waited like a year to build this PC but school is starting..the prices just dropped on the AMD64s and i dunno if PCI-E will make a huge diff

once they get the driver setup right, PCI-E will be really good, it has a faster bandwith then agp. Nforce is mainly the driver setup inside the system, AMD's use nforce while Intel use i think a better setup in there boards with more compability but not as good for gaming. Nforce has better sound though then the onboard intels do.

It doesnt really matter if pci-e is faster for video cards...videocards still arnt capped by the agp 8x so it wont have any effect.

KarmaPolice said:
It doesnt really matter if pci-e is faster for video cards...videocards still arnt capped by the agp 8x so it wont have any effect.
well they are capped by how much voltages are allowed through them, agp doesn't offer that much voltages while pci-e needs a lot especially for the high end cards, and u will get better performance with more power. and now a pointless...:)

Qwertyman said:
well they are capped by how much voltages are allowed through them, agp doesn't offer that much voltages while pci-e needs a lot especially for the high end cards, and u will get better performance with more power. and now a pointless...:)

lol whatever..this rig i am buildng will still be good..and still alst a while..correct?

PLEASE say yes..dont scare me

KarmaPolice said:
lol whatever..this rig i am buildng will still be good..and still alst a while..correct?

PLEASE say yes..dont scare me
how many years are u looking for?...keep posting 12 more and you'll be a limp gawd!ooo yea!

Qwertyman said:
how many years are u looking for?...keep posting 12 more and you'll be a limp gawd!ooo yea!

lol
just got back from otakon...now its time to finish this thing up

Back