6800 GT vs x800pro -PCPop review (pics)

Bad_Boy

2[H]4U
here is a review where they test the X800pro...
againts the Geforce 6800 Gt..

DO NOT POST COPYRIGHTED MATERIALS HERE. It is not cool to steal folks work. Just link it next time.

Because the GT has more active pipelines? You could turn the pro into an XT... you could also likely overclock the GT to U speeds. My money goes to whichever company makes a prettier card! (Just kidding, neither deserve me money!! :p )

wait, the Pro beat the Ultra in a majority of the meaningful reviews yet the lower priced GT somehow came out on top in these benchies? can someone say picking and choosing the proper settings to achieve those results? not the optimal settings us gamers would chose? haha

I think the 6800 is a fictitious card. I haven't seen one yet. I am really excited about getting one because of the alleged video encoding chip which will render like a bat out of hell in Premiere Pro 1.5 with Xplode 4.0.

I hope to spot one pretty soon. This is what I call a real paper launch.

The X800 Pro only benched blah, blah, blah, and I caught a fish thisssssssss big.

I dont see how they can have the 6800GT beating the X800 Pro in Farcry. Its the first time Ive seen that happen.

Both equally matched cards. Too many synthetic reviews with beta drivers for me though.

Curley said:
I think the 6800 is a fictitious card. I haven't seen one yet. I am really excited about getting one because of the alleged video encoding chip which will render like a bat out of hell in Premiere Pro 1.5 with Xplode 4.0.

I hope to spot one pretty soon. This is what I call a real paper launch.

The X800 Pro only benched blah, blah, blah, and I caught a fish thisssssssss big.

You have any more info on this chip?

At a guess it was a (HAND PICKED)16piped card From Nvidia=("NOT RETAILED"):rolleyes: Against a 12piped ("RETAILED") card from ATI. And Yet People will Base there purchase off of 1 set of benchmarks :eek: :confused: Im waiting until Brent and Beyond3D review a ("RETAILED") 6800 anything or someone can gulp actually find one :p

1 site against everybody else, yet after looking just at this they make their decision, go figure.

I'd rather have GT than X800 but certainly i can live with my 9700np till they get to $200 mark :D

Julian said:
Anand and Tom have benchmarked the 6800GT and it beat the X800pro in most things

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=2044&p=10

Cant be bothered to link to Tom :p

...Oh the GT is the card I intend to get :D its beets the X800pro in gl hands down and in directx9 when the resolution is cranked up and image quality cranked up

I've been saying/thinking this for a while now. Plus, It's gonna own the x800 in the DOOM3 benches, whenever those come out, I'd bet money on it.

Well the rumours is that ATI is releasing a X800XT (500/500) 16 pipelines that ev will ship earlier than the X800XT PE to compete against the 6800 GT so there can be something behind these benchies definiatly.

If so it´s quite obvious that ATI thinking a 12 pipeline video card would be able to compete with the 6800 ULTRA wasn´t all realistic ;)

most bang for the buck definiatly seem to be 6800GT or X800XT (not PE) that´s for sure depending on pricing of course.

Long as both flavours of the XT come out and push the Pro down to a manageable $3xx ballpark around the time that 939 mobos start popping I'll be happy. Tho a 6800 might be in a later XEON/DDR2 system if I can pickup some more video/audio editing work after the fall term at school is done killing me.

The 6800 GT is probably well over 30 days away from us it sounds like. Sometime in july hopefully.

Yes, but the X800XT will be $100 more expensice than the 6800GT. It's supposed to compete with the ultra, so the pricing will be similar to it? And PE has the exact same price as regular XT...

The 6800GT was pretty bright on my radar before this and I was probably going to get one if it didn't suck, and this only helps thing for me.

We don´t know the price of the XT yet of course it will be cheaper than the X800XT PE...

The prices on the GT I have seen is about 80$ cheaper than the ULTRA... I guess the X800XT will be something similar but who knows?

The 6800 GT is not an option just because I need a new video card now. X800 PRO was too slow so it will be either a X800XT PE or 6800 ULTRA for me...

Unoid said:
wait, the Pro beat the Ultra in a majority of the meaningful reviews yet the lower priced GT somehow came out on top in these benchies? can someone say picking and choosing the proper settings to achieve those results? not the optimal settings us gamers would chose? haha

No kidding. Something seems fishy. I bought the X800Pro because it seemed faster or just as fast as the 6800Ultra in most cases. So now the $300 Geforce 6800GT suddenly can give the X800Pro a asswhipping? I think something's amiss.

When I got my X800Pro and ran it at the settings for the games in the [H]ardOCP review of the X800Pro/X800XT-PE I got almost the EXACT same results they did with my X800Pro. Leading me to believe the review to be accurate.

Something's definatley wrong with that review.

Sir-Fragalot said:
No kidding. Something seems fishy. I bought the X800Pro because it seemed faster or just as fast as the 6800Ultra in most cases. So now the $300 Geforce 6800GT suddenly can give the X800Pro a asswhipping? I think something's amiss.

The amiss part would be assuming the Pro could beat the Ultra. Do people only read one review and make a $400 purchase decision based off it? That stikes me as rather foolish. Almost every other review I read on the net clearly showed the Ultra putting the Pro to shame. I suppose if you read a review showing your favorite card the clear victor than you wouldn't want to read any other, but for the love of god we're talking about $400 here.

I guess the problem is that people use Far Cry as the number uno benchmark since it´s by far the best game engine released to date and nvidia just plain suck at it currently...

But we will see better reviews when nvidia have whql certified drivers

Why? PE is identical to a regular XT. Only slightly higher clock speeds by defaults. And it has some other feature which I forgot about because it's useless. And according to ATi, the PE should cost same as a regular XT as well.

Why is the 6800GT cheaper than the 6800 ULTRA?

Do I need to explain why the X800XT clocked at 500/500 is cheaper than the PE at 525/550 :confused:

Vagrant Zero said:
The amiss part would be assuming the Pro could beat the Ultra. Do people only read one review and make a $400 purchase decision based off it? That stikes me as rather foolish. Almost every other review I read on the net clearly showed the Ultra putting the Pro to shame. I suppose if you read a review showing your favorite card the clear victor than you wouldn't want to read any other, but for the love of god we're talking about $400 here.

It wasn't my favorite card. Not at all. In fact I have a personal preference against ATi. But more than 1 review I saw showed that the 6800Ultra was only marginally faster if at all than the X800Pro. That's what I based my decision on. That and the rediculous power requirements for the 6800-Ultra and finally price was the decisive factor.

Not to mention the X800Pro was first in availability and I was using a 9600Pro. I was ready to buy and I was in bad need of an upgrade.

Sir-Fragalot said:
It wasn't my favorite card. Not at all. In fact I have a personal preference against ATi. But more than 1 review I saw showed that the 6800Ultra was only marginally faster if at all than the X800Pro. That's what I based my decision on. That and the rediculous power requirements for the 6800-Ultra and finally price was the decisive factor.

Not to mention the X800Pro was first in availability and I was using a 9600Pro. I was ready to buy and I was in bad need of an upgrade.

For all we know those could have been the reviews where the 6800 was running with full trilinear instead of brilinear like the x800. Stupid ati marketing.

Anyways, I can't wait for the 6800 GT to come out as I need a new gfx card this summer. Doesn't mean I'm favoring the 6800 or the x800 at this moment, but I can't make a very good decision until both are out. The Ultras and XT are just overkill for my p4 2.4c and my ti4200 is coming to the end of its reign in my pc.

Most did bench with the optimizations enabled and just about all mentioned wether they benched with brilinear or not...

Can you actually buy a 6800GT anywhere?
The only listing on pricewatch is a preorder Aopen Aeolus for $450 from GamVE.

They say:
This item will be released on 6/28/2004
I wonder how accurate they are.

M4d-K10wN said:
Yes, but the X800XT will be $100 more expensice than the 6800GT. It's supposed to compete with the ultra, so the pricing will be similar to it? And PE has the exact same price as regular XT...

Im not so sure its going to be $100 more. The MSRP will be, but the street price wont be, at least at first. zipzoomfly sold some X800XT's for $439 shipped.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=324030

They had a very limited supply.. but thats a great price. Sold out now of course, eta of more end of this month.

I doubt there will be $339 6800GT's for sale very soon, but you never know. It would be VERY nice if there was.

SnakEyez187 said:
1 site against everybody else, yet after looking just at this they make their decision, go figure.

what are you talking about? every site that has GT benchmarks show that it beats the Pro in the majority of tests...

Depends on the quality settings. ATi cards still take a lesser performance hit from using AA and AF. On the other hand, if you use 1600x1200, you can't see AA at all, and you can't see AF beyond 2x. Well, that's on my 19'' monitor.

Back