6800GT freezing

Mojo

[H]ard|Gawd
I am having an intermittent problem with Counterstrike Source and my 6800GT.

Sometimes when I'm playing the game will just freeze out of no where. The video and audio of the game both freeze and nothing responds. I know this can't be a CPU issue because my music from iTunes continues to play in the background when it happens. I can't even get back to the desktop by ctrl+esc, ctrl+alt+delete, alt+f4 or anything else.

I'm fairly sure my card is not overheating. I'm using Omega 66.93 drivers, and have the BFG 6800GT overclocked to 420mhz core and 1100mhz memory. That is with a Zalman VF700 Alcu heatsink fan unit also to help suck the heat out. My temps are around like 53C core and 40C ambient, maybe a few higher when playing but nothing over 60C.

I thought it might be my Powersupply being too small, but if that was the case my card probably would not run at all, correct? Because obviously the card is running at 420mhz/1100mhz 24/7 so it's not like it needs any more power when running a game.

Wondering if anyone could help me out with this. It's very annoying.

Plzzzzzzzzzzzz help meeeeeeeeeeeeee. : )

Could try updating your mother boards BIOS to the latest version. My 6800GT was freezing fon everygame before I could even play. 2 minutes ago I updated my BIOS and I'm running clear. I;m running a Abit KV8Pro K8T800.

Probably not your problem but it's worth a try.

Mike

Just my 2 cents but for all out gaming I only run the game.
I even close my antivirus because I saw sometimes it would trigger while playing.

And running 2 applications that access the sound card. I tunes and games.
try running just the game without the itunes and see if it ever freezes.

Now I know some games line GTA and Silent Hunter III allow you to play your own music in the background.....but the game remains in control of the soundcard.

My guess is IRQ fighting of the soundcard between I tunes and Counterstrike Source.

PS "I'm fairly sure my card is not overheating."
You can read the temperature of the 6800 GT with the Nvidia Forceware control application.
Right click your desktop to activate, many options there.
Great card.

I have a similar problem with CSS and my BFG 6800GT the card just shuts off entirely, but the rest of the computer stays running just fine. I have to reboot to get it to work again.

I can tell the card is off because the blue LEDs on it shut off along with the fans.

It only happens every now and then, not like every time I play. I have the 78.01 drivers and I have an Antec 500W psu with all voltages within spec.

My friend had a similar problem with his 6800. The game or benchmark would freeze, and the monitor would lose signal. He turned off the computer, and reseated the card (pulled it out AGP slot and put it back in). He doesn't get the problem anymore. So try reseating your card, to see if you're getting the problem still.

Mojo, just to be sure, try running the game without the overclock. Also, what power supply do you have? I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the graphic card actually does use up more power when running a game (since it's under load).

Back