6800GT + Antec TruePower 380w = Sorry overclock?

NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
Hi everyone,

Yesterday I picked up a PNY 6800 GT to replace my Radeon 9800XT and so far I'm pretty impressed performance wise. The only potential sore spot is that the coolbits 'detect maximum settings' widget for overclocking only detects a max core of like 370 - 375mhz and a max memory of 1.03 - 1.05ghz. This seems pretty poor to me when most everyone else is seeing over 400/1.1 speeds with their GTs,

I'm wondering if the card isn't to blame, but my PSU is. It's a 380w Antec TruePower 380S originally from an Antec Sonata case. Could it be that the PSU just isn't providing enough juice for a stable overclock?

I saw one other person on the [H]ard|Forum with this same PSU and a 6800GT with the same crappy autodetect max overclock speeds. Anyone else out there hiding a crappy overclock?

That's a pretty good, solid PSU - it won't be the problem.

What molex is powering the card? Does it 'serve' power to any other bit of hardware? Try swapping it with another one, or unplugging some stuff, to see if it helps at all.

Arseface said:
That's a pretty good, solid PSU - it won't be the problem.

What molex is powering the card? Does it 'serve' power to any other bit of hardware? Try swapping it with another one, or unplugging some stuff, to see if it helps at all.

The molex that's powering the card is totally vacant save the card, but I will try a different line just in case. :)

Tried unplugging everything but my HD, no dice
Tried switching to a different line off the PSU, no dice

Shit, with my luck I probably got the only bum GT in existance. :p

I dont think it is the power supply

I have the same one in my Antec Sonata, and I have the BFG 6800 GT

when I do autodetect it picks it up at 395/1004 or something like that

I ran it for a bit on those speeds but in all honest didnt see huge difference in terms of speed so went back to stock which for BFG is 370/1000

I can probably push it more but didnt see a reason

my card autodetected at 420/1110, but it is artifact free up to 430/1170, maybe even higher. try overclocking it manually.

The 6800GT is only rated at 350/1000, so anything you get after that is bonus. You just weren't as lucky as some others.

I am fully aware of what the GT is rated at, thanks.

Back