6800GT and Strafing/Image Movement Problem ..help!

zlooop

Gawd
Ok... so ive noticed that my 6800GT is certainly a fast card, but it also has some visual problems.

The Problem:

Ok.. this is kinda hard to explain. When I am facing a wall with uniform textures, and i strafe and keep my crosshair in the same position, the wall textures appear to move at different speeds. So, if there are a lot of bricks, this problem looks much worse as you can see the bricks split apart and move at different speeds. This problem also happens in windows. If i move a window left and right, the window appears to become cut and blocky looking. Its really easy to reproduce. Basically the faster I move the image the more noticeable. Ive seen this problem in CS Source and Doom3 (but not as much doom3 probobably because its not as bright).

My system right now is:
3400 AMD
EVGA 6800GT w/ 65.73 reference drivers
1GB Kingston HyperX
MSI K8N Neo Platinum w/ 4.27 drivers
WinXP with SP1

This is basically a fresh install, so i doubt it could be driver conflicts. You guys have any suggestions?

Let me know! Thanks.

PS I have tried the following:

Disabled Fastwrite
Disabled Disk Caching

I'm assuming you've tried v-sync both on and off to see which you prefer/confirm that's not the problem. You should also make sure your refresh rate is as high as possible for your Windows resolution (85 Hz or higher at least) and get something to make sure you aren't running into the Windows refresh rate problem (I use MultiRes, but there are other problems) where changing resolutions to go into games defaults the refresh rate to 60 Hz. On my system, I notice a huge difference in smoothness with and without this fix.

Craftish said:
I'm assuming you've tried v-sync both on and off to see which you prefer/confirm that's not the problem. You should also make sure your refresh rate is as high as possible for your Windows resolution (85 Hz or higher at least) and get something to make sure you aren't running into the Windows refresh rate problem (I use MultiRes, but there are other problems) where changing resolutions to go into games defaults the refresh rate to 60 Hz. On my system, I notice a huge difference in smoothness with and without this fix.

Yes i have tried the Vsync feature on and off. Vsync helps in doom3, but it doesnt do crap in CS source.

I also have a Sony LCD monitor which is capped at 60HZ... I dont know if this is relevant to this problem or not.

Its not really smoothness though.. THe game runs super smooth when i dont have to turn really fast. As soon as i move a window or turn extremely fast its very noticeable

I think im going to change my motherboard...cause this MSI is a piece of shit.

ASUS here i come.

Many games disable vsync by default, Wolfenstein ET comes to mind, and you cant enable it unless you use r_swapinterval. CS:Source might override your vsync settings *and you may just have to manually enable it via some variable. And if you're 100% positive thats not it, im not sure what to tell you :)

Back