5870 no longer displaying signal but friends 5870 works just fine

CIB24

Limp Gawd
My XFX 5870 has been working great for months and I have never had a problem. I have had it running at stock clocks recently and was playing a bit of Battlefield 3 last night and went to bed. In the middle of the night after my downloads had finished I put the computer into sleep mode as I always do. However, this morning when I turned my PC back on there was no signal to my monitor. I shut the computer down and booted it back up a few times but no signal once again. I haven't cleared the CMOS or uninstalled the drivers yet but I did manage to plug in my flatmates Sapphire 5870 into my PC and it booted up just fine. It is hard to think that the card could be defective as it was working just fine literally hours before I put the PC to sleep and has never once given me trouble. What could it be?

I see you mention that you plugged your friends card into your computer and it works fine, but have you tried plugging your card into your friends computer and see if it works on his?
If it does not work on his , then well, your card has apparently died.

Components can be fine one minute and not working the next. I have seen a new Corsair PSU go bad over night while in sleep mode. I have had my HT DVD player stop reading disc 2 hours after I last turned it off due to a bad transport. Things happen. Do as Seithennin suggested and try your card in his system. Chances are it will not work. Time for an RMA.

Just tested every symptom I could think of. The card will not post no matter what. I listened to it during startup and the fan initially turns on just like the XFX with the same amount of RPM and noise. Then after 30-45 seconds the fan drops to silent levels and the card heats up very very quickly to where the back plate is even hot to the touch.

I suppose there isn't much else I can do except try it on another persons computer and see if it works...

Back