6 GHz Intel Core Out-of-the-Box Demo

It's the power draw. It wins like half, some of them by slim margins then you look at the power and it's in another planet compared to the AMD chips. That's why. If the power draw was comparable then I see no problem with the chip but cooling an extra 100 - 150 watts of power is not easy.
Derbauer had a good video up where he tunes the 13900k and his results are surprisingly pretty good. He was pleased. He is using the Z790 Aorus Master same board I have. Also it's 24 cores 32 threads.

It's the power draw. It wins like half, some of them by slim margins then you look at the power and it's in another planet compared to the AMD chips. That's why. If the power draw was comparable then I see no problem with the chip but cooling an extra 100 - 150 watts of power is not easy.
It’s cooling and power budget that’s being taken away from the GPU. If you game at high res, the cpu doesn’t really matter with the modern stuff. If you’re not sitting on a good ddr4 kit where the lower end 13600 stuff does fine with, there’s no good reason to go Intel this round for high end gaming. You are better going AMD with an upgrade path and one of their single ccd chips imho and dumping all the money you save into your gpu. If you’re doing productivity stuff, the 13900 looks even worse compared to the 7950. Electricity isn’t getting cheaper.

64gb 8000 ram for the main build.
A: good luck reaching 8000 on 64GB

B: FYI 8000 requires good cooling on the RAM. You will need to rig up a nice fan, which hopefully has a good air path from intake. And even then, you may have time to benchmark----But you may not be able to keep the RAM cooled over time, to enjoy gaming with it.

This is another nothing burger development. I Consistently hit 5,975 on my 13900K and I'm doing nothing special other than running it in MSI's "Game Mode". It's just a better binned piece of silicon. It won't be worth the premium you will have to pay for it Assuming it's the 13900KS and not some other super special, secret part.

A: good luck reaching 8000 on 64GB

B: FYI 8000 requires good cooling on the RAM. You will need to rig up a nice fan, which hopefully has a good air path from intake. And even then, you may have time to benchmark----But you may not be able to keep the RAM cooled over time, to enjoy gaming with it.
I have 2 sets of RAM cooling fans that came with my previous corsair dominator and GT kits, but I don't want to cover up the RGB lul I may need to rig up the 200mm fan on the side panel again but you're right I had to wait a while to even get a 6000 kit that was 64gb I think it'll be a while till they have 8000 kits in 64gb.

What's the sustained power draw for running that fast: 300W? 500W? 800W?

Can't really go much higher than that if you want to pair it with a GPU because of the US power infrastructure.
Pretty sad when the day comes that a PC needs the same circuit as an electric range! (NEMA 14-50R)

60837-00-1.jpg

This is another nothing burger development. I Consistently hit 5,975 on my 13900K and I'm doing nothing special other than running it in MSI's "Game Mode". It's just a better binned piece of silicon. It won't be worth the premium you will have to pay for it Assuming it's the 13900KS and not some other super special, secret part.
Yea but since I'm buying it now, I might as well buy the 13900KS because I'm not going to upgrade my main rig for the better part of at least 5 years so I wanna go with the best for longevity.

Yea but since I'm buying it now, I might as well buy the 13900KS because I'm not going to upgrade my main rig for the better part of at least 5 years so I wanna go with the best for longevity.
I am in the same boat, but I have this gut feeling I do NOT want to have to upgrade my G2-1300 watt just to power a chip. My FE 4090 itself takes enough power, there has to be a better upgrade option that uses less power.

Don't get me wrong, I am ALL about the BEST performance, but this should have been able to be optimized better.

Curious what the new AMD chips come in at. I was hoping to have a good reason to stay Intel.

So far the new AMD platform seems more enticing (coming from an Asus Rampage V Extreme +5930k @ 4.4ghz.

Games run fine to my eye but I'd like to upgrade. Not sure why Intel is lagging or why it feels like they are so behind.

Interesting video by Derbauer. It is definitely serviceable as a gaming CPU daily driver when properly tuned. For most people it would make more sense to tune up a 13600K/F instead (as Derbauer mentions), but you aren't most people, especially being on water hehe. Have fun with the new chip :). It should be the best in the world for at least a month.

I am in the same boat, but I have this gut feeling I do NOT want to have to upgrade my G2-1300 watt just to power a chip. My FE 4090 itself takes enough power, there has to be a better upgrade option that uses less power.

Don't get me wrong, I am ALL about the BEST performance, but this should have been able to be optimized better.

Curious what the new AMD chips come in at. I was hoping to have a good reason to stay Intel.

So far the new AMD platform seems more enticing (coming from an Asus Rampage V Extreme +5930k @ 4.4ghz.

Games run fine to my eye but I'd like to upgrade. Not sure why Intel is lagging or why it feels like they are so behind.
Intel is having problems in their R&D, with smaller silicon.

Power usage is high. But, hasn't kept them from otherwise amazing performance.

AMD's silicon from TSMC is way smaller and a fair bit more efficient on total power usage. But, their overall performance is still roughly the same. And Zen 4's push to 95c always is clearly a toss to make sure their performance isn't clearly worse.

Looking like the non-x AMD cpus at 60 watts really don't give too much up as far as gaming and run much cooler of course.

Intel at 6GHz is really just more from it's marketing machine. The power draw is really out there.

If you are hell bent on pissing away a shitload of extra money, by all means do so. Typically, I had been arguing from a value perspective in the AMD 5000 Series product lineup. Since I sold my soul to Intel and picked up my 13900K... I have changed my mind. I am in love with this processor!

Now, my benchmarks are sitting with my CPU being between .7 - 2.4 % Slower than the 13900KS. If you think that .7 to 2.4% is worth 200 bucks extra + a high end motherboard and RAM, go for it. I'm only running DDR4 and I'm in spitting distance of the KS.

Screw the KS... That's a total waste of money. What you should be looking for is if Intel Refreshes Raptor Lake one more time at the end of the year. They're having die shrink issues with 7nm and looks like 10nm will get another + for one more hurrah. Instead of 1 - 2 % faster it will probably be 5-15% faster if we see 14th Gen Raptor Lake Processors.

Do what you want. Even if there is no refresh for Raptor Lake, I am gonna be incredibly happy with this 13900K I've got on a mid tier MB, with dirt cheap ram.

If you are hell bent on pissing away a shitload of extra money, by all means do so. Typically, I had been arguing from a value perspective in the AMD 5000 Series product lineup. Since I sold my soul to Intel and picked up my 13900K... I have changed my mind. I am in love with this processor!

Now, my benchmarks are sitting with my CPU being between .7 - 2.4 % Slower than the 13900KS. If you think that .7 to 2.4% is worth 200 bucks extra + a high end motherboard and RAM, go for it. I'm only running DDR4 and I'm in spitting distance of the KS.

Screw the KS... That's a total waste of money. What you should be looking for is if Intel Refreshes Raptor Lake one more time at the end of the year. They're having die shrink issues with 7nm and looks like 10nm will get another + for one more hurrah. Instead of 1 - 2 % faster it will probably be 5-15% faster if we see 14th Gen Raptor Lake Processors.

Do what you want. Even if there is no refresh for Raptor Lake, I am gonna be incredibly happy with this 13900K I've got on a mid tier MB, with dirt cheap ram.
Yea but I'm not going to constantly wait for the next best thing. I had a 100 Newegg gift card so I used it and got the KS for the price of the K so I'm happy lol. Pairs nicely with my Aorus Master Z790. I'm not trying to have a pissing contest or have the next best constantly in every metric etc I just want to have a nice system that will last for years. It's not that big of a deal this whole hobby is a waste of extra money you can go budget or midrange or higher end It's whatever floats your boat eh lol

I had the same exact platform 2 a few setups ago with the Rampage V Extreme +5930K and Corsair Dominator GT but I play on 4k and have a large library so much that my 6900K was running out of steam, so I needed to make a massive upgrade after like 5 years.

You don't need to worry about how it is optimized stock though you can tune it and it runs very well. After watching Derbauers video It convinced me that I will be more than happy with the 13900ks after tuning even though he only demonstrated on the 13900k.

Yea I just wanted to "max out" my Z790 Aorus Master board so I went for the chip. I'll be gaming like a champ for the next 5 years or more, you know how we do lol.

Interesting video by Derbauer. It is definitely serviceable as a gaming CPU daily driver when properly tuned. For most people it would make more sense to tune up a 13600K/F instead (as Derbauer mentions), but you aren't most people, especially being on water hehe. Have fun with the new chip :). It should be the best in the world for at least a month.
Yea it was a great video. I like how he tinkers with it more than other reviewers that just regurgitate specs etc. Derbauer is my favorite reviewer. Yea exactly for gaming it's super nice. I'm not worried about "all core" workloads or power draw I don't do any productivity anymore on my PC it is %100 pure gaming and nothing else lol. Thanks man the chip should be good for years to come :)

Reactions: t1k
like this
Intel is having problems in their R&D, with smaller silicon.

Power usage is high. But, hasn't kept them from otherwise amazing performance.

AMD's silicon from TSMC is way smaller and a fair bit more efficient on total power usage. But, their overall performance is still roughly the same. And Zen 4's push to 95c always is clearly a toss to make sure their performance isn't clearly worse.

AMD pushes it to 95'C because the chiplets are small and can't transfer as much heat to the cooler so at 230W it's really pushing it past an unnecessary point. Running it at 180W causes no real performance loss while the temps are 85'C or less . Also, while Der8auer's testing was great he used a pretty narrow subset of tests and mostly gaming. In general Zen 4 scales much better as you lower the power budget, see the recent AT article. I think launching the X3D at 120W is perfect, as they lose no performance in gaming at 120W anyway.

AMD pushes it to 95'C because the chiplets are small and can't transfer as much heat to the cooler so at 230W it's really pushing it past an unnecessary point. Running it at 180W causes no real performance loss while the temps are 85'C or less . Also, while Der8auer's testing was great he used a pretty narrow subset of tests and mostly gaming. In general Zen 4 scales much better as you lower the power budget, see the recent AT article. I think launching the X3D at 120W is perfect, as they lose no performance in gaming at 120W anyway.
Ya I'm sure AMD is also efficient but the 13900k/f/s parts are also very or even more efficient with more cores while pushing higher FPS.

Derbauer shows in the video for those that haven't watched it in gaming he lowered the watt to half and only lost about %10 percent performance. He also demonstrated using only 40 watt all the way up to 320 watt results for gaming and how it scales power to watt charts.
He also demonstrated locked watt CPU vs CPU and they are very competitive with each other although the Intel chip is faster in gaming no matter what the watt used low or high which was nice to see. It's fast in high power and even faster in lower power use.
Also you can't directly compare the chips vs each other as they have different core counts and architecture design. The Intel chip has the most physical cores. It's not an apples to apples comparison. To me comparison doesn't matter because my platform has always been Intel I'm just more comfortable and familiar with it so the results are interesting from a performance standpoint not a comparison. AMD is great, but I just don't care cause I'm not interested in that platform.

I just tested how much power draw hyperthreading uses under load in my 12700kf and it was 30w. Turning off hyperthreading on a 13900k/f/s should make a massive difference since you don't need it for gaming or normal desktop usage. Turning off 8 or 12 e-cores will also reduce another big amount of power used since you don't need any more than 12 cores total 8 p cores and 4 e cores I would say, Most would probably say even 12 is overkill or 16 absolute max. I can't wait to get this thing on Monday I am certain it's going to be amazing for gaming.

Pay super premium Intel price and then turn everything off so it's efficient. Working out just as predicted, nice.
But I don't do any productivity work and just want the best gaming chip. No need for more than 12 cores for gaming. Some of them will be 6ghz. Just as predicted, nice lol.

Also, can turn them back on with the flick of a switch. Paid the same price as thousands of people paid for the K version whom are all more than satisfied and happy with their purchase. Compared to GPU prices not really that super of a premium if you can get the best motherboard and CPU why not It's fun 😊

But I don't do any productivity work and just want the best gaming chip. No need for more than 12 cores for gaming. Some of them will be 6ghz. Just as predicted, nice lol.

Also, can turn them back on with the flick of a switch. Paid the same price as thousands of people paid for the K version whom are all more than satisfied and happy with their purchase. Compared to GPU prices not really that super of a premium if you can get the best motherboard and CPU why not It's fun 😊
There is no point in trying to justify your purchase to every critic. People get so caught up on numbers and brand names. In the end, all that matters is that the owner of the equipment is happy. If you get slightly better frames or slightly worse than CPU X, Y, or Z; it doesn't matter. Living a happy life with those that love you is everything.

I'd leave all the cores on and post scores showing power draw at stock, max, and an efficiency focused mode. That would be interesting data to read!

Thanks for staying [H] bro.

There is no point in trying to justify your purchase to every critic. People get so caught up on numbers and brand names. In the end, all that matters is that the owner of the equipment is happy. If you get slightly better frames or slightly worse than CPU X, Y, or Z; it doesn't matter. Living a happy life with those that love you is everything.

I'd leave all the cores on and post scores showing power draw at stock, max, and an efficiency focused mode. That would be interesting data to read!

Thanks for staying [H] bro.
You are absolutely right. Although I do have fun debating about it on the forums. Sharing ideas and setups is all in good fun. Like you said it's all about the happiness. :)

I am absolutely going to test the 13900KS CPU at stock, then undervolted, then with hyperthreading turned off, then 8 e cores turned off, then 12 e cores turned off. I want to see the difference specifically for gaming. Not for anything else. So stay tuned I will definitely have interesting data for you to see :)

I want to get the highest clocks while having the lowest power draw to keep my PC room as cool as possible within reason. I'm excited about testing and sharing the information. I would have had the chip yesterday, but I was at work when they tried to
deliver it and it requires a signature which means I need to pick it up from a UPS drop off point on Monday then wait till next weekend to have enough time to install it. So, looking forward to that.

I wonder how many cores can run at 6ghz with hyperthreading turned off and 12 e cores turned off. That would be an eye opener. Although I'm pretty sure that's reaching for the stars. To be honest I'm going to be happy with much less than 6ghz all core so It's not even going to matter even if it's just 2 cores at 6hgz or 4 cores, I just wanna tinker with it a bit lol.

If I'm reading my UEFI settings right, I can raise the possible boost clock without pushing an "all core" OC. Once you get the heat / power under control, you might be able to get some cores to hold over 6GHz.

If I'm reading my UEFI settings right, I can raise the possible boost clock without pushing an "all core" OC. Once you get the heat / power under control, you might be able to get some cores to hold over 6GHz.
Oh definitely, watch this guys video he goes into deep detail.

He also said he was going to do another even more in depth video next week so stay tuned.
To be fair this guy does push the voltage above 1.4 even 1.5 he's pretty wild lol.

Back