6800GT artifacting (stock)... RMA's backed up?

d34dly

2[H]4U
Ok so my BFG 6800gt OC is artifacting.... even at stock speeds. So obviously I am going to try and RMA it, but I have heard that RMA's are backed up, and people are waiting a long time for their new card. Is this true? Because at the moment and I can deal with the artifacting if I have to. I am in a COD: UO clan and I can't afford to lose the performance.

So yeah is it backed up?

got my dell 8400 with 6800 gt on friday afternoon
i was on tech support for an hour, dell kept giving me the "we dont suppor any 3rd party software speech"

after they finally admitted the card was bad,, the tech guy on duty said that due to the popularity of the card that it could be 3 to 4 weeks for a replacement,.

told him if i dont have a new card in my system by this tues the 2nd of nov ill just send the whole system back.....i got it on my dell prefered business account, i havnt made payments on it so its still actually their computer.

the customer service manager on duty said he will see what can be done..........

bet ya all i end up sending the computer back to them......

:( :mad:

what do you think???

The video card supply system is pretty stretched. It has been for quite some time now. A lot of people want video cards, and the demand outstrips supply by a long way. The wait is there, its not that they are trying to screw you around (although with Dell, you can never tell). d34dly, I would keep the card, try to change some settings, because otherwise you will be sitting there for a few weeks without a vid card. I don't know if you caould handle that, but I sure know I couldn't :rolleyes:

4keatimj said:
The video card supply system is pretty stretched. It has been for quite some time now. A lot of people want video cards, and the demand outstrips supply by a long way. The wait is there, its not that they are trying to screw you around (although with Dell, you can never tell). d34dly, I would keep the card, try to change some settings, because otherwise you will be sitting there for a few weeks without a vid card. I don't know if you caould handle that, but I sure know I couldn't :rolleyes:

I don't think they are trying to screw anyone as I can understan when you have a popular product... but I need a new card. This artifacting is driving me nuts. Thanks for the input though.

Do your artifacts look anything like these?

3DMark03%202004-11-01%2022-18-37-03.jpg

3DMark03%202004-11-01%2022-19-05-21.jpg

If so, we got the same problem. I haven't been able to find a solution yet. And I am lothe to RMA.

yevaud said:
Do your artifacts look anything like these?

*pics edited out*

If so, we got the same problem. I haven't been able to find a solution yet. And I am lothe to RMA.

Yup... exactly. And I am not OC'ing at all.

I am shipping a BFG 6800 oc (128) back today. My conversation with the BFG tech support indicated 72 hours after receiving (undamaged and the problem is the card not the user) they will send the new card.

What do you have to do to RMA? Do you have to put everything back into the original box, including any driver and game cd's? I've never had to do it before- and I hate that I'll have to go through the exercise. What about proof of purchase? Who gets the RMA? the card manufacturer or the place I bought it from?
I know these are noob questions, but I'm in uncharted (read:gay) territory with a $400 defective computer part (a first for me).

Back