660 Ti, time to upgrade?

Danith

2[H]4U
I've been out of the video card loop for awhile and I thought my graphics card was fine but playing Dying Light last night made me a little sad.
I play at 1920x1200 and to make it semi-smooth I have to turn off all the additional effects like HBAO and AA and Motion Blur and some other option they have. Can I upgrade to a decent card for less then $350 (cheaper is better), or should I just try to overclock my current one?

660ti's generally were overclocking monsters. Try that first, to see if that makes it playable for you. If not, there are GREAT deals out there right now on videocards, as the "next gen" is soon.

The R9 290's for ~225$ with aftermarket coolers are nearly impossible to beat!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202080&cm_re=r9+290-_-14-202-080-_-Product

This guy is generally regarded as one of the best, however @ 259$ it is a little more expensive, but still nearly 100$ cheaper than your budget! Sell that 660ti for a bit, and you've got a huge upgrade!

660TI its actually a low-end card.. its nothing strange to see it struggling with any recent game, you have actually 3 choices, wait for the new AMD cards, if you can't wait and if you want to stay in green team, GTX 970 will be your new toy, if you want to try something new, you can grab a R9 290X which can be find at Less than 300$ and would also be a great choice.

If you plan to replace the card, might as well give overclocking a go anyway to see if it can hold you over from updating.

By comparison, the just-released $200 2GB GTX 960 is just a bit faster than the 660 Ti. Probably not worth the upgrade.

A 960 Ti should be released sooner or later for around $250, and possibly a 960 Ti Boost for around $275 sometime after that (one or both might be 4GB, this is unclear for now). Then there's the $330 GTX 970 which is having a bit of a controversy about actually being a 3.5GB card rather than a 4GB card, but is still very good for 1200p and less.

I'll leave comments about AMD cards to those who understand them better.

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried overclocking and was freezing up on the Heaven benchmark at +40MHz GPU and +440MHz memory so not sure if I want to fool around with it anymore. Might check out a R9 290, but I've had bad luck with ATI stuff in the past so not sure.

I'm quite pleased with my gtx 970. . I don't care about all that 3.5/4 gb controversy.. because it doesn't change the fact it's still a great buy. If you're looking to upgrade right now for the budget you gave above, I'm fairly certain you'd be happy going that route as well.

Wait for Pascal. Just because one game doesn't run at ultra settings isn't a reason to buy a new card.

Dying Light and all these newer games are poorly optimized ports. All hardware is struggling right now. Even when you upgrade you will still get stutters and frame drops. I'm very discouraged right now with pc gaming and I'm not going to upgrade until I absolutely have to.

Back