60hz/120/144hz multi-monitor issue

mlcarson

Limp Gawd
This might just be an issue with the blurbuster ufo test www.testufo.com but I'm seeing stutter on this test where I shouldn't be. I've got a Rog Swift monitor running at 144hz and an HP ZR24W 60hz monitor on each side of it. If I leave the two ZR24W monitors unplugged from the graphics card (GT980) then the test works at 144hz with no stutter.

As soon as I connect the 60hz monitors, the test shows an awful stutter but it's not saying that on the test -- just valid. All 3 monitors are connected to the card's displayports. I've tried another GPU and isolated the Rog Swift from the other monitors with it and had the same issue so I don't think it's related to the GPU hardware.

If I change the colors from 32-bit (true color) to 16-bit (high color) on one of the 60hz monitors while the test is running, it'll immediately become buttery smooth at 144hz. One or both of the 60hz monitors can be set to 16-bit and all is well. Unfortunately, if you restart the test with a monitor in 16-bit color mode, the test will only go to 60hz. If you change the 60hz monitors to 32-bit color even after the test starts at 60hz, it'll then detect the higher refresh rate and do a 144hz test but again have the stutter. As soon as I change a monitor back to 16-bit, the test continues at 144hz and buttery smooth.

If I set the refresh rate of the Rog Swift to 120hz, I basically have the same results as 144hz documented above. The testing was done with Chrome.38.0.2125.111 m.

Anybody have a clue as to why this is happening? Is this a known issue with mixing refresh rates with Windows 7?

Firefox is worse than Chrome on this test. To begin with, Firefox can only do up to about 125-126fps so can't do a 144 fps test -- at least on my machine. If I change the monitor and window setting for 120hz refresh rate and run the test, it still stutters on the test and can't keep a 120fps test going without continuously resyncing. Firefox also immediately detects a 32 to 16-bit color change and drops down to 60 fps so I can't check for the same behavior that Chrome had. Bottomline is that I can't get a smooth test with Firefox even with a single monitor. This is version 33.1.1.

Chrome works fine with a single monitor where Firefox didn't. Chrome just can't do mixed 60/120hz monitors without change one of the 60hz monitors to 16-bit color.

I read a lot of posts where people are saying that mixed refresh rate monitors in extended desktop mode are no problem but they are a huge problem on this UFO Test.

My fix for this whole mess will simply be to put the 120hz monitor on it's own system. I find it weird that nobody else seems to have complained about this. It's probably not a big problem in games since G-sync requires dedicated full-screen anyway but I'm now doubting that this is just a bad test and is more likely some issue with Windows.

I had no problems with 144 hz and firefox. Hmmm. But that was version 32.xxx, a month ago or so. Windows 7 and Windows 8. Benq XL2411Z monitor, with ULMB enabled, blurbusters tool.

Changing to a non-aero desktop theme such as "Windows 7 Basic" prevents both Firefox and Chrome from trying anything but a 60 fps test on testufo.com.

yes windows is funky when you have aero + multiple displays @ unsync'd refresh rates

try autoscrolling or dragging a window around. if it looks smooth, you have nothing to worry about

To me, I see no discernible difference in moving windows around on the Rog and on the 60hz displays. The only browser extension that I can think of that could be common between Chrome and Firefox would be Lastpass and I doubt that's the issue given the nature of it.

Everything that I've seen tells me that the Windows desktop can't handle mixed 60/120/144 hz monitors -- the attempt just forces everything down to 60hz (non-aero) or adds enough jitter to think you're at 60hz (aero theme).

Maybe it's something to do with the aspect ratio differences -- the 24 inch monitors are 16:10 and the 27" Rog is 16:9.

last time i tried, (not sure if i remember correctly), on windows 7 windows syncs everything to the primary display, so that there is no tearing there, and tearing on the other displays.

I downloaded the 32.3 version of Firefox and it can do 144 fps; the current version (33.1.1) cannot. That explains why Rectal Prolapse had no issue with the 32.x version. 32.3 had the same stuttering as Chrome did with multiple monitors and worked fine on a single monitor.

One other thing of note -- both Firefox and Chrome can do a smooth 144fps test if they are not in full-screen mode. A windowed version of either even if the window is the full size of the screen will look smooth; as soon as you maximize it to full-screen - the stutter begins.
[edit] Ok, I figured it out. It's the windows taskbar. If I move the bottom bar to a 60hz monitor, the test goes smooth with all monitors in place. [/edit]

Back